Sponsored by:

ECU reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:41 PM
911LeeN
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Default ECU reprogramming

Random Q -- On an OBII 97-98 993, is there a way to visually determine if an ECU has been reflashed, reprogrammed or modified in some way? Like on the circuit board or something...e.g., solder in a particular place, etc. If not visual, my presumption is that some sort of specialized computer should be used, yes?

Thanks much.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:06 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can check the ECU box for company stickers, or take the top off and see if there is a sticker/label on the MCU chip inside. Not sure things, but worth a check.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LeeN
Random Q -- On an OBII 97-98 993, is there a way to visually determine if an ECU has been reflashed, reprogrammed or modified in some way? Like on the circuit board or something...e.g., solder in a particular place, etc. If not visual, my presumption is that some sort of specialized computer should be used, yes?

Thanks much.
If the ECU cover shows signs that its been removed, its a decent bet that its been re-programmed.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The shear bolts that hold down the metal shield over the ECU and that hold down the ECU itself are a one-time deal, they have to be drilled out or notched with a dremel to remove them and they can't be reused. Usually these shear bolts are replaced with new metric bolts so if you see those, the ECU has almost surely been out of the car and likely replaced or reprogrammed.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
The shear bolts that hold down the metal shield over the ECU and that hold down the ECU itself are a one-time deal, they have to be drilled out or notched with a dremel to remove them and they can't be reused. Usually these shear bolts are replaced with new metric bolts so if you see those, the ECU has almost surely been out of the car and likely replaced or reprogrammed.
While chasing down a some gremlins, I removed my ECU and shear bolts; but I do not have a reflashed chip. EDIT or a replaced ECU

Of course I installed allen head metrics upon reinstallation, but the lack of shear bolts is not much of an indicator that the ECU has been replaced or reprogrammed; only that its been removed at one time.
I could have used new shear bolts upon reinstallation.

Last edited by nine9six; 01-24-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:36 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by nine9six
While chasing down a some gremlins, I removed my ECU and shear bolts; but I do not have a reflashed chip.

Of course I installed allen head metrics upon reinstallation, but the lack of shear bolts is not much of an indicator that the ECU has been replaced or reprogrammed; only that its been removed at one time. I could have used new shear bolts upon reinstallation.
This is not uncommon at all, hence my comments about inspecting the tabs holding the cover of the ECU in place. That's the best indication that it may have been done.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:20 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

While chasing down a some gremlins, I removed my ECU and shear bolts; but I do not have a reflashed chip.

Of course I installed allen head metrics upon reinstallation, but the lack of shear bolts is not much of an indicator that the ECU has been replaced or reprogrammed; only that its been removed at one time. I could have used new shear bolts upon reinstallation.
Or, replaced shear bolts, metric bolts, or allen bolts COULD be an indicator that the ECU has been removed. Or even replaced. Maybe even reprogrammed. So there's that.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
This is not uncommon at all, hence my comments about inspecting the tabs holding the cover of the ECU in place. That's the best indication that it may have been done.
Agreed!

While VA993Dreamer was parroting your earlier statement, he missed the most important aspect (the tabs) and wound up with a statement that seemed unlikely...

the ECU has almost surely been out of the car and likely replaced or reprogrammed.
I was simply trying to point out that the lack of shear bolts, while a probable that the ECU has been removed, it is not any kind of indicator that it was likely replaced or reprogrammed.

...and thats about it.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:44 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is ecu reprogramming going to give me? How much $$?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:05 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Agreed!

While VA993Dreamer was parroting your earlier statement, he missed the most important aspect (the tabs) and wound up with a statement that seemed unlikely...

I was simply trying to point out that the lack of shear bolts, while a probable that the ECU has been removed, it is not any kind of indicator that it was likely replaced or reprogrammed.

...and thats about it.
While nine9six seems to have some challenges comprehending simple concepts, let's review some key points for the benefit of the OP and perhaps nine9six can follow along slowly and get it:

Signs that the ECU has been 1)removed, 2)replaced 3)re-programmed...or all of the above:

-ECU cover tabs look like they've been messed with (surely the best indicator, but not the ONLY indicator based on Steve's comment. Note that I, nor nine9six, mentioned this until Steve did and that's why he's the expert and not me, and certainly not nine9six)

-Shear bolts don't look original-perhaps they were replaced with new shear bolts, allen bolts, or metric bolts

And that's about it.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:52 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by TargaTuur69
What is ecu reprogramming going to give me? How much $$?
I would suggest a phone call as I think that would be most productive for you.

Costs vary with year.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
While nine9six seems to have some challenges comprehending simple concepts, let's review some key points for the benefit of the OP and perhaps nine9six can follow along slowly and get it:

Signs that the ECU has been 1)removed, 2)replaced 3)re-programmed...or all of the above:

-ECU cover tabs look like they've been messed with (surely the best indicator, but not the ONLY indicator based on Steve's comment. Note that I, nor nine9six, mentioned this until Steve did and that's why he's the expert and not me, and certainly not nine9six)

-Shear bolts don't look original-perhaps they were replaced with new shear bolts, allen bolts, or metric bolts

And that's about it.
Thanks for the chuckle, dreamer

I did not intend to step on your toes over your inability to communicate clearly; only to clarify that the statement was at a minimum partially inaccurate. My apologies.

I understand that you have a Rennsport reflashed ECU, and that now upon removal and reinstallation, you are at least a master at identifying reflashed, replaced, touched, futzed with, breathed or otherwise gazed upon ECU's.

Unfortunately. these incredible technical skills you have amassed, has little to do with one's ability to clearly articulate said knowledge in text.

Please pardon my attempts to clarify. Mea culpa, I to your knowledge, skills and abilities. You da man! Baaaahaahaaa
Old 01-24-2015, 07:40 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Boys boys,...time for a group hug.

We all share the passion for these incredible machines and I hope we can all meet each other in September at the Rennsport Reunion for a beer.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Boys boys,...time for a group hug. We all share the passion for these incredible machines and I hope we can all meet each other in September at the Rennsport Reunion for a beer.
I think most of us know that 996 likes to have the last word in most threads but we need that sometimes, especially when el QC stays quiet!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 AM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest a phone call as I think that would be most productive for you. Costs vary with year.
1997 targa

Quick Reply: ECU reprogramming