Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015 | 04:46 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Default Fabspeed Ceramic Coating

Has anyone had ceramic coating applied to their Fabspeed sport cat X-pipes? If so, who did you use and were you satisfied?
Old 01-16-2015 | 04:49 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default I PM'd you on the topic...

I really don't feel ceramic coating on a part that is in the air stream of the car needs ceramic coating. The mufflers, maybe, as they are tucked under, but the X pipe is in the wind.
Old 01-16-2015 | 05:56 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

i thinks if its more for looks performance coatings has a coating alot of people apply to the supercups to keep them shiney

photo credit to Joe S.
Old 01-19-2015 | 12:55 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Agree for the muffler ...

freshly done (VHT flame proof):

installed:

after one year:

Old 01-19-2015 | 01:01 PM
nine9six
Banned

As far as I am concerned, ceramic coatings on hidden exhaust systems is a HUGE waste of $$$! Especially when applied to SS systems, which already possess anti corrosive properties. Ceramic over mild steel has a purpose/function.
Old 01-20-2015 | 12:14 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

So what?

Half of my money I spent for girls and booze, the rest for my Porsches ...

At least I didn't waste it ...

Old 01-20-2015 | 03:32 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nine9six
As far as I am concerned, ceramic coatings on hidden exhaust systems is a HUGE waste of $$$! Especially when applied to SS systems, which already possess anti corrosive properties. Ceramic over mild steel has a purpose/function.
Its not for corrosion control, it is for heat control. The coating can act as a thermal barrier and keep the exhaust heat inside the system, especially on the turbos where the exhaust system can get hot enough to glow red when pushed ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_barrier_coating

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-20-2015 | 03:58 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike J
Its not for corrosion control, it is for heat control. The coating can act as a thermal barrier and keep the exhaust heat inside the system, especially on the turbos where the exhaust system can get hot enough to glow red when pushed ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_barrier_coating

Cheers,

Mike
Mike,
I have yet to see any side by side comparison data showing significant heat barrier properties. As soon as I mention these words, then the sellers/promoters say its more of a protective coating... Maybe they should pick one and stick by it!

I am well aware of the marketing propaganda...Data talks, marketing hoopla walks. I'm sorry...my background has always revolved around engineering test data, and conclusive results in lieu of sales and marketing strategies.

Are you suggesting turbos dont glow red when ceramic coated? Does it make sense that engineering would not take into account the heat generated by a turbo when selecting a material capable of withstanding the environmental stresses?

P.S. girls and booze is money well spent

Last edited by nine9six; 01-20-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2015 | 04:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree about numbers, but when I first heard about these coatings, I was skeptical and did some googling around and there is data out there about how well these coatings help reduce heat conduction, etc. I think you would need to look at the specifications for the exact coatings you are investigating, and do the math and possibly measurements to see how well the coating works, if at all. I have not done that, nor run any coated exhaust components (yet).

As for coating say 993 mufflers for corrosion control, not much point given they are a stainless that seem to only be susceptible to heat staining. The pitch is definitely around heat control.

BTW, I am a P.Eng. (equivalent to a P.E. in the US) so I get the data analysis prove-it-to-me point of view!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-20-2015 | 05:30 PM
nine9six
Banned

Much more on ceramic coatings...

http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/programs/sa...tions/0081.pdf

Paint on coatings offer little; plasma flame sprayed (expensive) coatings provide protections desired.

For our applications, I give you a guess at which application method is widely employed, with the exception of deep pocketed race applications!

Nuff said.
Old 01-20-2015 | 06:50 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Are you suggesting turbos dont glow red when ceramic coated?
Nope, saw a video of a guy who put a gopro showing one of his turbos on a 993 on the track - and on open throttle the housing and the exhaust exit pipe glowed a nice red .... so I am just saying it's frigg'n HOT (technical term used..).

I am going to see if I can rig up one of those shots on my next track day. ... BTW, I never endorsed ceramics, I only commented if they do work - and if done right, I think you can get a heat reduction. The trick is, how many systems are done right?

Cheers

Mike
Old 01-20-2015 | 07:02 PM
DFC4S
Racer

Much more on ceramic coatings...

http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/programs/sa...tions/0081.pdf

Paint on coatings offer little; plasma flame sprayed (expensive) coatings provide protections desired.

For our applications, I give you a guess at which application method is widely employed, with the exception of deep pocketed race applications!

Nuff said.
So:
"Optional ceramic coating significantly reduces radiated heat" on FD Motorsports website under mufflers coatings is a marketing/sales gimic?
Old 01-20-2015 | 08:32 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

I like the look of the SS Fabspeed hardware and left it that way.

I did have my muffler brackets, cat bracket, and the heat shield on the right-side cam tensioner cover ceramic coated.
Old 01-20-2015 | 09:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The same can be said about non-stock wheels, gear levers, stereos, splitters, wings, and any number of things. Technically they are all a waste of money. But, they may scratch an itch.

The only TRUE waste of money is an RWB conversion.
Old 01-20-2015 | 09:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

RL duplicated

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Ceramic Coating