Sponsored by:

Looking at gettin my first p-car

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:11 AM
Clynn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at gettin my first p-car

I've wanted one since I was a kid and I'm now at a point where I've taken care of my obligations as a responsible provider and I'm ready to do something for me. I've gone back and forth on what type of 911 to pursue and ive settled on th 993 based on its relative simplicity and classic good looks.

I've been watching cars available nationally, but I've recently run across one locally that seems to fit the bill. It's a 97 NB manual with 80k miles. It is bone stock except for the radio. I've spoken with the mechanic at the shop where car is currently having a service and he believes it to be in good shape. The shop is the real deal independent repair and racing facility, so I trust his judgement.

Interior is clean, but the exterior has some issues. Hood was damaged and resprayed due to road hazard damage. There are two paint blemishes on the rear bumper and two on the roof where it appears someone got too aggressive with a buffer and burned through the paint

Some history is available with the car. I'm going to look at it this week. What questions should I ask? How big of a deal is getting paint partially resprayed to fix the blemishes (each about the size of a silver dollar)?

Any ballpark estimates on price? Thanks for any information.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:57 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi and welcome. Every question you ask has been answered many times. You might start with the search function.

Best wishes with the 97!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

Read this:
http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...buy_guide.html

Then search for buying advice, 993 prices etc.
Lots of good info here but you need to dig.

Also, just because the shop says it is in good shape does not mean it does not deserve another good, thorough look.

Good luck.

--Michael
Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clynn
...993 based on its relative simplicity.
i wouldnt call it simple. every task is usually dealing with 10 pounds of crap stuffed into a 5 pound bag. if you want simple go 964 or older. i was tempted to swap older but cant give up the looks...
good luck in your search
Old 03-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Clynn
Track Day

Thanks guys. I've been stalking the forums for some time now and I've read many of the buyers guides. Michael, the one you recommend was very good.

Let me rephrase my question. From what I've read, original paint seems to be a big deal and 80k miles is apparently a tipping point for price. It seems that certain components tend to need replacing around this point. I'm looking at a car that need a partial respray and is at that tipping point. These seem to be valid concerns, but at what price point should I feel comfortable. Price is higher $30's and I'm thinking more mid $30's. Does that seem reasonable?

I don't want a perfect car because I'm going to drive it. But at the same time, I don't want to pay $35k for a $25k car.

Again, appreciate your thoughts and feedback.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:27 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned above, do not use the the same shop that has been servicing the car, (unless you have a history with the owner) to do a PPI.
I would not worry about a repainted hood or the need to repaint a bumper cover ect; on a 80K mile car. A clean title, no acident, well serviced car trumps paint work on a driver.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:33 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

You're entering 993 ownership at a weird time where values are a bit tricky to determine. Didn't you hear? Everyone wants an air cooled Porsche...

At the end of the day there aren't many cars around that fit the lower/mid 30s and finding a cherry example will be difficult. Good thing that you're ready to compromise on a few things. Get a proper PPI (at a different air cooled shop if this is the one selling the car) with a compression test and see what's up with it. It will give you an itemized list of what needs servicing (if anything) and what's on the horizon. If resale isn't at all on your mind, the paint work shouldn't make a difference ~ just make it pretty again!

Good luck with the purchase and/or search.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Asyou describe it I would not feel good about it and wouldn't pay more than $30k tops for it.
Don't care for patching up paint work - although it can be done. Over zealous paint buffing to the point of burning the paint sounds nasty.

I would forget it if the inside is not in great condition.

But providing the price is right with a good PPI, I might get it and be prepared to have a proper high class total repaint.

If you don't mind - or even like tinkering, it might be the 993 for you.

Is this the only one around?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:49 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW - best bang for your buck in the Porsche world is the 996 Turbo.
Have a look. [expect detractors on this forum.]
NB Not the standard 996.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There's something to be said for buying an acceptable-condition car at a reasonable price locally. The difference between mid-30s and high-30s is not so much. Take a look, make an offer, see what they say. If you pass up this one, how much time will pass before another local one pops up? If you pass on this one, how much money will you spend chasing cars on the other side of the country?

