Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need suggestions on a good engine oil with adequate ZDDP

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:41 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The other tidbit of info. to consider, is the vehicle and oil manufacturers can only list what is the most efficient lubricant in regards to mileage/consumption. Think "green". There's NO consideration for the consumers longevity of their vehicle or it's components. Hell, I think the tire/ suspension manufacturers lobby to keep our roads in such poor shape :-).
The recommendation I'd rely on, would be that of the (trusted) engine builders. Who see the direct effects of lubricants.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rotella T6 user here. With the heavier weight oils my oil pressure gauge pegs the ceiling and never comes back down.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Rotella T6 user here. With the heavier weight oils my oil pressure gauge pegs the ceiling and never comes back down.
But, you can theoretically have a high pressure and zero oil flow.

IMHO, Oil flow is what it is all about.

One wants the entire flow capacity of the oil pump going through the bearings at the highest pressure possible, not out the pressure bypass circuit and back to the tank and this theoretically would be achieved by the perfect viscosity in a hot engine.

Unfortunately, the flow dimension is not measurable by the casual user.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 588 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
The other tidbit of info. to consider, is the vehicle and oil manufacturers can only list what is the most efficient lubricant in regards to mileage/consumption. Think "green". There's NO consideration for the consumers longevity of their vehicle or it's components. Hell, I think the tire/ suspension manufacturers lobby to keep our roads in such poor shape :-).
The recommendation I'd rely on, would be that of the (trusted) engine builders. Who see the direct effects of lubricants.
Actually the manufacturers are far more worried about the mandated emissions warranty and the life of components like the cat that are integral to that. This was the reason for reducing the ZDDP requirement in oil starting in 1996, a secondary concern is fuel efficiency which is why the manufactures are moving to lighter weight oils. The oils that should never ever be used in our engines are those w/ the ILSEC starburst label

The heavier weight oils are not considered to be fuel efficient and so are less restricted as to ZDDP than the lighter weight oils, these heavier oils w/ more ZDDP have the ILSEC donut label

ZDDP content prior to '96 was in the 1600ppm range, MT 15w-50 at 1200/1300 is considered to be adequate by most oil experts
Old 12-12-2014, 05:27 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
ZDDP content prior to '96 was in the 1600ppm range, MT 15w-50 at 1200/1300 is considered to be adequate by most oil experts
Thanks Bill for providing this historical data.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:44 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually the manufacturers are far more worried about the mandated emissions warranty and the life of components like the cat that are integral to that. This was the reason for reducing the ZDDP requirement in oil starting in 1996, a secondary concern is fuel efficiency which is why the manufactures are moving to lighter weight oils. The oils that should never ever be used in our engines are those w/ the ILSEC starburst label

The heavier weight oils are not considered to be fuel efficient and so are less restricted as to ZDDP than the lighter weight oils, these heavier oils w/ more ZDDP have the ILSEC donut label

That's what I was getting at, they are more concerned with emission constrains and fuel economy than engine longevity.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:03 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

But, you can theoretically have a high pressure and zero oil flow.
Exactly. That's why I use the lighter 5w-40. If I were to take my car to the track on a 95 degree day I would probably change to a heavier oil.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Exactly. That's why I use the lighter 5w-40. If I were to take my car to the track on a 95 degree day I would probably change to a heavier oil.
FWIW,....5w oil is way too damned thin for these air-cooled engines unless you are in arctic conditions. Main bearing thrust wear is accelerated using that stuff. (Works OK in the water-boilers since their tolerances are quite different)

I would recommend a 15w-40 for you.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

Agreed the new Porsche line of classic oils in 10W60 and 20W50 say it all as far as the appropriate grades for these engines.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:44 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Agreed the new Porsche line of classic oils in 10W60 and 20W50 say it all as far as the appropriate grades for these engines.

Thank you!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 AM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

ZDDP content prior to '96 was in the 1600ppm range
Where did you read that?

A few years ago, Blackstone tested an amusing collection of vintage oil cans - likely from the 50's through early 80's. The results where all over the place but nothing consistently that high. (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...ril-1-2012.php, http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...une-1-2012.php, http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...ber-1-2012.php).

Of course, there's more to it than just the concentration of 2 elements, hence the various API & OE standards / requirements. Anyone see an oil analysis for the new Porsche oils yet?
Old 12-13-2014, 08:30 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I don't think I'd ban them; I would simply ask for maintaining civility & courtesy (rapidly decreasing qualities) when discussing or debating such a divisive and contentious topic.

Based on my phone traffic & e-mails about this subject, there seems to still be a lot of people who are confused and/or overwhelmed by the sheer amount of posts which have left folks wondering what to, and what not to use in their air-cooled engine.

While I've written ad nauseum about oils for 17+ years, both here and on Pelican, I still don't mind answering questions when people need a bottom-line solution.

Its a complex subject with variables well beyond the spec sheets/VOA's and there is no substitute for the practical field experience gleaned from rebuilding a LOT of these engines for 35+ years and I'm happy to share that.
Can't beat field experience and real data. People like Steve W, and Sean and Bruce Buchanan (for water pumper Porsches) deserve an audience.

Steve, if you don't mind sharing: what are the aspects aside from oil spec that have the most influence on lubrication failures?

I'm thinking of things like: driving style from cold; contamination introduced during oil changes; fuel dilution from leaking injectors; oil levels; moisture content from condensation; oil pickup/sump/pump design; OPRV issues; non-OE parts; etc etc.

Which external factor is the most significant, what's the failure mode, and what are the symptoms?

Thanks,
Mike (ICML MLT1)
Old 12-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Emo993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe Gibbs Driven......
Old 12-13-2014, 01:11 PM
JDB1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the new Porsche 10W-60 relabeled Liqui Moly Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60?
Old 12-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

^ unlikely with Mobil as the OEM factory fill supplier.

Quick Reply: need suggestions on a good engine oil with adequate ZDDP