993 Supple Leather Option

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 PM
MD993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 993 Supple Leather Option

Hi to all !
I just saw I car I am interested in buying and I want your help on something.

This car has leather wrapped dashboard, leather center console, leather door handles and the supple seats.

To be honest, even though in the pictures supple leather doesn't look good in my opinion, up close it looks nice.

My question is was it possible to order leather dashboard, center console and doors with Normal Seats (not supple leather, the ones with the small holes) ??

Thanks !

MD993
Old 04-12-2015, 07:54 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Once knew the 993's option list back and forth, color codes you name it... those were the day's.

Yes, the Full Leather option was fitted with standard leather bucket seats, perforations included. The production bucket seats could be optionally fitted with various electric motorized operation, heat, supple leather surfaces, etc. Although a supple leather request draws the companion Full Leather selection.....

IIRC when ordering the Full leather option, standard bucket seating and leather surfaces were included; this is USA production. Although additional options such as sport seating and or the optional hardback Racing seats could change things. The "supple leather" style seating surfaces was not available with the hardback Racing seat option. The Supple Leather seating surface option used a higher + grade leather. Its nice.

The Full Leather Interior selection looks, feels and smells great, especially 18 years on ....
Old 04-12-2015, 08:02 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I have supple leather seats front & rear - the leather is not perforated.

Andreas
Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
The "supple leather" style seating surfaces was not available with the hardback Racing seat option.
Supple leather hardbacks were available, just not very popular....
Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I have supple leather seats front & rear - the leather is not perforated.

Andreas
I have two 993 with either option. Andreas is correct that the supple leather option is not perforated. It has full leather at the back vs. vinyl. The regular seats have the perforated middle pieces and vinyl in the outside and back.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:28 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 408 Likes on 123 Posts

You can have full leather that is not supple, they were two separate options. In my opinion I much prefer full leather/non supple. They are commonly ordered together, so I think the combination is more prevalent.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Guys,
Really you can't have any of these options any more as the 993 is no longer made by Porsche. However an aftermarket seat guy can make the seats any way you want so my answer is you can have it any way you want,
Andy
Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 131 Posts

I have the supple leather seats without full leather option. Initially before I had seen the setup in person I had reservations as I did not think that I would like it, but in fact now prefer it to the regular perforated seats! I feel it actually wears better over time (as you don't see mini cracks and creases forming as you do on the perf seats). The rear seat being full leather vs. vinyl is an added benefit, gives it richer/plusher feel. Also, has an effect that brakes the 'monotony' of the cabin a bit, especially in my case with classic gray. Just my $0.02 FWIW...
Old 04-13-2015, 01:13 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+1 Supple leather "hardback sports seats" not very popular.

In April of 1997 when ordering the MY98 coupe its production date changed twice in order to satisfy the "heated ver. hardback seats" option request. In May of '97 PAG gave alert that Supple Leather w/heated HB seats were not available. My coupe does have Full Leather, its nice.

Since, I'd swear there is a picture out there of a 993 Turbo S with supple leather HB sport seats... I've viewed it with my own eyes ..

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Supple leather hardbacks were available, just not very popular....
Old 04-13-2015, 01:33 PM
MD993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for you replies !
The purpose of my question is because I really like to Full Leather option, but at the same time I also like the perforated seats.
So would the car be considered "original" (besides the the factory codes on the service book) if I were to change the fabric of the seat to perforated??
The supple looks nice, but it has some wear over 2 decades... Furthermore, I would look into fixing the rear seats so that they don't have wrinkles (supple) but the leather is tight....
Overall though the Full Leather option brings up the quality of the car !

Quick Reply: 993 Supple Leather Option