Original paint and resprays are only issues to people who care about original paint. How important is that to you?

I'd get a PPI, and go from there. It might not be a "perfect" car, but it might be the perfect car for you.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
BTW - best bang for your buck in the Porsche world is the 996 Turbo.
Have a look. [expect detractors on this forum.]
NB Not the standard 996.

If I were looking for my first 911, I'd seriously consider the 996 Turbo or possibly a GT3 right now. 996 Turbo is such a good value for the money.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Clynn
Track Day

Great feedback.

The shop is where the car has been serviced the past 5 years and they aren't selling it. I stopped by to meet the owner, inquire about future ppi services, and ask for tips on things to look for. He happened to have one in for service getting a new starter that the owner was looking to sell.

It ticks a lot of boxes and its local, which is a big deal to me. I'd rather not fly all over the country looking for the right one. I'm in Tennessee and their aren't a ton of them driving around here. I just want to make sure that I'm making a solid decision. And honestly, it makes me a bit sad that the searching part may be over if that makes any sense.

As for the 996 turbo, I considered those. But for me it's not necessarily about going fast, but it's the whole package. There are cheaper ways to go fast, but I just love the looks of the older 911's....

I should have some pics later today that I can post.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Clynn
From what I've read, original paint seems to be a big deal and 80k miles is apparently a tipping point for price. It seems that certain components tend to need replacing around this point. I'm looking at a car that need a partial respray and is at that tipping point. These seem to be valid concerns, but at what price point should I feel comfortable. Price is higher $30's and I'm thinking more mid $30's. Does that seem reasonable?

I don't want a perfect car because I'm going to drive it. But at the same time, I don't want to pay $35k for a $25k car.

Again, appreciate your thoughts and feedback.
"From what I've read, original paint seems to be a big deal and 80k miles is apparently a tipping point for price."

Original paint is a big deal if it's in great shape, or if it's a big deal to YOU. Since these cars are all coming up on 20 years old, even the most cared for cars have often had some paint, especially on the front bumper. Many, including myself, would rather have fresh new paint over tired rock-chipped front bumper paint, even if it's original.

So original paint isn't really a big deal; maybe for a low mile garage queen or if you bought an investment, but not a driver. A driver will eventually have chips and need to be painted to maintain it's looks.

80K miles is not a tipping point for price. Here's why. Even a 100K mile 993 has only been driven a tad over 5K a year. Remember, we're talking 20 year old cars. By most standards, 5K/year is considered by most to be low mileage.

"Price is higher $30's and I'm thinking more mid $30's. Does that seem reasonable?

I don't want a perfect car because I'm going to drive it. But at the same time, I don't want to pay $35k for a $25k car."

Almost all but the most neglected 993s are going to be at least in the $30K range., usually more. You don't need to worry about paying $35K for a $25K 993, because I don't think there are any $25K 993s anymore. The car you describe you're looking at doesn't sound like a $25K 993, anyway.

No matter what 993 you buy, it's going to need some money thrown at it. It's just the nature of old cars.

Due your diligence, get a PPI, expect to throw some money into any 993, and you'll be a satisfied buyer. These cars are money in the bank, so buy the best one you can afford.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Luckster
Rennlist Member

I was in your shoes last year, I was actually looking at buying a 997 for my first Porsche, I didn't even consider a 993 as they never come up for sale where I live. A local 993 just happened to became available during my search, and others have said on the forum, judging the owner and how the person treats and care for the car is one of the most important aspect of buying a 20 year old car. I was fortunate that the previous owner of my car is a true enthusiast, and the car and its record was pristine. It sounds like from your description that you've found a good 993, if you get it, you will not regret your decision on buying a 993 as your first Porsche.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Clynn
Track Day

Added some pics of the exterior, interior, and paint issues. Solid test drive. Only issue was oil smell from valve cover leak and had to mess with the sunroof to get it to close.

Quick Reply: Looking at gettin my first p-car