Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Lift on Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 04:23 PM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harbor Freight Lift on Sale

A scissor lift is on my wish list. I have been waiting for the right sale or opportunity like another group buy. I have read the past posts and remember a neutral to positive view of the HF lift. The HF lift is now on sale - save $300, plus I have a 20% off coupon. Is the HF lift worth $1200 compared to other options? I only have 46 inches ceiling height available so I expect a scissor lift is my only option. Any comments on long term support of scissor lifts? Are spare parts available? Is it better to buy a more reputable brand? I expect most of the frames for all brands are built in China but I do avoid HF electric tools unless they are for a one time use. And of course we do risk our lives and cars when we use a lift. Thanks for any guidance.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:34 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have their lift and very pleased with it. I guess it's the same one they sell now. Post some details of the one they sale now and I'll compare it to mine. I've had mine around five years and the only issue I've had was the lever/cable to release the safety messed up and I received a replacement under warranty. I guess I've cycled mine ~ 100 times. It's hard to beat for the money and you should have a thirty day return window.
Randy
Old 12-31-2014, 04:54 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eichlerman
A scissor lift is on my wish list. I have been waiting for the right sale or opportunity like another group buy. I have read the past posts and remember a neutral to positive view of the HF lift. The HF lift is now on sale - save $300, plus I have a 20% off coupon. Is the HF lift worth $1200 compared to other options? I only have 46 inches ceiling height available so I expect a scissor lift is my only option. Any comments on long term support of scissor lifts? Are spare parts available? Is it better to buy a more reputable brand? I expect most of the frames for all brands are built in China but I do avoid HF electric tools unless they are for a one time use. And of course we do risk our lives and cars when we use a lift. Thanks for any guidance.
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't skimp on a lift used to support 3500 pounds above my head. In my experience, HF products are exceedingly inferior and some, downright dangerous.

Cheers
Joe
Old 12-31-2014, 04:57 PM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specs on HF lift

Specs from HF

Raise cars or trucks to 56" with this 6000 lb. capacity steel-plated auto lift! This high quality auto lift includes the lift, electro-hydraulic pump, hydraulic hose, dolly and four saddle pads so you can get started immediately. This automotive scissor lift is perfect for anyone performing their own auto repairs!
7" minimum, 56-1/4" maximum height
85-1/4" maximum length
57-1/2" maximum width
Motor: 220 volts, 2 HP, 3450 RPM, 10/14 amps (under load)
Ram stroke: 20-1/2"

Specifications
Name 6000 Lb. Capacity Scissor Lift
SKU 91315
Brand Central Hydraulics
Application 220 Volt
Capacity 6000 lbs.
Color Blue
Finish Enamel
Frame material Steel
Horsepower (hp) 2
Material Steel
Minimum lowered clearance (in.) 7 in.
Maximum height (in.) 56-1/4
Maximum Lift Height (in.) 56-1/4 in.
Minimum height (in.) 7
Product Height 7 in.
Product Length 99-3/4 in.
Product Weight 849 lbs.
Product Width 40 in.
Shipping Weight 897.00 lb.
Warranty 90 Day
Old 12-31-2014, 05:13 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't skimp on a lift used to support 3500 pounds above my head. In my experience, HF products are exceedingly inferior and some, downright dangerous.

Cheers
Joe
Agreed!
Old 12-31-2014, 05:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Cheers
Joe
+1. I've been looking at four post lifts and am very leery of the Chinese made ones and was surprised to learn that Bend Pak is Chinese made. I'm glad to hear that people have had good luck with the Harbor Freight lifts, but I would be concerned that something could fail catastrophically resulting in property damage and/or personal injury. This is the reason I would never, ever consider buying a Chinese made, carbon fiber bike frame.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:37 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

I've never felt at risk while using my lift. I don't believe that HF manufactures the lifts that they sale. My lift is very similar in design and specs to the one that bend pack sales, just cost about 30% less. It's all steel construction, not plastic. I guess if you could see one in person or use one and understand the mechanics of a sissor style lift there's not a lot of danger there.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:55 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Practically everything is Chinese made nowadays. I don't recall ever hearing or reading about a failed HF lift. I really like the MaxJax, comes up on sale at Costco periodically.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:06 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Cheers
Joe
Any stories to back this up? I am looking at their 56" rolling tool chest and have not heard one bad review of it on Garage Journal. Or I could pay thousands more for a name brand that will do the same thing.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:30 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Any stories to back this up? I am looking at their 56" rolling tool chest and have not heard one bad review of it on Garage Journal. Or I could pay thousands more for a name brand that will do the same thing.
I wouldn't be bothered by a tool chest, it is not life threatening. A lift is another story. I haven't heard of one of there lifts failing but have heard of their jacks going bad.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:39 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
This is the reason I would never, ever consider buying a Chinese made, carbon fiber bike frame.
Thread derail warning.

Mark - Do you ride one of the few Trek frames still produced in Wisconsin?
Old 12-31-2014, 06:39 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
I wouldn't be bothered by a tool chest, it is not life threatening. A lift is another story. I haven't heard of one of there lifts failing but have heard of their jacks going bad.
Same reasoning behind the chuckleheads who cheap out on helmets. $30 head? Fine with the $30 helmet. Darwin at his finest.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:51 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

unfortunately, I seriously doubt an American made mid rise scissor lift can be found. I have the Atlas from Greg Smith Eqpt, bought the summer of 2010 when I got the car. Used for basic maintenance on the Pcar, winter cleaning etc. Also have put most every vehicle we haved owned on it at one time or another.

Never felt uncomfortable working under/around it. If one of the lifting arms did indeed ever fail...the vehicle will fall on the massive 8" wide C channels. The Atlas was $1300 delivered, can't imagine living without it.

For DIY, non commercial uses...you can't go wrong IMHO.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Thread derail warning.

Mark - Do you ride one of the few Trek frames still produced in Wisconsin?
Used to. I had a 2005 carbon Trek Top Fuel 110.

I think I know where you're going with this. I should have written "off-brand" and was thinking of the off-brand or no-name carbon frames (and parts) that people buy for $500 or so to save a buck. The quality control of those frames/parts seems highly questionable and present risks I'm not willing to take.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:04 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

I looked on HF's website and the one shown there looks like the one I have. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I had to.
Randy

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Lift on Sale