OT: Looking for suggestions on a new floor jack

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 01:02 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
How much does that jack weigh?
Sorry, not sure. It's well made and fairly heavy.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

This Harbor Freight unit has served me well. Low enough to get under car and light in weight with a quick pump.

I can move like a Nascar pit stop crew member.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ump-62247.html
Old 04-04-2015, 01:40 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For those using HF jacks, have you had squeaking noise? Mine is brand new and noisy when pumping it fast. I don't know if I should spray some WD or exchange. It works fine so far.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
For those using HF jacks, have you had squeaking noise? Mine is brand new and noisy when pumping it fast. I don't know if I should spray some WD or exchange. It works fine so far.
mine is quiet, but my big red torin thats about 8 years old squeeks.

If its not a pain to get to HF, I would just exchange it. They will take ANYTHING back without a question.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:24 AM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was a very helpful thread. I attempted to pickup one of the Arcan/Costco jacks earlier this week but it seems they are no longer available.

So instead, I pulled the trigger on the HF 62326 jack.

BTW - the number of user reviews on the HF website that imply that people are keeping cars overnight supported only by the jack is just downright frightening.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

My two cents on the HF 2 ton low profile jack. Total utter failure after less than 18 months in service, leaking hydraulic fluid everywhere. HF only warrants for 90 days. Looking for a new floor jack...

Old 05-15-2016, 04:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
My two cents on the HF 2 ton low profile jack. Total utter failure after less than 18 months in service, leaking hydraulic fluid everywhere. HF only warrants for 90 days. Looking for a new floor jack...
Jim,
I've had two made-in-China Craftsman aluminum jacks fail over the last ten years. I had a very close call last year when the jack suddenly dropped, smacking me upside my head with the edge of my 4Runner's receiver hitch.

I took the plunge a few months ago and finally purchased the AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ jack. Works like a champ and I no longer stack pieces of random wood in order to lift the 993. Beautiful piece.

Name:  FC90385F-AEB0-422B-AF42-67A795E1FC50_zpsudn1fh7h.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  116.2 KB

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 05-15-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:23 PM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Jim,
I've had two made-in-China Craftsman aluminum jacks fail over the last ten years. I had a very close call last year when the jack suddenly dropped, smacking me upside my head with the edge of my 4Runner's receiver hitch.

I took the plunge a few months ago and finally purchased the AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ jack. Works like a champ and I no longer stack pieces of random wood in order to lift the 993. Beautiful piece.

Andreas
I also have the same jack, and love it!

Andy
Old 05-15-2016, 08:32 PM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had multiple short lived floor jacks over the years, I've been very happy with my current Arcan XL2T 2 ton for a little over a year now. It goes pretty low, down to about 3" and up to 24", very stable and works better than all of the other jacks I've tried. I got it on Amazon with free shipping which was great for such a heavy item.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Well, isn't that a bummer. I've put the same HF jack through a lot of use over the past 2 years. It's probably due to break. Glad you didn't get hurt.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:44 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by euge
+993 on this low profile, extended reach jack!
I got an extra $20 off with a coupon
Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm considering both the AC, and the Arcan XL35. Andy, were you able to source the AC for less than the $550 you didn't want to pay? I've found the Arcan for $180 shipped, but I'd pay a few bucks more for that AC unit. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpoint
To OP - there are several viable options listed here. The HFT jacks are the cheapest in the market - but not the worst. The Brunnhoelzl is the most expensive, most unique, and the only US made jack in this thread thus far. It's worth noting among the jacks in the thread only the AC and the Brunnhoelzl are NOT made in China. Some Chinese jacks are quite good - some not so much so. The HFT jacks are generally not bad but probably won't last forever. That said - my first HFT jack is 10 years old and still works (but my first Craftman jack is working after 30 years - though I wouldn't promise that from the current batch). Nobody mentioned the OTC aluminum jack which is quite nice and has a strong reputation. Also the Omega jack in the thread is the same jack SFA (Omega's parent company) made for MAC tools. The Arcan jacks discussed above from Costco are sourced from Sunex - and are among the few ANSI rated jacks in the picture. Hein Werner jacks are still made in the US but they don't have much in the "low profile" group. Which you buy is a matter of taste, budget, and expected use. Be careful about getting a cheap, small jack if you plan to use it anywhere OTHER than a smooth garage floor. I've used the NOS 1.5 ton aluminum (from Sunex) on paddock roads and others. The others had a tendency to twist or lean more than the NOS. In aluminum 2 ton the OTC, the Arcan (Jegs and Sunex sell the same jack), and the Omega are nice. HFT has several aluminum jacks that are pretty good (I'd go 2 ton or better). The Brunnhoelzl Pro Series Flat is the lowest minimum pick up height of anything on the market and made by the company that invented the light weight floor jack. It is also a true racing jack (popular in NASCAR pit crews) and priced accordingly. In steel - the Sunex/Arcan product is nice, the AC is as indicated in this thread, the Omega is also a professional grade rebuild-able jack - but huge and heavy (though quite low at 2.5" minimum pick up). If low profile is your aim - the lowest will be the Brunnhoelzl - 2", the Omega 2.5", the AC, the Sunex 6602LP (and Arcan equivalents) all at about 2.75", and the HFT 61253 2.87" - all coming in at under 3" minimum. Most of the rest are industry standard 3.5" minimum.
After researching floor jacks all week following the failure of my HF 2 ton low profile jack (http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-68050.html), I can truly appreciate how incredibly informative JPoint's post above is. I believe that the Brunnhoelzl is actually 2.2" - not 2" (see Jackpoint's website, they now carry Brunnhoelzl: http://shop.jackpointjackstands.com/...PJ-BRI-003.htm ), and the AC DK13HLQ is 3.14" - not 2.75" (See AC website which indicates a minimum height of 80mm: http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/en/produc...jacks/dk13hlq/). But what a great summary!

