Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Lift on Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Atlas TDMR6 lift too. It has been a great lift for use with my Porsche. However I am having trouble with my other Unibody Cars.

The problem with the lift is the lengths of the lift arms. They are only 19.25 in long. So when fully extended outward the span to the outside of the lift pads is 59 inches. My Honda Accord and my Subaru Legacy have their lifting points 58 inches apart. They are also 60-61 inches apart between front and back. This requires that the arms be angled apart making the span less than 58 inches.

Therefore this lift is very limiting. There are a lot of Honda Accords out there.

I am in communication with Greg Smith to see if they have a solution but I am not getting any responses as of yet.

I have thought about using Bendpak arms which are longer. I am not sure what the diameter of the threaded retainment shaft is on the Bendpak arm or it's length. The Atlas uses a M20 Nut on the shaft. If they are compatible it may be an easy fix for a little more money.

Anybody with a Bendpak lift can verify I would be very appreciative.

In retrospect, I think the Atlas lift is a good lift but is very limiting. If you plan on working on other cars you may want to look elsewhere. If Greg Smith gets back to me I will update this with their resolution. Otherwise the Bendpak I believe would be a better lift.

Johnny
Old 02-05-2015, 09:43 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lifted an '08 Accord, '14 corvette, 1967 corvette, and a '12 Tacoma w no trouble. The newer vette had to be positioned perfect to reach. Struck out w a Mercedes S class but that was to be expected. Interesting idea about the bendpak arms....
Old 02-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
I lifted an '08 Accord, '14 corvette, 1967 corvette, and a '12 Tacoma w no trouble. The newer vette had to be positioned perfect to reach. Struck out w a Mercedes S class but that was to be expected. Interesting idea about the bendpak arms....
Thanks EMBPilot. My accord is a '04. I suspect the Accords aren't getting smaller. Were you able to position the lift pads under the lift ridges on the Honda. It would be interesting to measure the distance across the '08 Honda to get a measurement between left and right lift points.

If anybody has a Bendpak MD-6XP, measurements of the diameter and length of attachment shaft on the lift arm would be helpful in determining compatibility.

Johnny
Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Johnny it's been a season since I lifted the accord. I'm pretty sure it worked from both directions on the lift. I recall that on the rear end I stacked two hockey pucks under the accords "frame" members where it bumped up, to get it level. I wasn't on the factory lifting points themselves though, I used the subframe.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm traveling on business, if I can remember, I'll try and grab measurements this weekend.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm traveling on business, if I can remember, I'll try and grab measurements this weekend.
Thanks Ed,

The dimensions marked by letters A-F in a box in the attached picture would be the dimensions that would be helpful to me.

I appreciate your time an effort to my cause.

Thank you,
Johnny
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2015, 10:42 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

HM993

Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerman View Post
A scissor lift is on my wish list. I have been waiting for the right sale or opportunity like another group buy. I have read the past posts and remember a neutral to positive view of the HF lift. The HF lift is now on sale - save $300, plus I have a 20% off coupon. Is the HF lift worth $1200 compared to other options? I only have 46 inches ceiling height available so I expect a scissor lift is my only option. Any comments on long term support of scissor lifts? Are spare parts available? Is it better to buy a more reputable brand? I expect most of the frames for all brands are built in China but I do avoid HF electric tools unless they are for a one time use. And of course we do risk our lives and cars when we use a lift. Thanks for any guidance.
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't skimp on a lift used to support 3500 pounds above my head. In my experience, HF products are exceedingly inferior and some, downright dangerous.

Cheers
Joe

Are you the one that usually chimes in about the exploding air bag metal logo, the $100 helmet for the $100 head, the mini jump start battery that cannot work and now the this lift?

Thanks for keeping us all safe.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

if these longer arms could work safely i would consider buying a set, it would make getting the later corvette a hell of a lot easier. if its off an inch it wont fit.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
if these longer arms could work safely i would consider buying a set, it would make getting the later corvette a hell of a lot easier. if its off an inch it wont fit.
Once I determine the physical fitment of the new arms I will analyze the additional stress added to the lift due to the outward extension of the induced forces. I will analyze the increase of bending moments on the mechanism. (I suspect the attachment point of the inner frame to the lift cover is taking most of these stresses.) Based on that result I will degrade the lifts lift weight rating and verify if my Honda and Subaru weights come in below the new value therefore preserving the designed in factor of safety.

I am doing this analysis for my own piece of mind but obviously can not guarantee it to the rest of the community. This modification will be at the owners risk.

Johnny
Old 02-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

A= .780"
B= 3.56"
C= 4.88"
D= .38"
E= .69"
F= 3.56"

Taken on my Bendpak mid-rise.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
A= .780" B= 3.56" C= 4.88" D= .38" E= .69" F= 3.56" Taken on my Bendpak mid-rise.
Thank you Ed. It looks like it will physically fit. However The Bendpak pads will be necessary as well.

Now to run the numbers then find out how much for replacement parts if all works out.

Johnny
Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

EMBPilot and others,
A consideration for those who need to precisely place the car, place all 4 wheels on rolling wheel cradles. This would allow you to easily fine tune the placement of the car prior to lifting. I believe a pair is ~$80.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by techman1
EMBPilot and others, A consideration for those who need to precisely place the car, place all 4 wheels on rolling wheel cradles. This would allow you to easily fine tune the placement of the car prior to lifting. I believe a pair is ~$80.
Great idea, however the lift for me works well for my Porsche and three other cars I have. But not on my Honda Accord and Subaru Legacy. In fact, I don't think any jockeying would allow me to lift the cars using the factory authorized lift points. But my purpose is to bring the cars in for a quick lift to change oil, brake pads or rotate the tires. Jacking it up first to place on dollies defeats the convenience of the lift.

I have determined that the Bendpak lift arms and accompanying pads would fit the Atlas Lift. Taking account the longer arms there is a 24% increase in torsional loads so I have decreased the rating of the lift to 4500 lbs which would work fine in my situation.

My biggest gripe at this point is that Bendpak parts are priced like Porsche parts. The Lift Arm and Pad is over $100 each. This adds $400-450 to the price of my lift.

I am giving Atlas (Greg Smith) a chance to explain how I can use my lift to lift my two cars using factory authorized lift points before springing for other parts.

In retrospect, in my opinion and for my use, the Bendpak would have been a better lift for me. In the end it would most likely have been cheaper and with less headaches.

It's an ongoing process. I hope to have a resolution soon.

Johnny
Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

wow, good work johnny.
this is a bummer, i thought the bendpak and the Atlas more similar than Bendpak having longer more convenient arms. i would be ok with the reduced capacity and added room on the arms but the price is frustrating. i wish had caught that before buying that the arms were that much larger.

while i understand your reasons for not wanting to do it, i had no ill effects when lifting the accord from the subframe. the larger arms would be a huge help with the Corvette though as sometimes getting it precisely right takes longer than changing its oil.

well thought out investigative work here...

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Lift on Sale