Sponsored by:

engine rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 AM
george996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine rebuild help

looking for some advice on whether to apply loctite 574 to items 17 and 27 on the attached. When dismantling it appears that no sealant was used but the manual says to loctite 574 on both sides. any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 03-12-2015, 05:01 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes, sparingly on item 17. Put Loctite on your finger and thumb then gently rub the paper gasket until it is all wet, no more. The Loctite helps to stick the gasket in place whilst you fit the car thrust washer, too much and it will slide out of place.

No, use white grease on item 27. This has a rubber o-ring built into the edge of the aluminium gasket, the grease allows the rubber to form optimally.

You should also lightly grease items 4, 16 and 35 on assembly.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:47 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Colin has it

You can also see here on Pelican, lots of opinions and info. I followed this when building my engine.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...nt-thread.html
Old 03-13-2015, 12:35 PM
george996
Racer

thanks guys
Old 03-16-2015, 04:21 PM
george996
Racer

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Yes, sparingly on item 17. Put Loctite on your finger and thumb then gently rub the paper gasket until it is all wet, no more. The Loctite helps to stick the gasket in place whilst you fit the car thrust washer, too much and it will slide out of place.

No, use white grease on item 27. This has a rubber o-ring built into the edge of the aluminium gasket, the grease allows the rubber to form optimally.

You should also lightly grease items 4, 16 and 35 on assembly.
Colin,

thanks for replying to my last request.

please see the attached photos of the piston spray nozzles and you will note that one is set back and not flush. In my case 4 out of 6 are set back. Can I leave them as is? What would you do?

thannks
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Did you pull the nozzles or that is the way it was when you tore down the engine?

You can blow out the nozzles with compressed air to check them - but i have never had to remove or reseat them. My gut tells me the sunken one is actually the worse one given the spray will be clipped by the hole that its sunk into.

if that is the way they came in the engine case, and there is no signs of issues or excessive wear on the components that are associated with the sunken sprayers, I would just leave them.

How many miles on the engine, and why is it being torn apart?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-16-2015, 07:46 PM
george996
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike J
Did you pull the nozzles or that is the way it was when you tore down the engine?

You can blow out the nozzles with compressed air to check them - but i have never had to remove or reseat them. My gut tells me the sunken one is actually the worse one given the spray will be clipped by the hole that its sunk into.

if that is the way they came in the engine case, and there is no signs of issues or excessive wear on the components that are associated with the sunken sprayers, I would just leave them.

How many miles on the engine, and why is it being torn apart?

Cheers,

Mike
This project began trying to fix oil leaks. The case through bolts were leaking on the left side. I removed all the cylinders and found 4 of the 6 spray nozzles are sunken. The engine has 80,000 miles and probably never touched.

If I can confirm that the nozzles are secure and not sliding around I am inclined to leave them alone.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:51 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

The oil spray nozzle issue is very common. The problem is simply caused by the nozzles being a clearance fit in the hole, so without the oil pressure behind them the nozzles drop. If you rig up an airline to test the nozzles you will find that the ones which have dropped will simply pop back up to the correct position under the tri-lobe swages at the top of the hole. You could Loctite them back into place, but the risk there is that the Loctite seeps into the nozzle and stops it working, hence my advice is to do no more than check that they are clear, working, and pop back up under pressure.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 PM
george996
Racer

Originally Posted by NineMeister
The oil spray nozzle issue is very common. The problem is simply caused by the nozzles being a clearance fit in the hole, so without the oil pressure behind them the nozzles drop. If you rig up an airline to test the nozzles you will find that the ones which have dropped will simply pop back up to the correct position under the tri-lobe swages at the top of the hole. You could Loctite them back into place, but the risk there is that the Loctite seeps into the nozzle and stops it working, hence my advice is to do no more than check that they are clear, working, and pop back up under pressure.
thanks. I will see if they pop back up. perhaps i won't need to do anything.

Quick Reply: engine rebuild help