993 Forum 1995-1998

Cabriolet top adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:10 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cabriolet top adjustment

I continue to struggle to get the convertible top adjusted perfectly on my 95 Cab. Basically, one of the cables that lift the top broke and bent one of the small top frame pieces as i outlined in an earlier series of notes in this forum.

My indy did a great job getting the top back to almost perfect and saving me the replacement cost of the entire top. (Per several dealers including sunset you cannot just buy the one bent replacement piece, you have to purchase the entire assembly for about 7 grand. /boggles)

The top is almost perfect but is off about 1/8 inch on the front of the drivers side, which forces the window out and makes the back of the window slightly off.

One of the mechanics told me there is a "procedure" outlined by Porsche in a service manual which helps top alignment in these cars. Most Porsche mechanics working now have never done such a fix on these old cars.

Can anyone point me towards or reproduce the document outlining the "procedure" for me?

On a more encouraging note, I stopped in Bend, Oregon today at the Porsche dealership and customers and salesmen alike marveled at how "wonderful" my old girl looked, even if her roof is 1/8th off. One of the salesmen offered to "take her off your hands".

Addendum: I've seen this: http://p-car.com/diy/cabtop/. I'm looking for more.

As wonderful as these cars are, the cab top is a miserable, finicky, POS design. (I'm biased, however.)
Old 04-04-2015, 09:15 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

If I remember correctly, I had some wind noise from both my windows. The rubber seal on the top can be adjusted in and out to press correctly against the glass. If you check out the seals in the tops frame, there are a few screws that can be loosened and the rubber seal can be manipulated. My 993 cab is still in the "bubble" for winter storage, so I cannot go out and check. I also remember the window itself can be slightly adjusted up and down and also the top edge can be adjusted in and out.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:37 PM
mesprit87
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is if something is bent, there is so much any adjustment can do to fix your problem. There must be some cabriolet parts available from a specialty dismantler.
From messing with mine, I know adjusting the threaded rods (below the gearboxes) can actually shift things a little at the front. Still I'm not sure where is your misalignment. Pictures would help.
I've been looking for a real procedure too ( for weeks) until I decided to plunge and try stuff a little at a time.

Good luck, keep us posted if you find anything.
Luc
Old 04-05-2015, 04:08 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Glass is impacting the seal just below my finger.

The weather seal seems to be pushed out slightly

I'm not sure if there are adjustment screws on the inside rail, I don't see anything, but have not removed the inner seal. I'll note that the top seems to track smoothly both with power and manually. The shop did not touch the door and the window is not showing signs of any regulator failure. If the window is UP and contacts the weather seal it prevents the door from closing smoothly. If the window is open slightly, the door closes perfectly. Thus I'm positive its from the seal and not a door problem.

I'm not seeing where the seals can be adjusted. I know how the adjust the door glass, but the door glass seems to be perfect...its just one spot in the weather seal that seems to be a bit too far out. This pushes the entire top of the glass out, so that at the back of the window the glass doesn't touch the seal. It makes it noisy, prevents the door from closing, and prevents a good weather seal.

I think BLE2011's suggestion to adjust the seal might work, but I'm not seeing adjustment screws.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Old 04-05-2015, 05:11 PM
ble2011
Drifting

I wish I could snap some pics of where I adjusted mine (it was quite some time ago). Once I take it out of storage (possibly next weekend), I'll get some pics and provide you with more detail.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:30 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ble2011
I wish I could snap some pics of where I adjusted mine (it was quite some time ago). Once I take it out of storage (possibly next weekend), I'll get some pics and provide you with more detail.
That would be fantastic. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

I have some spare cab top frame parts that are not bent. Send me a PM with the part number/s you need and I might be able to set you up.

Regards,

Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 PM
mesprit87
Rennlist Member

Does you problem taper off as you look at the aft portion of the glass? Or the seal catches all along?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:14 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would that help???

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...om-my-cab.html
Old 04-08-2015, 08:48 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

You've no idea how much that helped!!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:30 PM
mesprit87
Rennlist Member

Nice catch, finding what you need on this forum is a piece of work (even with the search engine which I find has mind of its own...)
Old 04-10-2015, 08:11 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Originally Posted by jg291446
This is the DIY I followed. Hope this solves it for you.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Motivator
Cruisin'

mespirt87,
do have any more info on how to adjust the threaded rods?
my top has started not latching down on the passenger side, without some help by hand.
I hope that is just that it is not far enough forward.
thanks
Old 04-10-2015, 03:58 PM
dhrye
Intermediate

I have the exact same thing happening on the passenger side. In fact, I started another thread a few months ago with pictures that look the same as the ones posted here. Someone led me to believe a window adjustment was necessary. I hope this thread has saved me a great deal of time. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2015, 02:35 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mesprit87
Nice catch, finding what you need on this forum is a piece of work (even with the search engine which I find has mind of its own...)
The search function does indeed have a mind of its own. I usually start with advanced search and if that fails, I then use google to search the site.

For example:

In google, I might type something like this:
convertible top adjustment site:rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/

Google does a better job indexing the site most of the time. Stuff still hides, however. I didn't find the top adjustment link in this thread, for example.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet top adjustment