Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug behind power steering unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

A several of years ago, I paid a well known shop to change my plugs. When I did my 1st engine drop and changed them myself a couple years later, the original factory plug was still in this one.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:22 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eichlerman
Who makes this tool?

Thanks
They're made by multiple mfgrs. I think mines a snap on. Go to "Tool Topia", or Amazon. Maybe 20 bucks, but more than worth it. I used to have anxiety, knowing I needed to do my plugs. I am not so stressed about it now. My biggest fear was losing or breaking something down in the unseen abyss. This thing slides in easily, seats perfectly and sits at the VC where you can see it when it's seated. No more multiple attachments. I actually still have most of the skin on the back of my hands now, after doing the plugs.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:15 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ993
i Dit it.

JM993 Posted on it. See:
"Just Replaced All Spark Plugs W/O Taking Anything Apart!!!! "

Then I added to his Post starting at #26 on Page 2 with Pics (on Pg 3) of what I used to Remove the "Bitch Plug"

Its all about Angles - the right angle, thin wrist, long fingers / forearms and the right combo of tools.
Have a Read - It can be done without removing anything.
Yup. For the record, I did it this way once. Soon after I got a lift which really makes the whole job much easier.

Cheers
Joe
Old 12-26-2014, 12:37 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yawn. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/642408-just-an-oil-change-that-6-spark-plug.html
Old 12-26-2014, 07:44 PM
cluskera
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cylinder 6 upper plug

Well, changed the plugs today. 4 lower is awkward but can be done just by loosening the rubber hose to the heat exchanger.

The "bitch" plug - I probably wouldn't do it again to be honest . Arm is quite sore. Didn't use any fancy air tools just a couple of knuckles and extensions taped up . Was quite unfortunate to suffer a knuckle disconnecting in the hole.

Retrieving it and getting the loose plug connected is one of the more stressful tasks I've been faced with on a 911. Not nice. Hand shake moment.

My arm is swollen up and my wrist aches. A few nicks.

Job done. Probably never again. Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. Car purring away nicely, definitely sweeter .
Old 01-11-2015, 10:07 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by cluskera
Well, changed the plugs today. 4 lower is awkward but can be done just by loosening the rubber hose to the heat exchanger.

The "bitch" plug - I probably wouldn't do it again to be honest . Arm is quite sore. Didn't use any fancy air tools just a couple of knuckles and extensions taped up . Was quite unfortunate to suffer a knuckle disconnecting in the hole.

Retrieving it and getting the loose plug connected is one of the more stressful tasks I've been faced with on a 911. Not nice. Hand shake moment.

My arm is swollen up and my wrist aches. A few nicks.

Job done. Probably never again. Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. Car purring away nicely, definitely sweeter .
I just removed all of my spark plugs and wires. It is truly a PITA job. However, I did remove this plug fairly easily once I got the method. My hands could barely fit in the space to get the socket and extensions down the hole. What I did was use my left hand with my back the car and if made it much easier to guide the socket and collection of attachementa down the hole. I used joints and extensions to route it behind the power steering unit. The spark play was easy to remove from here. I tried attaching the socket wrench under and in front of the power steering unit but that was not working for me. Not sure if the other folks that have gotten this spark plug out used this method but it worked for me. Now #5 was difficult for me! Lost the socket and attachments down the hole twice and the spark plug seemed to be deeper or a different angle or something because it took me a bit to get the right collection of attachments to work after fishing others out if the hole! Or I just could have been completely worn out by then from removing the other 10 plugs
Old 01-11-2015, 10:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

After reading TJ's post, I was thinking how in the hell did he torque his plugs?
Bill V. seems to have covered it nicely

Quick Reply: Spark plug behind power steering unit