Dead Reliable

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:16 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Outside of routine maintenance, in the 14 years I've owned my car (-63K mikes), the only parts that needed replacement were a broken window switch and a leaking AC line.
Glad to see you have had outstanding reliability! Statements like this beg for trouble.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:44 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Glad to see you have had outstanding reliability! Statements like this beg for trouble.
If somebody takes good care of the car from early on, even modern cars can last long time without much trouble. Of course you may get unlucky and get a defective car from factory. There is a reason for 1-2 owner premium.

I've had benz for 6 years since new, and it's been as good as toyota. According to many, the car should have exploded 2 years ago when warranty ran out.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:02 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
If somebody takes good care of the car from early on, even modern cars can last long time without much trouble. Of course you may get unlucky and get a defective car from factory. There is a reason for 1-2 owner premium.

I've had benz for 6 years since new, and it's been as good as toyota. According to many, the car should have exploded 2 years ago when warranty ran out.
i will give you a $100 bill if ANYONE can factually substantiate ANY correlation to the numbers of owners vs. reliability.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:14 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
i will give you a $100 bill if ANYONE can factually substantiate ANY correlation to the numbers of owners vs. reliability.

Lol
ANY correlation? There is always correlation, unless it's exactly zero. And even if there was high positive correlation, causation is what we would be interested in.

I think it's simple, person who plans to keep the car for a while takes good care of it, and if it's not troublesome car, he/she ends up keeping for longer.

But yea, there is exception to every rule. And people sell/buy cars for all kind of reasons.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:22 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I dunno about reliable. But relatively easy to fix is more like it...

In the 3.5 years I owned my old 993 C4S (102K miles when I bought it) I had the following issues: torn CV boot, rear bearings, valve and chain cover leaks, clutch, slave cylinder, rear spoiler wall, front control arm bushings. I'm probably forgetting a few things... I sold the car w. 112K miles.

In the year and a half I've owned my current 993 (got it with 104K miles and currently have 112K on it), I had to replace the rear control arms, front control arm bushings, battery, starter, window switch, alternator belt (broke), oil pressure gauge, and steering wheel stalk module.

And that's apart from regular maintenance. But I do enjoy driving these cars and yes, both of my cars have been over 100K mile examples. So unlike the number of pirates, the number of miles seems to be something to keep in mind when you talk about reliability.

Quick Reply: Dead Reliable