Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Lift on Sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:32 PM
rlsammax
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check Craigs list in your area. A friend of mine picked up a painted one for $600.

Still think it is the best-safest lift. Easy to drive onto. Easy to lift and safe…safe…sage

Ralph
Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Atlas lift. Had it about a year. The Harbor Freight lift looks like a knock off ditto copy. But when I was looking the shipping weight was less and the locking safety bar was different.

Pay a lot of attention to the locking bar and how it works. This is what keeps you safe. I haven't done the analysis, but in my estimation the fail mode on these scissor lifts will be mostly in the locking mechanism and not from broken welds or tipping.

As mentioned earlier the HF unit had less locking positions. It's nice to be able to dial in your height when sitting on a chair working the brakes etc.

I am happy with my lift.

Johnny
Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rlsammax
Take a look at Kwiklift……….it is excellent, solid, safe and not that expensive. My friend uses his all the time for a 67 Corvette. Unless your lift goes all the way up (so you can stand straight up and not have to bend over) this is probably the better way to go. He takes his down in the spring and stores it along his garage wall. Puts it back up in late fall. Works on his car all winter long.

Ralph
That lift is useless for most things, other than oil changes on a front engine car. Where do I start? Car sits on wheels, no height, full length rails in the way, etc. Oh, you're not dropping an engine, for sure. I've seen one in action that a friend had.

You don't have to go all the way to the ceiling with a mid-rise. I have a roll around mechanics chair, that allows my torso to be upright under the car. I can kneel on the ground, if I want, and often use my creeper-so there is variety. Certainly not the same as a 2 post, but pretty effective.

The Quickjack posted above would have some similar limitations, IMO.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That lift is useless for most things, other than oil changes on a front engine car. Where do I start? Car sits on wheels, no height, full length rails in the way, etc. Oh, you're not dropping an engine, for sure. I've seen one in action that a friend had. You don't have to go all the way to the ceiling with a mid-rise. I have a roll around mechanics chair, that allows my torso to be upright under the car. I can kneel on the ground, if I want, and often use my creeper-so there is variety. Certainly not the same as a 2 post, but pretty effective. The Quickjack posted above would have some similar limitations, IMO.
No disrespect, but I don't agree. I have full access to the engine and Transmission on my lift. Yeah getting to the center tube shifter, etc although doable is difficult.

You can indent the lift into the floor or build ramps, which is what I did. Keeps mine portable as I have a long shop and move my lift fore and aft so I can work on other cars without starting up the Porsche.

In the summer it can be moved out on the drive for good cleaning.

There are advantages both ways. You need to way them.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
No disrespect, but I don't agree. I have full access to the engine and Transmission on my lift. Yeah getting to the center tube shifter, etc although doable is difficult.

You can indent the lift into the floor or build ramps, which is what I did. Keeps mine portable as I have a long shop and move my lift fore and aft so I can work on other cars without starting up the Porsche.

In the summer it can be moved out on the drive for good cleaning.

There are advantages both ways. You need to way them.
Don't agree with what? I have no idea why you replied to my post. If you'll look, I was replying to the guy who posted on the "Qwiklift", in fact I did it as a reply to his post.

I've had a BP lift for about 10 years now, in 3 houses. I'm well aware of what a mid-rise lift can and can't do, and how many ways it can be installed.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Ed, I apologize to you. I read your post incorrectly. It really is my bad.

I need to be more careful and not jump to conclusions.

Johnny
Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

No worries, we are on the same page!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:27 AM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the feedback. As expected I got the info I needed and some interesting alternates. I decided on the Atlas TD6MR Scissor Lift. It's the same price as the HF lift, $1500, and has been given some pretty good Rennlist reviews. There may be some price adjustments for taxes, shipping and coupons but the price will be fairly close. The equivalent Bendpak is $2K.

One difference I found between the Bendpak lift and the Altlas are the stop positions. It's interesting to me that these stop positions are the car working positions but they are not defined in the availiable literature. I had to contact Bendpak to get the specific data. What I found is the Bendpack has three and the Atlas seven. I'm thinking the seven will give me some flexibility I might need in the future. Also since I do have some height concerns I could fill the last stop on the Atlas stop bar if required, to prevent from the car getting locked in the top position.

Since I don't need the lift today I will be exploring buying options including maybe waiting for another group buy.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts

I've had that Atlas lift since 2010, its got more than 7 latching heights. Never counted the indents before, but I will this afternoon. Gotta mount a second tire rack on the wall. Actual count, and pic to follow.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

My BP certainly has more than 3, at least 5 locking heights.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:25 PM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Data provided by Bendpak indicates 3 stops on the current lift.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

My Atlas TD6MR, circa 2010...has 8 mechanical latching heights, roughly at 4" increments. My lift is recessed 5" in the slab, my lowest locking height(measured to hub center) is 20", highest is 48 1/2". Couldn't get a good picture of the locking bar, so here's a pic of the hanging art next to the car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 PM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
I've had that Atlas lift since 2010, its got more than 7 latching heights. Never counted the indents before, but I will this afternoon. Gotta mount a second tire rack on the wall. Actual count, and pic to follow.
Magdaddy is correct, on mine at least there are 8 notches / stops on the Atlas TDR6000 Lift. I just lifted mine and counted.

P.S. Magdaddy / Joe, Thanks again for your patience and advice when I was recessing mine........Mark.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:41 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Joe- those Tramont wheels are filthy. I'll take em if you're going to use them as wall art
Old 01-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Joe- those Tramont wheels are filthy. I'll take em if you're going to use them as wall art
But...we're all adults here, isn't dirty wall art the best?

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Lift on Sale