ECU reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:19 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTuur69
1997 targa
$1K,.....Call me anytime next week (I'm PST).
Old 01-25-2015, 09:46 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Thanks for the chuckle, dreamer

I did not intend to step on your toes over your inability to communicate clearly; only to clarify that the statement was at a minimum partially inaccurate. My apologies.

I understand that you have a Rennsport reflashed ECU, and that now upon removal and reinstallation, you are at least a master at identifying reflashed, replaced, touched, futzed with, breathed or otherwise gazed upon ECU's.

Unfortunately. these incredible technical skills you have amassed, has little to do with one's ability to clearly articulate said knowledge in text.

Please pardon my attempts to clarify. Mea culpa, I to your knowledge, skills and abilities. You da man! Baaaahaahaaa
Haha!

Pardon me, I didn't intend to harm your fragile ego and inferiority complex. I should be more mindful that many folks like yourself with such issues attempt to overcome them by overcompensating with an inflated sense of self and feeble attempts to be the smartest person in the room.
I'll try to keep that in mind the next time those feelings of inadequacy kick in for you and you feel the need to lash out here on RL with more comments that backfire on ya. You're doing plenty to make yourself look silly, I should know better than to pile on!
Have a great day!
Old 01-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTuur69
What is ecu reprogramming going to give me? How much $$?
That's the key question, i.e. "What is ecu reprogramming going to give me?",
since no before and after data have yet been presented.

Check here for some insightful info about what is actually done in a reflash:
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-the-myth.html

For a typical cost of $1000 and potential future problems, for many it's hardly worth it.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflying
Agree 100%., $1000......laughable!
I've had mine for 40k miles and couldn't imagine my car without it. For drivability alone this was the best money yet I've spent on my 993 and despite what the naysayers lament about I couldn't be happier. Especially when I'm running 100 Octane. Night and day.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 101 Posts

I agree, best bang for the buck on my 993. While the subjective feel of increased power is debatable and could be a placebo effect, in my mind the higher quality of the power delivery is without question. My car noticeably stronger and smoother at low rpms.

Aside from Steve being a very helpful guy.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
I've had mine for 40k miles and couldn't imagine my car without it. For drivability alone this was the best money yet I've spent on my 993 and despite what the naysayers lament about I couldn't be happier. Especially when I'm running 100 Octane. Night and day.
What kind of improvement is having to find 100 octane gas and then having
less so-called "performance" without it, i.e. more knock control from the
reflashed ECM results in an overall less "performance" when not using the highest
octane?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:01 PM
911Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely agree.

I purchased a 1997 ECU with a chip by Steve Weiner from a fellow rennlister. I bought the ECU/chip mainly to get rid of the Immobilizer function. I emailed Steve for the details and Steve was very helpful in explaining the chip and how to use it.

What I discovered:

1. The Immobilizer function was gone as expected. I kept the DME relay, but I have a DME-jumper-relay in the toolbox if I have a fob problem. I tested a start and drive away without using the fob (and installing the DME-jumper-relay) and it worked. I am confident I will never be stranded away from home by a failed or rain-soaked fob.

2. Better mid-range torque. I find the clutch to be much easier to engage in first gear. I have driven manuals all my life, including older 911s, and Steve Weiner's chip made the 993 clutch "feel" like the typical older 911 and BMW clutch-engine interaction.

3. The emissions monitors are easier to set after a battery disconnect. (I didn't expect this benefit). It used to take 5 or 6 trips following the ODB Monitor Set procedure - a real pain. Now I just follow Steve's first-initialization procedure (cold start without touching the throttle and let idle for 10 minutes then shut off), followed by a 15 mile trip around my house. I do this twice, from a cold start each time, and all of the monitors are set. I have done this several time - it always works!

In my opinion it is the best mod I have made to my 993.
-Richard
Old 01-26-2015, 01:32 PM
911Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone asked me about the gas I am using:

I use 93 octane gas with the 10% ethanol. I used the same gas from the same gas station with both the original ECU and with the Steve Weiner chip, so I think this is an apples-to-apples comparison.

I agree with Flat-6 Performance and Carlos993: If I got another 993, this would be the first mod I would make (and I was an electrical engineer at Bosch in the 1990s).
Old 01-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by 911Fahrer
The emissions monitors are easier to set after a battery disconnect. (I didn't expect this benefit). It used to take 5 or 6 trips following the ODB Monitor Set procedure - a real pain. Now I just follow Steve's first-initialization procedure (cold start without touching the throttle and let idle for 10 minutes then shut off), followed by a 15 mile trip around my house. I do this twice, from a cold start each time, and all of the monitors are set. I have done this several time - it always works!
That's because the complete emissions monitor system is bypassed to always
indicate that the monitors (readiness codes) are complete (set). You'll get
the same result just leaving the car parked and walking around your house!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"Someone asked me about the gas I am using:

I use 93 octane gas with the 10% ethanol. I used the same gas from the same gas station with both the original ECU and with the Steve Weiner chip, so I think this is an apples-to-apples comparison."

Whether it's 93 or 100 octane, it's the same issue described before.

"I was an electrical engineer at Bosch in the 1990s"

So you state "both the original ECU and with the Steve Weiner chip" which indicates a '95 993 ECM, i.e. replaceable chip.
But you also state "The emissions monitors are easier to set" which indicates a later ECM requiring a reflash for the
later 993s.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

My car drives better, is louder and sounds better, pulls harder at mid-top and is generally more responsive across the full rev range when I run a mix of 91/100. Importantly though it felt and sounded nothing like that at all pre ecu re flash with same. Like ANY computer, just a more modern software framework (even with the same acritecture) is likely to yield benefits if correctly and efficiently executed. And for what it's worth I've been active on this form for >10yrs and have yet to see a single thread about a 993 with a mechanical issue or failure with the Rennsport ECU as root cause. Call it what you will but even my girlfriend can hear and feel the difference.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:39 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Call it what you will but even my girlfriend can hear and feel the difference.
Mine too, but sans the chip...
Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"Like ANY computer, just a more modern software framework (even with the same acritecture) is likely to yield benefits if correctly and efficiently executed."

Please, wrong analog! More like just changing the screen refresh rate or changing the
CPU's interrupt priorities between different OSs.

Just like what one might expect based on some posts of the thread, that few really understand
what the reflash actually does. But that's typical when some 'buy into' the "performance"
hyperbole.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

All this hyperbole can you not give even so much as a single concrete example of what you're talking about? Show us all please or does your 4800 baud dial up modem not support fact based statements?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
All this hyperbole can you not give even so much as a single concrete example of what you're talking about? Show us all please or does your 4800 baud dial up modem not support fact based statements?
Again, read here it explains clearly;
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-the-myth.html

To further explain what's done and how very simple the so-called "performance tune" is,
a very good analogy is like basically just changing cell values in an Excel spreadsheet.
As an example, at 4K RPM the cell value may have been 28 degrees at a certain engine
load, and now gets changed to 30 degrees. These values are changed over various
operating conditions. It's as simple as that. There's no new OS as the ECM has no typical
OS but just a control program like one would find in your PC printer or scanner.

Quick Reply: ECU reprogramming