Sponsored by:

C4 Cab vs. Targa for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 03:36 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post C4 Cab vs. Targa for DE?

I have a 95 C4 Cab that I am considering trading in for a Targa (no doubt I will lose money on this transaction). The main reasons are:

1) Would like to use the car for DEs;
2) Like the looks of the targa better.

Are there any restrictions with using a Targa for DEs (like having to install a rollbar)? Any thoughts on what a pristine 1995 C4 cab with a brand new top, polar silver, 17" wheels, 50K, cd changer, etc. is worth in the SF Bay Area (not enough, I'm sure)?
Old 01-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts
I track a cab so I pay attention to these rules, but I have never heard of any issues with Targas, other than having to run with the top secured. I participated in DE's with 9 different groups last year (on the East coast), and they all have different rules. Check with your local club(s) that you would run with. All the info is usually on the web.
Jack
1990 C4 Cab
ps - I use a bolt-in DAS roll-bar http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jbalthasar/safety.htm
Old 01-02-2002, 06:09 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Living in the Bay area I guess a open top is important to you. The Targa is not exactly a perfect engineering set up as a road car. Start twisting the body around a track at speed and I think you are looking for trouble. I guess a DE event or two a year would not hurt. If you are serious about the track driving go to a coupe. Sunroof vs targa top can't be a huge reduction in sun space. Hauling all that extra glass arond a race track, leaks, wind noise...
Old 01-02-2002, 06:27 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Bill - can I infer from your remarks that the C4 cab may be a better DE car than the Targa (assuming I am willing to get a rollbar)?
Old 01-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
In my opinion the cab would stiffen up enough with a roll bar and strut tower brace to have some track fun. You can also clamp on the hardtop. The value of the car would not be effected as I think the Traga value would.The car would hold up just fine with track driving. The targa (here come the flames from the targa owners) just was never intended for that type of use.

I have owned 5 911 Targas and was ready to buy a 993 Targa until I investigated the light track use issue.

Before you pile the miles up on your '95 buy a '97 Cab. No wiring harness issue and a few more ponies. '95 Cabs are $36 to $42K in our area.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:08 PM
993Widebody
Racer

The 993 Targa is based on a 993 cab with the glass roof and the side beams bolted on to the B-Pillars. Therefore the Targa is at least as stiff as the cab, probably a bit more. I had a 993 Targa for 2 years, it worked perfectly and performed well on the track. If you are looking to do hard core DE(advancing to the black run groups, or more than 4 events a year) you should probably stick to a coupe. However, to have some fun on the track a few times a year, the Targa is just fine.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:53 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zcat - I have a '98 Targa that I might be willing to considering trading with you. If this would be of interest, please email me at hanfrac@yahoo.com.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZCAT -
I'd have to agree with Rob. The cab offers no advantages to the Targa in terms of weight or stiffness. I'd put a strut brace on ANY 993 I was tracking and the roll-bar thing is at your discretion. You COULD add a bar to a Targa for stiffness, but you probably won't be required to in order to run.

If you are going to do 2 or 3 DE's a year, then I think the Targa would do fine, plus you get the advantage of a MUCH larger open air experience than a coupe w/sunroof without the hassles of a soft top.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:08 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hanfranc - I sent uyou an e-mail to your yahoo account.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:23 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Hmmm... This is disappointing news. I was just about to begin my search for a Targa. My goal is to have one really nice Porsche that I can tweek here and there if I want and one project Porsche so that I can play with it and have a place to spend my money.
Anyway, this is the first time in a LONG time that I've been headed toward spring without a convertible in the stable. It's already bothering me despite the cold weather. I was hoping that I could replace all of my cars with a 993 Targa and that it would suit all of my needs.
The problem is that I run 18-20 track days a year in our B-group (middle of the road: A = racers, B = advanced, C = novice).
Now I have to figure out my options... AGAIN.
-Jon
'94 968 Coupe
'87 928S4
'84 928S
'72 911T (The Project car)
... Thinking about a C2S now!

Quick Reply: C4 Cab vs. Targa for DE?