Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Klasse - I'm doing it wrong!!!

Just been over to Autopia, apparently the preferred Klasse method is:

Wash Car
Apply AIO- wait 10 minute.
Apply AIO again - wait 10 minutes.

Wipe off with MF towel.

Apply SG and leave for at least 20 minutes.
Come back and wipe off with another MF towel using
either Meguiars QD or distilled water spray to help with the
removal.

voila!

wait at least 24 hours between coats of SG.

I'll be doing this this weekend...pics will follow if anyones interested...

and yes - I'll be doing my wheels too!

Old 08-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A wax job only protects whatever the condition of the finish.

If you haven't already, you may want to expand the "wash car" portion to:

a) Dawn wash ( to remove all old wax )
b) Clay entire car ( using claymagic and lots of QD spray )
c) Dawn wash to remove any clay/qd residue

You'll be amazed how smooth the paint is after the clay. It also makes the AIO go on a lot easier when the surface is nice and smooth.

Additionally, if you have any swirl marks, it would be a good time to remove them before you AIO the car. I've used the PC with great success. You can also use it to apply the AIO, whcih makes it a lot faster and give better coverage.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:26 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first time claying wasn't as bad as I expected. I highly recommend this extra step if you're going all-out. Just follow the instructions provided with the clay bar. I accidentally skipped step (c) above but there doesn't seem to be any major impact so in the future, I'll probably skip (c) anyway. Btw, I was using the Zaino products (claybar, wash, polish, etc.)
Old 08-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cheers Jeff,

Random Orbital PC's aren't widely available over here (in fact a mate of mine bought his while on holiday in Miami last year) and I'm a bit scared to put one against the paintwork of my car (nightmare scenario of taking the paint right off springs to mind!!).

But yes - I will most likely wash with Dawn-equivalent and then hd-cleanse (as I dont have any clay!!) and then wash again before moving 993 into the garage for the Klasse...

cheers
Old 08-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Mark97c2
Intermediate

Has anyone had any experience with NuFinish? They have this one product which adds a silicone(?) coating over which lasts for 1-2 years. So if any dirt gets on, you can just take a towel and wipe off. The problem is, if you put it on and the car is dirty, the dirt will be there for 1-2 years also.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:26 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the instructions that come with their kit say to do a small section at a time (or was that the instructions on the bottle?). So that tells me that it really doesn't matter how you do it...

Remember that each application of AIO removes any previous coats of SG or AIO. Thus, I there's little reason to apply AIO twice unless maybe the paint is in pretty bad shape.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by Surj-993C2S
Cheers Jeff,

Random Orbital PC's aren't widely available over here (in fact a mate of mine bought his while on holiday in Miami last year) and I'm a bit scared to put one against the paintwork of my car (nightmare scenario of taking the paint right off springs to mind!!).
I had your same fear. I even practiced on my honda a few times with the PC to get the feel of it. I finally used the PC on my porsche and it worked out great. Saved a lot of time too! There've been a number of rennlisters who have had great success with the PC, so it's safe.

If you need somebody here to order a PC for you, just let me know. I can forward the package to you overseas if you want.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:29 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Mark97c2
Has anyone had any experience with NuFinish? They have this one product which adds a silicone(?) coating over which lasts for 1-2 years. So if any dirt gets on, you can just take a towel and wipe off. The problem is, if you put it on and the car is dirty, the dirt will be there for 1-2 years also.
Nu Finish is a sealant like Zaino, Klasse, Blackfire, etc. Like most sealants, it rather durable and last much longer than a carnauba based wax, however I doubt it will last 1-2 years. I think Klasse, Zaino and Blackfire (only sealants I have tried) all offer better shine and depth (none offer great depth IMO) than Nu Finish. However, Nu Finish is relatively inexpensive and is an all in one step. Be cautious if you decide to use it, not to get it on trim pieces (like bumperettes or window molding) because it will stain them. If you do get it on the trim try mineral spirits to get it off (still hard work). I think it is difficult to remove compared to other sealants and it dust up more on removal. Overall I think there are better sealants on the market.

As for the slickness factor most sealants provide this same feeling. As for dirt on your finish being “sealed” in, you should not apply any type of wax or sealant to a dirty surface. That being said most sealants will not bond with the surface properly if the surface is dirty or contains oils or fillers. Zaino is very particular about this. Klasse uses AIO to prep everything prior to the application of the SG. Nu Finish is similar to AIO in that it contains cleaners to remove anything that causes problems with bonding.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:31 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Mark97c2
And it's P I T A if you have at some point to paint your car (or part of it)...

Trust me, I've tried to paint cars & helmets w/ silicone wax on it, it ain't easy to get it 100% off and paints don't like silicone...
Old 08-21-2003, 05:29 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Re: Nu Finish
Good product. Well rated by Consumer Reports for years, primarily due to ease of use. I have used it regularly on my drivers for over 10 years. It has a small amount of cleaner / abrasive in it so you do not tend to scratch the paint. It's easy enough to use that I wax my Pewter GMC 4 times a year to keep it looking strak. You can go much longer if you are not that particular. It does protect the paint well. You will want to remove the Nu Finish from your trim so as not to stain it.
That said I just used the Zymol cleaner/wax on my black 993 yesterday. Way more labor intensive but it really shines up. Costco has a Zymol wax and liquid finish kit for about $10 if you're interested.
Robin
Old 08-22-2003, 07:21 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff - thanks again for the kind offer but I should probably spend my meagre funds on the car rather than ancilliary items such as PCs (for now ) - my wife would never understand that one!!

cheers
Old 08-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Christer
Race Car

Normally what I do is this. Get up and use PPS with warm H2O. Rinse thoroughly and dry. Then I use the CS with my hands in order to remove DB and TS's. Wipe off with SCC and repeat if necesssary. I wouldn't use clay more than a couple of times a year, but after this I get the RVW and apply again with hands. At this point it is nice to GH the whole car with JHT and CBF. NB, CBF should be used ASAP after JHT. Get the SCC again and wipe down using NC movements. Repeat if necessary. HTH.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

WTF??

Anacronym overload!!

Old 08-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Can somebody translate what christer said??? Too many TLA's.. ( three letter acronyms.. )
Old 08-22-2003, 07:01 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow...missed most of those TLA's myself.
Couple of points from my experience and reflecting only my opinion.

Zymol supposed to be the shti, but it is expensive and REALLY not durable. They share their brand name now with TurtleWax...the stuff at Costco is fancy TurtleWax, not Zymol.

Polymers such as Zaino are not as deep as Carnauba, but last probably 10 times as long, AND won't melt...yes, melt. If you have a dark car in the direct sun, it can often get hot enough to literally melt the wax...so much for the effort & $$.

I find that layering the Zaino does give some depth, but not as much as Carnauba. However, for me personally I like the ease of application and knowing I can layer and such. It also, in my opinion, provides more protection...stuff is easier to get off the car, incl. small scratches, with Zaino on the car.

Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Klasse - I'm doing it wrong!!!