Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Lift on Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:09 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 on the HF stuff - we have seen numerous floor jacks from them fail when we are off roading, i would not stick my head under any of their products.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:32 PM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

I purchased the Atlas unit from Greg Smith also, I tried to get a group buy together almost 2 years back. I recessed it into the floor as have some other guys here, the link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ssor-lift.html

Regarding the HF unit, as I stated in the above thread "The HF unit is actually a foot longer than the Atlas in length, both had twin hydraulic cylinders, nevertheless it's shipping weight was 150 lbs. less than the Atlas".

To be honest, if I were to do it again, I'd go this route:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=35433

It will run you more money and possibly a little more time but once finished it's completely incorporated into the floor, the only downside is that you couldn't take it with you if moving.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Back when I was looking, there was a DEFINITE difference in quality between the Bendpak and the Harbor Freight unit. Harbor Freight did not win my money. I think HF's were 900 then, and my BP was about $1250, so there was a premium, albeit a smaller amount.

It's no surprise that such units are built in China. But, the company selling them can spec a higher level of quality to the design.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:21 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
unfortunately, I seriously doubt an American made mid rise scissor lift can be found. I have the Atlas from Greg Smith Eqpt, bought the summer of 2010 when I got the car. Used for basic maintenance on the Pcar, winter cleaning etc. Also have put most every vehicle we haved owned on it at one time or another.

Never felt uncomfortable working under/around it. If one of the lifting arms did indeed ever fail...the vehicle will fall on the massive 8" wide C channels. The Atlas was $1300 delivered, can't imagine living without it.

For DIY, non commercial uses...you can't go wrong IMHO.
I believe it's mandatory, on an item such as a scissor lift, when sold in the US, that it must have a manual mechanical safety lock. To work under a lift without the safety latch employed, one would need to have their head examined!

Even in a catastrophic failure such as a hydraulic line rupture, I believe the orfices within the ram would prevent the lift from slamming to the
ground and would provide enough time to move from harms way.

I will be looking at an atlas lift in the near future...
Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 264 Posts
Default 1k...

Old 01-01-2015, 12:23 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by randytrish
I have their lift and very pleased with it. I guess it's the same one they sell now. Post some details of the one they sale now and I'll compare it to mine. I've had mine around five years and the only issue I've had was the lever/cable to release the safety messed up and I received a replacement under warranty. I guess I've cycled mine ~ 100 times. It's hard to beat for the money and you should have a thirty day return window.
Randy
Is this the lift? 6000 Lb. Capacity Scissor Lift $1,499

http://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb...ift-91315.html

Old 01-01-2015, 01:14 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Bend Pak four post lift in my garage. Have had it for about 6 years, and it is well built. Other than some leaking pneumatic cylinders for the mechanical locks when first installed, the lift has been trouble free. Well built and has good safety features.

On the other hand, I purchased (3) of the HF aluminum racing jacks, and everyone has failed in less than two years.

So, I believe that there are different levels of quality control on Chineese built lifts. And, for me, I would never trust my body to work under a vehicle held up by any of their jacks or lifts. Life is too short!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:43 AM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. the lift pictured above is the one I have.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:17 AM
rlsammax
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at Kwiklift……….it is excellent, solid, safe and not that expensive. My friend uses his all the time for a 67 Corvette. Unless your lift goes all the way up (so you can stand straight up and not have to bend over) this is probably the better way to go. He takes his down in the spring and stores it along his garage wall. Puts it back up in late fall. Works on his car all winter long.

Ralph
Old 01-01-2015, 12:42 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by randytrish
I don't believe that HF manufactures the lifts that they sale. My lift is very similar in design and specs to the one that bend pack sales, just cost about 30% less. .
Actually, I believe if you look at the shipping weight, the bendpak unit is a few hundred pounds heavier.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:08 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by eichlerman
A scissor lift is on my wish list. I have been waiting for the right sale or opportunity like another group buy. I have read the past posts and remember a neutral to positive view of the HF lift. The HF lift is now on sale - save $300, plus I have a 20% off coupon. Is the HF lift worth $1200 compared to other options? I only have 46 inches ceiling height available so I expect a scissor lift is my only option. Any comments on long term support of scissor lifts? Are spare parts available? Is it better to buy a more reputable brand? I expect most of the frames for all brands are built in China but I do avoid HF electric tools unless they are for a one time use. And of course we do risk our lives and cars when we use a lift. Thanks for any guidance.
Tim,
Are you sure Harbor Freight will honor a 20% off coupon on a sale item?

Take a look at Kwiklift……….it is excellent, solid, safe and not that expensive. My friend uses his all the time for a 67 Corvette. Unless your lift goes all the way up (so you can stand straight up and not have to bend over) this is probably the better way to go. He takes his down in the spring and stores it along his garage wall. Puts it back up in late fall. Works on his car all winter long.
This is a great option, but they lost my vote when...We are currently offering 2 different packages.

1. Basic Kwik-lift Package $1099
Kwik-lift in raw uncoated steel

Full Kwik-lift Package $1399
Kwik-lift fully powdercoated

I wonder if they deburr the sharp edges on the basic model? Looks as if they took a page right out of the Microsoft business plan by offering an unfinished product at a reduced rate. Finished product are at a 30% INCREASE!

Last edited by nine9six; 01-01-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes, HF will honour 20 or 25% coupon on sale items. I remember a RL member picked one up last year for 900$.

Originally Posted by nine9six
Tim,
Are you sure Harbor Freight will honor a 20% off coupon on a sale item?

This is a great option, but they lost my vote when...We are currently offering 2 different packages.

1. Basic Kwik-lift Package $1099
Kwik-lift in raw uncoated steel

Full Kwik-lift Package $1399
Kwik-lift fully powdercoated

I wonder if they deburr the sharp edges on the basic model? Looks as if they took a page right out of the Microsoft business plan by offering an unfinished product at a reduced rate. Finished product are at a 30% INCREASE!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:18 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

HF REFUSED MY 20% OFF COUPON

CASHIER STATED THE JACK WAS "SPECIFICALLY" EXCLUDED FROM THAT SALE

I WOULD ASK FIRST
Old 01-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Practically everything is Chinese made nowadays. I don't recall ever hearing or reading about a failed HF lift. I really like the MaxJax, comes up on sale at Costco periodically.
Ditto, have had my MaxJax for a few year, on sale / free shipping form Costco at the time. Winter is a good time to watch for sales. 6000 lbs limit.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

My biggest gripe on the HF was the minimal number of stops.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Lift on Sale