Help... my seat does not retract

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 07:36 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... my seat does not retract

Hi guys,

Kim and I are trying to take my driver's seat out (we're replacing it with Recaro PP seat) and after we moved the seat to the front (it's power seat), the seat will not retract back.

We have no idea why (we thought that the motor was out but we are not sure).

We are wondering if anybody have ever experienced this before? And how you fixed this problem?

Thanks guys...
Old 08-31-2003, 07:46 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Slam it backwards sitting in the seat while engaging the backward electric drive. Be careful when EVER hitting the front or back stops for the seat travel. The archives are full of info on getting them unstuck.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:11 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

we tried to slam it backward. however, one of the driveshaft (threaded rod) under the seat isn't turning at all.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:47 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound dumb, but are you sure all the fuses and the connector on the seat bottom are ok?
Old 08-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

From Kim:

Jeff - The flexible shaft was spinning, but wasn't turning the solid shift on the outer seat rail. The inner seat rail shaft turns just fine.

The flexible drive shaft is stripped on one end, it will not turn the solid shaft on the outer seat rail. Not sure why the shaft won't turn, but it is clear that the flexble shaft must be replaced.

Now, the next question, the seat is stuck in the extreme forward position and the flexible shaft is useless. How do we move the seat back to access the front seat bolts now??? OR Can the seat be disassembled while it is still installed in the car???

If anyone has an hints on how to remove the seat, with it being stuck in the forward position (front bolts are now inaccessible) please let us know. Until then Pin will be driving around with the seats all the way forward...
Old 08-31-2003, 08:57 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

can you swap the shafts from the passenger side......too the drivers side?
Old 08-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

From Kim (using Pin's login): No, the passenger side is has manual sliders!

I feel bad as I was trying to install Pin's Pole Position seat and all I was able to do was remove the rear seat bolts and get his seat stuck in the forward position...
Old 08-31-2003, 09:21 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Kim, I know that you have a dremel somewhere... ( just kidding.. )
Old 08-31-2003, 09:35 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't remember what the drive end of the seat rail looks like (square?), but could you perhaps use some type of socket/screwdriver bit/allen key on a socket wrench to manually turn the seat rail?

-Chris
Old 08-31-2003, 09:52 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Pin,

Sorry to hear about your seat issue. Good thing I'm not there as planned so it's not my usual bad luck rubbing off on you for this one.

Hope the probelm goes away soon.

CP
Old 08-31-2003, 10:06 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

When the seat gets stuck like that, and only one side is moving you have more than likely stripped the cable. It is a 2 minute fix. I have extra cables if you need one. Send me a PM as I am home if need it... Pin / Kim, I also sent you a PM with my phone number...

Last edited by viperbob; 08-31-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:24 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

From Kim:

Bob - The flexible shaft is indeed stripped, however, I believe the reason it stripped is because the main shaft is stuck. I think we need to "unstuck" it before attempting a new shaft or it willl likely strip it too.

At this point we are only interested in getting the seat out. If we can't get the shaft to turn, I was thinking of cutting it out so the seat moves freely and we can remove the seat. Do you think I'm right in thinking that the seat will slide freely once the shaft is removed?

Jeff - I brought my Dremel with me...the thought crossed my mind but I didn't want to leave Pin stranded here in case it failed to do the job.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:36 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Guys,

The seat is not going back (that pinion thing) if you cut the cable. Please give me a call to discuss..
Old 09-01-2003, 03:47 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Hi Bob, Chris, Phil, Jeff and CP:

Thank you for the replies guys... I really appreciate it

Bob, I got your PM and I want to thank you for your very generous offer. I will give you a call tomorrow morning.

I will be going to Kim's place tomorrow morning and we'll try to fix this (i.e. take the seat out).

Hmmm tonight we (Kim, John/Mooty and I) agreed that the less electronics in the car, the better hehehe

I feel bad as I was trying to install Pin's Pole Position seat and all I was able to do was remove the rear seat bolts and get his seat stuck in the forward position...
Kim, please don't
I am very thankful that you came all the way here to help John and I... and I think this is just part of the fun in doing DIY stuff... We'll have more fun tomorrow hehehe...

I have short legs so I can still drive the car even the seat is in the most forward position...

Good night guys

Quick Reply: Help... my seat does not retract