Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 HVAC Servo Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014 | 05:20 PM
DBLinSquan
Rennlist Member

Default 993 HVAC Servo Removal

I believe my '95 993 fresh air servo is shot. No fresh air. No movement of servo when I move temp setting from high to low. When I apply 12V to pins 4 & 5 on servo, nothing moves. Trying to get servo out for rebuild. Can anyone explain how to? I've read where some remove adjacent footwell servo but I can't seem to get that one out either. Not as helpless as I seem; just need step-by-step instructions. Thanks much.

Larry
Old 10-11-2014 | 06:43 PM
MDamen
Pro

I just did this on my 96. The fresh air servo is under the hood, center of the car near the base of the windshield. To remove it, I first removed the defrost servo to the right (driver side). Then there is room to rotate the fresh air servo out of the bracket after removing the screws that hold it in and popping off the actuator rod.
Old 10-12-2014 | 01:52 PM
nine9six
Banned

Here's a photo reference for you...Just remove the cover for access.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2014 | 02:15 PM
Knight
Drifting

The adjacent footwell servo is fairly easy to remove, I just ran into issues with mine this month and replaced it.

For your reference:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post11350653
Old 10-12-2014 | 09:08 PM
nine9six
Banned

Hmmm, and here I thought we were discussing the Fresh Air Servo...I must be getting old
Old 10-13-2014 | 09:35 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default frankinservot at a frankinservo

If anyone in the US has a used and non-functional servo available I would like to have it for a frankinservo attempt at a repair. If I develop a successful DIY solution I will share it with all.
PM me with your regular email address and a shipping address and I will email you a pre-paid USPS label to send it to me.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 10-16-2014 | 02:23 PM
DBLinSquan
Rennlist Member

I'm the guy who started this thread about how to remove the fresh air servo from a 993. Since I've now done it, here's what I did. Refer to the excellent picture earlier in this thread from nine9six. Remove weather stripping and plastic piece that covers all the servos in the front trunk near the windshield. Detach the actuator rod and electrical connector from the footwell servo, just to the left (driver's side) of the fresh air servo. Using a #20 Torx on a flexible drive shaft, remove the two screws that hold the footwell servo bracket in place. Slide out the footwell servo. Pop of the actuator rod from the fresh air servo and remove the three screws that mount the servo to its bracket. Slide out the servo. (Remember, the motor in my servo was not working, hence I could not rotate the arm, and therefore the need to remove the adjacent servo.) My servo is now on its way to Partisan for a rebuild.
Old 12-13-2018 | 12:33 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

I removed my fresh air servo from my car tonight. When I removed the servo from the rod, I damaged the plastic retainer that attaches to the rod. Is damaging the plastic retainer to be expected when removing the fresh air servo? Thanks.

Old 12-13-2018 | 02:32 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

The metal rod is supposed to be pressed out of the nylon retainer before removing the servo..
PARTisan Autoteile might be able to replace the retainer if you send them the servo.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 12-13-2018 | 02:51 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
The metal rod is supposed to be pressed out of the nylon retainer before removing the servo..
PARTisan Autoteile might be able to replace the retainer if you send them the servo.
Cheers,
Tore
I realize that now. My next headache is that the nylon bushing is an elbow (90*) to follow the angle of the rod. Can the entire rod with a new bushing be installed? What work has to be done to remove the existing rod? (I'm afraid to ask)
Old 12-13-2018 | 03:18 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

I am not sure I understand.
You have to get a new nylon retainer and insert it to the servo arm at the outer arm hole position.
Then, when reinstalling the servo, click the metal rod into the retainer.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 12-13-2018 | 03:53 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

I am not sure I understand.
You have to get a new nylon retainer and insert it to the servo arm at the outer arm hole position.
Then, when reinstalling the servo, click the metal rod into the retainer.
Cheers,
Tore
Thank you. The existing nylon retainer has to be removed in advance of installing a new nylon retainer. Any idea how I can remove the existing nylon bushing without damaging the existing rod and/or whatever the rod attaches to on the other side? (The side that goes into the dash). Not the fresh air servo.
For definition, I'm calling the long rod, not at all connected to the fresh air servo, the rod. The existing bushing must be removed before replacing with a new bushing before the rod can be connected to the fresh air servo. Any idea how to remove the existing bushing from the rod that goes into the dash which is necessary to replace with a new bushing? I hope that you can help. Thank you.

Last edited by Twilightblue28A; 12-13-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2018 | 04:43 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Default No Heat at Highway Speeds '95 993 C4 Cabriolet

I need to be clear because if we are using different definitions, this will be confusing.
I have removed the fresh air servo motor. The servo motor is photographed in the above post. The arm on the base of the server I will call a hoop. When I removed the fresh air servo motor, I damaged the plastic retainer that is attached on the end of the rod, which is inserted into the hoop.
My concern is that I have to install a new nylon retainer on the hook of the rod. Before I can install the new retainer on the hook, I must first remove the damaged plastic retainer from the hook, without damaging the rod that looks like it goes into the dash.
How can I remove the damaged retainer without damaging the rod that appears to go into the dash?
Your help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-13-2018 | 06:10 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Pull it off. That's it.
T
Old 12-13-2018 | 12:25 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Cheers,
Tore
A new retainer is supplied with Partisan's kit. If they rebuild the servo for you I would specify that you would like for them to supply the retainer in case it is not normally supplied with the rebuilt part.

Quick Reply: 993 HVAC Servo Removal