Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 C4 vs 2014 Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do Camry enthusiasts talk about comparing their cars with 993's on the Toyota Forum????
Old 11-05-2014, 02:29 AM
Zeichen 282
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the 993 and the Camry have something very important in common: they are designed and engineered to do their respective (very different, obviously) jobs very, very well.

I don't hate on Camrys or Corollas (unless they're slow poking ahead of me going 5 under). I respect them for fulfilling their owner's expectations. Call me crazy, but I enjoy driving my '11 Prius. Not as much as the 993, mind you, but I think the much maligned Prius deserves respect - it was designed to produce the least emissions possible (and consequently, use the least amount of gas possible) and it does so while being one of the most reliable cars on the market today.

It's done that despite the complex hybrid gas-electric power train that was many years ahead of its time, without real competitors and still remains at the front of the hybrid pack today. Toyota made a big bet when they developed and brought the Prius to market, and it's paid off handsomely for them.

I think Toyota and Porsche both have brilliant engineers - it's just that they're pursuing different goals, but each does it really well for the most part. Disregard for a moment things like IMS failures, GT3 engines grenading and burning on one hand and massive recalls, quality crises, "unintended acceleration" etc. on the other.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:54 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 555 Posts

I'd rather be kicked in the ***** 100 times every day than drive a POS Camry. They are soulless appliances that represent the antithesis of everything I care about as a car guy. Worst of all, they are almost exclusively driven by a$$holes who like to block the left lane.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:36 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
I'd rather be kicked in the ***** 100 times every day than drive a POS Camry
Maybe that works for you but not me...
Old 11-05-2014, 03:58 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

chgcg:

As the original poster, I am not considering buying a Camry for any reason. This thread is more of a comparison between two highly engineered machines: one for high-engagement, high-enjoyment, high-performance automobile and.... a completely soulless, but totally reliable transportation appliance. There's a lot to compare and contrast!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

LOL on this thread! Ironically, Porsche did hire the Japanese to improve their line manufacturing and efficiencies at the factory for the 993. Probably also where the damned OBD came from...
Old 11-06-2014, 02:46 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeichen 282
I'll go out on a limb here and say that the 993 and the Camry have something very important in common: they are designed and engineered to do their respective (very different, obviously) jobs very, very well.

I don't hate on Camrys or Corollas (unless they're slow poking ahead of me going 5 under). I respect them for fulfilling their owner's expectations. Call me crazy, but I enjoy driving my '11 Prius. Not as much as the 993, mind you, but I think the much maligned Prius deserves respect - it was designed to produce the least emissions possible (and consequently, use the least amount of gas possible) and it does so while being one of the most reliable cars on the market today.

It's done that despite the complex hybrid gas-electric power train that was many years ahead of its time, without real competitors and still remains at the front of the hybrid pack today. Toyota made a big bet when they developed and brought the Prius to market, and it's paid off handsomely for them.

I think Toyota and Porsche both have brilliant engineers - it's just that they're pursuing different goals, but each does it really well for the most part. Disregard for a moment things like IMS failures, GT3 engines grenading and burning on one hand and massive recalls, quality crises, "unintended acceleration" etc. on the other.
i agree. and if you check my sig, you'll see that i drive an enormous sophisticated toyota as my DD. in reference to my earlier comment, the lex is just a larger "styrofoam" cup, but a dead reliable, comfortable, luxury commuter, and a perfect car for dates.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:20 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Camry for straight line commuting: http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...y+dragster.htm

(I still think it's hilarious for knocking cars like this for the "common" folk. Wonder how many of you would content with my daily driver for a month while the 996 Turbo was left behind in AZ--a 993 vintage F150 V-6 5 speed.)
Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

Just saw this- LOL! My wife has a 2013 Civic- WAY quieter, WAY more "technology", WAY WAY less fun!
And I can get my C4S 0-60 in 5 seconds and there's NO WAY the Camry hits 70 in second or 100+ in 3rd- if it hits 100 at all. Same with the our Honda.

I enjoy the trappings of the newer cars, but man I miss driving the C4S right now... el crapola up here!!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:44 AM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

No kidding on the crap weather, PRSWILL. I was going to send a note out to the local club and see who, if anyone, is driving their cars these days (Cayenne and Macan excluded.)

Quick Reply: 1995 C4 vs 2014 Toyota Camry