Giving the middle-aged/overweight corvette guys some credit, I also ran across this excellent thread comparing the AC DK13HLQ to the Omega. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...c-dk13hlq.html This is a great read and opened my eyes to the Omega 29023 Magic Lift (Also the ATD 7325 made by same parent company - [url]http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Design-Model-ATD-7325-Profile/dp/B000OUZVK0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1221528938&sr=8-1&tag=viglink20400-20.

A great comparison, but it ignores the fact that the AC lifts close to 29" while the Omega lifts to a maximum of only 20".

The clearance on my lowered 993 is only 4" to the jack points, and I need some room for a jackpoint jack plate or at least a hockey puck. According to Jackpoint's website "The low profile JackPoint pad resting on a standard racing jack will require approximately 4 1/2" - 5" of ground clearance to the car's jacking location assuming the jack's minimum pick up height is 3 1/2". Using lower pick up jacks like the Omega 29025 or the Griot's floor jack will lower the needed ground clearance by about 1 inch." That means I need a floor jack with a maximum height of about 2.5". That unfortunately rules out the AC and the Arcan models.

So I seem to be down to four choices:

1. The Omega 29023 (2.5" min. height, max. height 20" - $243.75) http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...fWqhoCjg3w_wcB
2. ATD 7325 (identical to Omega)
Amazon.com: Advanced Tool Design Model  ATD-7325  2 Ton Extra Low Profile Tuner Jack: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Advanced Tool Design Model ATD-7325 2 Ton Extra Low Profile Tuner Jack: Home Improvement
3. Another HF 2 ton low profile (2 5/8" min. height, 23 1/4" max. height - $139) http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-68050.html
4. Brunnhoelzl Pro Series Low Profile (2.2" min. height, 23" max. height - $1,050 if purchased with pair of jackpoint jack stands) http://shop.jackpointjackstands.com/...PJ-BRI-003.htm

The Brunnhoelzl is tempting, but hard to justify spending 7.5 times what the HF jack costs. So unless I need an extra 1/8" clearance to squeeze in the jack point plates (still waiting to hear form Jackpoint on the precise height), I will probably eat my words and end up with another HF low profile jack. But I will never trust that HF jack, and will be sure to always install the jackpoint jack stands before going under the car.

Last edited by Foxman; 05-18-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:38 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I use the AC DK20 with a hockey puck in the cradle on my lowered 993 and it works great. Best jack I've ever owned. I particularly like the handle, the quick rise pedal and the smooth, controllable lowering action which is a one hand operation.

I also own the HF special everyone has mentioned, but it's like comparing a tuk-tuk to a Porsche.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:44 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
I use the AC DK20 with a hockey puck in the cradle on my lowered 993 and it works great. Best jack I've ever owned. I particularly like the handle, the quick rise pedal and the smooth, controllable lowering action which is a one hand operation.

I also own the HF special everyone has mentioned, but it's like comparing a tuk-tuk to a Porsche.
Thanks Brad. That AC jack looks solid, (Edit - my bad, made in Denmark). I just wish the AC's minimum height spec'd out just a little bit lower. Both the 1.3 ton and 2 ton AC units are 80mm minimum height, i.e., 3 1/8". ROW height would be fine, as there's over 5 1/2" of clearance to the jack points at ROW height. But my silver 993 has an Uwe Gemballa suspension, and the car is pretty well slammed. Here's a pic depicting the ride height (two weeks ago at Thompson CT). Also a photo mensuring out the meager 4" of clearance under my front jack point. I might be able to shave down a hockey puck, but the Jackpoint pad at almost 1 1/2" on top of a 3 1/8" jack height adds up to 4 5/8" and that's too big.

This ultra low profile OTC jack looks like it might fit the bill. It has a minimum saddle height of only 1 7/8". It only rises 20" or so, but this may be the right jack for my 993 with the Gemballa suspension. Built in Spain it's a sister to the Griot's low profile, but lower. Interested if anyone is using this... http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...6cMRoCEenw_wcB

Ride height of Uwe Gemballa suspension

4" clearance is all there is to the front jack points

Last edited by Foxman; 05-19-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: Looking for suggestions on a new floor jack