Sponsored by:

"Just" An Oil Change/That #6 Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "Just" An Oil Change/That #6 Spark Plug

Probably saw the "View From The Loft" thread, and that I left the car at the shop Friday to change the oil since it had been 10K.

Well, when is it ever that simple? Long story sorta-short, one of my old customers has kinda been bugging me about buying the 4S. So I tell him I'll be working on it Saturday, and come on by. Well, now he's there and in the remote chance he'll buy the car why not pull the lower plugs and do a compression/leakdown. Oh, and since I'm pulling 6 plugs, and they've been in there almost 30K, why not change them out. One last thing, since I didn't have caps/rotors last time I serviced the car, the ones on it have been on there almost 50K so I change those. Air and fuel filters, too.

So, what turns out to be a simple oil changes ends up being an almost full service. (Still need to get 993 pulley halves for the fan/alternator before I change the belts, and I was working on my back so the trans/diff fluid change will wait a bit.)

All is well, leakdown low/compression normal, and that was good to show in front of the guy. Plugs + caps/rotors changed. Funny thing about the #6 intake plug, and it's honestly been 2+ years since I've changed one out on a 993 in the car--whipped out the trusty combination of parts (see photo) I figured out 13-14 years ago when I had a "what the ____" moment on the first one that I had to service, and it came out just fine in really no time.

Start to finish was about 3.5 hours, with the usual interruptions.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 AM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, I am saving that photo. I will be changing the plugs @ 60K, should be there around October. Thanks Ken.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Long story sorta-short, one of my old customers has kinda been bugging me about buying the 4S.
thought you understood the 4S was mine next?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So you accessed the plug from above? Didn't have to disassemble everything to get at it from underneath?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by inkatouring
thought you understood the 4S was mine next?
Anyone who wants to pay retail for what it is can have it...............

Originally Posted by 911Dave
So you accessed the plug from above? Didn't have to disassemble everything to get at it from underneath?
No. Just over the top of the power steering pump. I did pull the feed line away, mainly because I'd forgotten if I really needed to. Not sure if/when I'll do another 993 plug change engine-in-car, but I'll try to remember to not touch anything else (save air filter removal) next time.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Another thing to remember is that you've got to have a working basis when getting to the plugs. I know how I last installed them (e.g. didn't overtorque). Unless you did your last set, all bets are off. Of the maybe 10 993s I've ever serviced (remember all of my "pro" experience is pre-1995, when I had my shops), I can remember a couple being a real bitch. Almost makes you want to be working on a 964 and having to pull the covers off for the valve adjustment, with the extra clearance you're given down in there..............
Old 07-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice piece of gear ... two questions svp;
a) what is the center to center dimension of the 2 universals? ( looks to be ~ 150mm/6")
b) did you tack weld enough of the pieces to the socket to prevent a disappearing act into the plug well if it came apart?

Unless you did your last set, all bets are off
..... too true - I recently used an 18" breaker bar to get the small engine filter off a friends 993

Quick Reply: "Just" An Oil Change/That #6 Spark Plug