Sponsored by:

Bay Area leather seat restorer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:48 PM
RPMzen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area leather seat restorer

Hello, I idiotically made a hole on my seat bolster in my '95 Cab. The seat is a bit worn too so now would be a good time to refinish. I was told Liefer M. was the man to contact so I sent him pics and he said he couldn't do anything about the hole. he suggested Val's. I will go there and have them look but would love to get any names of people RL's have used and liked. I rather repair and refinish to keep things as original as possible, but will consider new covers if accolades are strong. I am specifically seeking referrals for a master of hole repair...not just a re-dye Thanks!!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 PM
1997 turbo s
Advanced

Cook's in Redwood city.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

If you are in the North Bay, I'd try:

Franzini Bros Auto Upholstery
139 Carlos Dr.
415-479-3420
Mike

They did some work on my '80 SC and brought the interior back to as good as new AND came in under budget.

While I'm unsure that they can fix your hole, they are straight-shooters and the only shop up here that I will let work on a Porsche.

No affiliation yada yada yada...good luck with the repair!
Old 04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+++ Cook's in RWC…… They replaced a left seat back bolster panel, driver's side, on my '88 3.2, as it was well worn from former owners "sliding in" to the seat. I brought the seat over to them and they pulled the entire cover off the seat back, stitched in a new panel, dyed to match, and good to this day! Stop by and check out my car and see for yourself……...
Old 04-14-2015, 12:54 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Hey there RPMzen,

You know, you still haven't introduced yourself properly, mit fotos, beaucoup de photos, to the the 993 RL crowd yet.

Are you going to show us your new acquisition with bumperette deletion soon?

Your pal in disclosure,
jlaa

Old 04-14-2015, 02:08 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by david
If you are in the North Bay, I'd try:

Franzini Bros Auto Upholstery
139 Carlos Dr.
415-479-3420
Mike

They did some work on my '80 SC and brought the interior back to as good as new AND came in under budget.

While I'm unsure that they can fix your hole, they are straight-shooters and the only shop up here that I will let work on a Porsche.

No affiliation yada yada yada...good luck with the repair!
I went to Franzini Bros' to get their opinion on the seats in my 993. I was told new seat covers are in order (several re-dyes and badly applied leatherique that's peeling off). The challenge is sourcing covers that match the red of my interior. Franzini uses GAHH brand covers, and GAHH doesn't have my color.

Anyhow, the fellow who helped me was very friendly and very honest. He quoted my a fair price and time estimate for the labor of replacing the seat covers. There was no hustling or hard selling on his part. Just a fellow car enthusiast sharing his hands on knowledge.

Oh, and Sammy Hagar's 2003 BMW Alpina (with red interior) was in the shop having some work done. Too much top down fun and not enough leather conditioner.

I certainly plan to give these guys my business in the future if I can source some seat covers in the correct color.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:26 AM
RPMzen
Rennlist Member

Will give Cooks a call for sure. Thanks for the tip...if that doest work out, Francine's for full blown recovers.

Jlaa...haha, still in the shop, they outsource all of their bumper work to a place in Union City. Should be done end of week.

Then the next stop is the detailer, looking at Keatley or considering going for gold with California Detailers, but their prices are crazy high. But the car has some paint issues and I hope to get them corrected.

Anyway...no one cares about the Cabs, we are the red headed step child of the 993 family. I just like ragtops because I want to enjoy the golden age of global warming.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:08 PM
RPMzen
Rennlist Member

I called Cooks in RC. (Cook's Collision). FYI, they outsource all leather work to:

http://www.bascomtrim.com

Unless I called the wrong Cook's in RC.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:20 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMzen
I called Cooks in RC. (Cook's Collision). FYI, they outsource all leather work to:

http://www.bascomtrim.com

Unless I called the wrong Cook's in RC.
Even I know they are not a body shop…

http://www.cooksupholstery.com
Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 PM
RPMzen
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob. Poor Googling on my end. Insert "Im an idiot smiley" here.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:51 PM
1997 turbo s
Advanced

Craig at Cook's is a great guy. He is really busy so often don't answer his phone. If you get a chance, drop by his shop. You will see a lot of cool collector cars. Lambos, Ferraris, MB...
Old 04-14-2015, 07:22 PM
RPMzen
Rennlist Member

Just left a message. I wonder if they can do touch up work on paint.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob Grigsby from RMG in Sunnyvale recommended this shop when I wanted my hardbacks R&R'ed and painted. I didn't get any upholstery work done, other than the removal and reinstallation of the leather covers on the seats, but if and when I have some work to do on any of my cars, I plan to go here.

I was very impressed by the work in the shop and how my car was treated.

http://www.finishlineinteriors.com/
Old 04-15-2015, 02:10 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used FinishLine to refurbish the seats in my 914. They are a high end shop and do beautiful work.

It cost me $2500 to have both seats rebuilt (new foam) and leather instead of vinyl with velour inserts as per stock.

Very pleased

Quick Reply: Bay Area leather seat restorer