1995 C4 vs 2014 Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Mush buckets.
Yeah....Toyota Camrys are mush buckets. I hate them, and hate driving behind them since they usually driver 5mph slower than everyone else.

My theory is this...(my old man owns one and I drove it)...the Camry is such a mush bucket that is soft and wallowy with no feedback. So you don't get a sense of what the car is doing, and don't really feel safe driving at any speed. So you end up driving 5-10mph slower than you normally would. I actually observed myself doing this driving my dad's Camry!

Honda Accords are 180 degrees opposite of this!
Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
Get both, the Camry is a great daily driver. They lease for $300.
locally, a lease for a 2014 Camry is $69 month...don't pay attention to $ down, mileage, duration.

I've been known to put more than that in the gas tank of the 993 in a week. That's a fair enough value comparison for me.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

having just spent the weekend in a camry rental i can add some commentary. the camry is like driving a styrofoam cup.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny thread i found it an enjoyable read

I will say this the crash test rating is probably better on the 993 then the 2014 Camry thats what stopped me from buying it . Dead serious about that.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After my 750i i picked up an accord strickly for crash test ratings though camry is nicer looking. Bmw will never recall any errors, vanos and idrive are probally the worst thing ever known to man. Amazing how 2010 car eats a liter of oil in less then 3k miles and this is normal.

I had a ls460 that i loved but felt alittle cheap great car though
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Porsche dealer gave me a Camry as a loaner about a year back. I completely agree with the soulless comments. It was awful, I felt completely removed from the car. I drove it home, and I parked it until my Porsche was fixed. My 2004 F350 was more fun to drive than that piece of junk.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I drive the 993 it's my car. I also have the same feeling in my jeep. Im beginning to think it has to do with the analogue feel and the manual transmission in both. Neither of the two ride smooth and both require attention when driving in bad coditiins or pushing the limits.
+2

I also got a kick out of reading this thread. Maybe I am starting to show my age, or my lack of forward thinking but I find almost all of the new cars to be numb and uninspiring even if they are superior in every quantifiable sense. Even newer Porsches and BMW's are becoming more and more GT/Touring cars than they are true sports cars IMO.
Unfortunately the vast vast majority of car buyers want an appliance and see driving as a chore not a privilege.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Camry = Worst car we ever owned. Bought it new because our Audi 5000 was getting way long in the teeth, and friends said it was a reliable car for my wife. NOT!!! Worst POS ever from day 1. Since we took delivery on last day of December (1986) it may have been made on the first day of hunting season in Japan. (no US plant then) First thing I noticed when we got it home was the trunk mat was installed crooked. After that it was one thing after another- electrical, engine, body. It was LESS reliable than my '80 MGB. And, it was useless in the snow. So bad my wife abandoned it at work 3 times. Whereas she would drive her Audi through anything including snow drifts. At one time it was in & out of the shop for 5 weeks in a 2-month period.

How can you say Porsche in same sentence as CPOS?

P.S.: Friend who recommended Camry had one whose a.t. went bad a couple hundred miles out of warrantee. Dealer/corporate response? "Too bad. It will cost you $2400." I had a similar trans failure on a VW a couple thousand miles out of warrantee and (then) VW-Porsche/Audi fixed it for the $12 cost of new trans fluid after replacing the trans casing. That's why we have had European cars ever since.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
I affectionately call it "tank" because it's hard to turn, stop, or much of anything else.

Originally Posted by 12mpg
It drove like a couch. I already have a couch at home.
Originally Posted by FLYT993
the camry is like driving a styrofoam cup.
Can you two please sort this out?

I'm confused! Is it a couch or a styrofoam cup?!?!?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:06 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

so much hate for camrys...I'll take the other side.
In college I used to own 2001 2dr camry solara with V6 and stick (rare combo).
It was great car. It was lighter or about the same weight as 993. It was faster than any civic and on par with newer GTI (ok not talking track or twisties here). Oil changes were 25 dollars at dealer with every 5th free. It didn't need any other maitenance over 4 years I had it, except for battery. Rapair after hitting dear at 75mph costed 3k at dealer. It had SUV hight ride so winter driving with winter tires was no issue in any level of snow. 50mph on snow pack roads passing SUVs on highway. Summer tires added grip so it doesn't squeel in every turn. And all this for $10k at the time.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
Camry = Worst car we ever owned. Bought it new because our Audi 5000 was getting way long in the teeth, and friends said it was a reliable car for my wife. NOT!!! Worst POS ever from day 1. Since we took delivery on last day of December (1986) it may have been made on the first day of hunting season in Japan.
Welcome to the 21st century. You can find many 10-15 year old camry's with 250-300k miles still for sale.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
The Porsche dealer gave me a Camry as a loaner about a year back. that piece of junk.
A camry is not a piece of junk. If its really escaped you thus far, ITS SUPPOSED TO BE SOUL LESS. Thats the whole ****ing point. It is supposed to be so unremarkable in every way that you don't think about it. Its an appliance for the vast majority of the public who don't have any interest in cars. And THAT, it does brilliantly.

In reality, its a very decent car to drive. The V6 has good power, the interior is quiet with good quality materials and good ergonomics, it has light easy steering, adequate brakes, and generally has no annoyances.

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
Camry = Worst car we ever owned. Bought it new because our Audi 5000 was getting way long in the teeth, and friends said it was a reliable car for my wife. NOT!!! Worst POS ever from day 1. Since we took delivery on last day of December (1986) it may have been made on the first day of hunting season in Japan. (no US plant then) First thing I noticed when we got it home was the trunk mat was installed crooked. After that it was one thing after another- electrical, engine, body. It was LESS reliable than my '80 MGB. And, it was useless in the snow. So bad my wife abandoned it at work 3 times. Whereas she would drive her Audi through anything including snow drifts. At one time it was in & out of the shop for 5 weeks in a 2-month period.

How can you say Porsche in same sentence as CPOS?

P.S.: Friend who recommended Camry had one whose a.t. went bad a couple hundred miles out of warrantee. Dealer/corporate response? "Too bad. It will cost you $2400." I had a similar trans failure on a VW a couple thousand miles out of warrantee and (then) VW-Porsche/Audi fixed it for the $12 cost of new trans fluid after replacing the trans casing. That's why we have had European cars ever since.
anecdotes are fun. Oh wait, did you really bring up european cars and after warranty good will repairs? Please! This list of ridiculous failures on euro cars that occur at under 100k miles is nearly endless. Goodwill? Unlikely unless you are a hell of a customer.

This whole topic is asinine and some people seem to be so mentally limited that they can't understand what the point of a camry is. Driving enjoyment, dunces, is not it.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone who says a Camry is a POS is obviously not an engineer... Or even a little bit technically minded. They also have obviously never had to unfailingly rely on a single vehicle to get them to work every day.

When the bombs have all burst, and the cockroaches rule the earth, all our Porsches will be sitting in useless valve guide melted, IMS shaft failing, head stud pulled, engine exploded heaps.

Roving bands of Mercedes W123s, Jeep XJ Cherokees, Volvo 240s, and 92-01 Camrys will all be in perfect shape, 500K on the clock... Seeking whom they may devour.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:07 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Camry would be an ideal " grocery getter " IMHO

Cheers Guy
Old 11-05-2014, 12:13 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
When the bombs have all burst, and the cockroaches rule the earth, all our Porsches will be sitting in useless valve guide melted, IMS shaft failing, head stud pulled, engine exploded heaps.
Nah, my cousin and I will be doing our Mad Max best to keep them going.

(OT. But in case anyone didn't know of the new one next year:
)

Quick Reply: 1995 C4 vs 2014 Toyota Camry