Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipes and CC inserts. Review and Pics (FINN!!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003 | 05:36 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Straight pipes and CC inserts. Review and Pics (FINN!!)

Hi guys,
Well I've had my straight pipes in for a while now and absolutely love them (not to mention the crazy amounts of weight it saved). Only problem was the outrageously loud idle.

First I had custom fabbed silencers which were removable but the sound wasn't really to my liking. So I decided to try out the CC inserts that someone had used in thier Supercups (forgot who).

I went with the 3 Disk model and modified them. These things really work great. It cut the idle noise down by about half, getting rid of all the loud obnoxious noises and keeping the low bass rumble. So far its been great and I love the new sound. I have yet to drive through an enclosed parking lot but I'll keep you guys updated on that. It seems this is a great noise solution for those who want cat bypasses and supercups for the street.

In the meantime here are some pics of the custom exhaust and the CC Inserts installed.

Old 08-22-2003 | 05:43 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I'm thinking about getting these for my Supercups...any sound clips by chance?
Old 08-22-2003 | 06:36 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Here I am!

Nice set up Princeton!

I currently have supercups' own baffles backed tight (my set up is cat by-pass & fabspeed supercups) and it is pretty good. When I go to the track, I'll take the baffles out and "let 'em hear it"!

Looks like your inserts are welded, are they? How di you modify them?

I think I'll try those disks also since they're inexpensive and the sound might be better (it is quite good now).

Sound clip would be nice!
Old 08-22-2003 | 06:37 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Who makes the "CC inserts"?
Old 08-22-2003 | 06:46 PM
Benton
Drifting

Princeton,
Did you get an exhaust shop to just custom bend that tubing? Is the mounting thingy that bolts up to the heat exchangers Porsche exclusive or how did you get it made? Would you say that this setup is much louder than supercups with cats? Is the sound different from supercups with cats? I don't mind the loudness at lower RPM's, but I don't want it to sound like a race car at high RPM's and attract the smokies like a magnet. My car is my daily driver, but I used to own a Land Rover D90 with no cats and a 1 chamber muffler (essentially a straight pipe) so I love loud. Sorry for all of the questions. I guess a sound file would answer them all! Thanks
Old 08-22-2003 | 06:48 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

what are "cc" inserts?
Old 08-22-2003 | 07:00 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Phil McGrath
what are "cc" inserts?
They're replacement baffles for the SuperCups. I forgot who the vendor is but I believe it was rattlsnake (sp?) who first bought them and posted about a month ago.
Old 08-22-2003 | 07:05 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is the link guys:

CC Inserts
Old 08-22-2003 | 07:19 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

David- None yet. I'm working on converting a video we just took.

Finn- Thanks. This is definitely more quiet than the wide open setup. I did have them tac welded in since I like the sound enough also becuase they were such a tight fit that it would be a pain to remove them anyway. The way I modified them was the cut the tube part off of the inner disk (so that it wouldn't seal completely against the exhaust pipe wall. Also for the middle disk I cut off about half of the tubular part just to make it easier to insert. The mod on the inner most disc was so that the air would meet a gradually more resistance as it reached the outside instead of a sudden wall.

NineNine3- Yeah I had my friends performance shop custom fab the system for me. Made from 3 U-bends of 304 stainless. The flanges that attach to the heat exchangers are just porsche units (in my case they were cut off of my cat.
I'm not sure what supercups with cats sound like so I wouldn't be able to make that comparison. Since you are not looking for the racecar sound at high RPM I would NOT suggest a setup like this. It doesnt bother the cops at idle and low-mid rpms but it gets pretty darn loud when your at WOT.
I definitely love the sound and I also use my car pretty much daily. You just have to be careful not to blast by cops, which you wouldn't want to do either way.
Old 08-22-2003 | 07:20 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah forgot to mention I idled through the Galleria (local mall) enclosed parking lot today and didn't set off a single alarm. Without the inserts it would set off one or two and make a whole bunch of systems beep as I passed.
Old 08-22-2003 | 09:04 PM
JasonW
Instructor

Damnit, I loved that idle sound. It made me weak in the knees. :-P
Old 08-23-2003 | 02:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

NineNine3,

I had supercups with cat and now have supercups with cat by-pass pipes.
Believe me, it is at least 3 times louder w/out the cat...
Especially WOT, sounds just fabulous though!

I now use baffles when I'm driving on street, which still is really loud WOT but decent (im my scale anyway) when idling or driving slowly.

Thanks Princeton.
Old 08-23-2003 | 11:08 PM
JasonW
Instructor

Ok, well I heard it this morning for the first time with the inserts, and it still sounds amazing.

... sorry about that wait this morning Princeton, I swear the email said 610. :-P
Old 08-26-2003 | 07:02 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Yeah, it was me,.. glad you like them. A circle track guy turned me onto them! The only issue ive had with them is they turned the sides of the pipes near the ends purple from the heat. It really doesnt bother me, but it might bother some people. I really liked the open Supercup sound, but it was a little to loud even for me. These inserts made it almost perfect.

Quick Reply: Straight pipes and CC inserts. Review and Pics (FINN!!)