Sponsored by:

Polish / Paint Prep?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 01:10 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Polish / Paint Prep?

I started the detailing process on my car last night. The paint looks amazing, but there are plenty of fine surface scratches that I want to remove before I wax it. I started with the least aggressive polish I have - the Menzerna Final Finish - applied by hand. To my surprise, the towel I used was pretty red after just a bit of polishing.

Sorry for such an elementary questions, but these cars don't have a clear coat, right?

I have a whole host of options for Lake County pads and a slightly more aggressive Menzerna polish, but I'm curious about the community's experience with modern polishes on the 993's paint.

Also, oxidation is normal even in a car that's been garaged and only seen the sun while driven, right?

Thanks in advance and best,

JD
Old 12-11-2014, 01:15 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the 993s all have paint + clear.

Before polishing, I would clay the car. This removes most of the dirt and particles. So you don't have to be aggressive on the polish. And the running your hand across paint feels SOOOOO good afterward.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
branman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just clayed/polished/waxed with griots products and had zero color (basalt) on my pads during the polishing process. Previous owner had left car outside quite a bit as well but car shows no oxidation.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:27 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Not all 993s are clear. My 1996 Guards Red is single stage. If he is getting paint on the towel when using polish then it is single.

Like stated above, after washing the car clay it (you need clay and the clay lubricant). Wipe off as you do a section. Use high quality micro or cotton for all steps. I would clay by sponge.

To get rid of fine scratches you will need a more aggressive polish than Final. Hard to say not knowing paint depth and seeing the scratches. Maybe start with a mid range Menzerna, polish with a towel by section, and then do it again with Final. I use an orbital for polishing.

For a dark single stage I would use a very high quality carnauba wax and apply at least two coats. I do this using a sponge.

I took these pics this morning for an insurance increase, car has dust on it etc but the light reflections give you an ideal of where you can get to with a lot of elbow grease. The shadowing is just from the cold lights.
Attached Images   

Last edited by il pirata; 12-12-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: changed hand to sponge which is what I actually do
Old 12-11-2014, 02:27 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Guards Red is a single stage paint. The color will "come off" on your towel when polishing. And yes, it's normal to have light oxidation after a few years unless regularly polish your car. My cars don't get driven a whole lot. I polish once every 2 years.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:48 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Nice car, Bob!

Okay, thanks for the sanity check on the single stage paint.

I think the next step is Menzerna Intensive Polish with finishing pads. Hopefully that does the job. Then Final Polish. Final step is Zymol Glassur by hand.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:32 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on Axl's comment. Clay is essential. Try using a piece of cellophane under your finger tips. I was shocked the first time I did this, because I thought my results had been great - then I used the cellophane and had to go back and do more.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

paint correction by hand is a waste of time. a good DA is the key
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Agree
Old 12-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, machine polish for a more level surface.

Waxing by hand is fine.

Regards,

Old 12-11-2014, 10:57 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Agree. And because of the inconsistent pressure you'll have with your hands in a towel, you might cause odd reflections in larger panels.

If you have Menzerna polishes, you should use a DA polisher. You'll love the results.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:08 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Final step is Zymol Glassur by hand.
And for what it's worth, don't bother with the bare hands method of applying wax (where you scoop it in your hands and massage it on). Use a proper sponge or mf wax applicator.

The bare hands method is a waste of wax, and the thick coat makes it twice as hard to wipe off. You can do 2 or 3 thin coats with a sponge in the time it will take using the bare hands method, and you'll get better results.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Agree to the above, I actually use a sponge and not bare hands.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:40 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Yep - Menzerna being used with my old workhorse Porter Cable. (mama didn't raise no fool)

I have to respectfully disagree about the actual by-hand method of putting on the final coat of wax. First, it somehow feels a little wrong (. Second, it helps me literally feel how much wax is going on and if there are any issues left in the paint. And, at least with the Zymol, I've never had a problem with removal.

Quick Reply: Polish / Paint Prep?