Sponsored by:

Oil and Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:45 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Oil and Transmission Cooler

I just installed a second oil cooler (obligatory pics attached ) and I am thinking about installing a trans cooler. I did a search and found a couple of threads but the only picture I found was a 964 guy who put the cooler in the left front fender well - I do not really want to put it there. Anyone have pics of other installations?
Attached Images   
Old 03-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Patrick Motorsports sells a kit that can be installed in a fixed wing opening. Geoffery Ring used a Tiptronic oil cooler for his gearbox and seems like a good location to me.

Here's Patrick's setup on an early 911.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2015, 11:42 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile I was thinking of the same project...

...when I had the tranny re-done, I had an oil temp sender added.....In worker days, it just doesn't seem to get that warm....I'd have to go to my AiM software to give you specifics....I think a cooler would be a good idea for an enduro race car.

I have heard about the Tiptronic Cooler...that would seem to be an option worth considering...then again, Patrick Motorsports makes great stuff.

Good luck with the project....

BTW, I added a Ruf cooler and it works very well on hot California track days...engine oil never has exceeded 215 on the track...30 minute sessions. Love my Ruf...and I still have air conditioning.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Paddy and Martin

I like the 90 minute enduro's and do them whenever I can. I also share the car with my wife so there are times when the car is on the track for ver 2 hours in a 3 hour period. the oil temp guage has never gotten too high but it is has gotten higher than I would like so that is why I added the second cooler. So, this has also led me to a trans cooler. I had the trans out and inspected over the winter and everything looked great and measured out, but I do not want to tempt fate. The only thing that concerns me about putting it under the car is a rock or something bouncing up and ripping a hole in it. I am considering running the lines into the rear seat area and mounting the cooler on the side or bulkhead with a fan. I figure there is enough air coming in the car at 100 mph to disipate the heat.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're doing enduros and sharing the car then it's probably wise to install a cooler. Here's a pic of the deck mounted cooler and a pic of Geoffrey Ring's cooler. I would think where Geoffrey has his installed would make the most sense.
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

I just talked with my mechanic this morning and we are going to fnd a place this weekend when I am at the shop. I will have a fan installed as well to ensure air flow especially on hot days. Luckily this is all low pressure so the hose will not cost $38 a foot like the oil hose
Old 03-16-2015, 12:00 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A tiptronic cooler is a good option as it mounts right into the factory position without too much fiddling. I have bought one, will be installing it this spring. I have found now with the extra HP the gearbox temps are starting to rise.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
I just talked with my mechanic this morning and we are going to fnd a place this weekend when I am at the shop. I will have a fan installed as well to ensure air flow especially on hot days. Luckily this is all low pressure so the hose will not cost $38 a foot like the oil hose
John,

Are you using an electric pump? I would be interested to know about the noise level. I had one in my 944S2 and the noise was annoying.

I have no idea how the Tip cooler works, so would be interested in knowing if there is a gear driven pump ala, 944 turbo trans cooler.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:14 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the type of pump you should be using.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-...-/160957063091

These pumps use brass gears, some are a helical design to keep noise down. The tilton/mocal pumps use a diaphragm and are known to have issues at higher temperatures. Have the pump turn on and off with a thermo switch so it is not running all the time.

For mine it will be controlled by my ECU as well as having an override switch on my dash.

Quick Reply: Oil and Transmission Cooler