Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Rennsport Reunion V!!

Old 10-14-2014, 02:44 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by il pirata
Most online systems only go out 11 months, so if you try to book October 2015 before November it may appear to be full. Try calling direct.
Thanks Bob. I also called. Most places are blocked-out or absurd prices. Hyatt Carmel Highlands starts at 529 USD a night, Hyatt Monterey is sold out. Just called Abrego and they are asking 399 which is better but still up there. Granted these are beautiful properties but for the time I'm going to spend in room its not worth it. Also traveling with my son and would like a decent place. I'll keep trying.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:51 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good Nite Inn in Salinas (which no one will confuse with anything but a lockable room with bedding and a bathroom is still showing ~$54/nt.

Don't bitch at me because it's: 1. in Salinas, or 2. a dive. Works for me because of what I said in Post #14, above.

(Anyone tried airbnb/similar?)
Old 10-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry, had my fill of the Goodnite Inn last August. For the record, there is a brand new Hampton Inn that opened right next door to them. It opened the weekend I was there, and had prepaid my GN Inn room.

I've stayed at GN 3 times in the last few years, I've now vowed never again. Worse every time. I am especially worried about it now, with Ebola looming in the US. 😄
Old 10-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Sorry, had my fill of the Goodnite Inn last August. For the record, there is a brand new Hampton Inn that opened right next door to them. It opened the weekend I was there, and had prepaid my GN Inn room.

I've stayed at GN 3 times in the last few years, I've now vowed never again. Worse every time. I am especially worried about it now, with Ebola looming in the US. 😄
Since I know nobody else with as much hotel/motel experience as you, can you offer some lodging recommendations, even if they are ones to avoid?

I'd love to attend this event (missed the last ones), but one doesn't need to acquire a rare disorder in the process.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:52 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Since I know nobody else with as much hotel/motel experience as you, can you offer some lodging recommendations, even if they are ones to avoid?

I'd love to attend this event (missed the last ones), but one doesn't need to acquire a rare disorder in the process.
I'm an hour and a half away. You come stay at my place, bring some parts and put them in my car and we'll call it even. :-)
Old 10-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Who, me travel.....? Haha-just a bit. We need to keep you healthy Steve!

Seriously, Salinas isn't a bad location-a nice 20-25 min drive to the track. I'd seriously look at the Hampton-hopefully they aren't in profit mode. There is a Quality Inn in Salinas that is OK too.

There are a few places in Seaside that are usually reasonable too. Santa Cruz and Gilroy are too far, IMO. Monterey and Carmel will be in capitalist mode for now, but maybe as time gets closer.....however, I'd go for bird in hand for now to have a place. The event was very well attended last time, but each time I go, it gets exponentially bigger.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:17 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

I'm about an hour from the track but might try and get a room at the Embassy Suites in Seaside if they are reasonably priced. It is only abut 5 minutes from the track.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Has anyone ever gone the VRBO route? If someone wanted to coordinate, I am sure you could coordinate more than a few Rennlisters and split the cost to something pretty reasonable on a per person basis.

just a suggestion.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Has anyone ever gone the VRBO route? If someone wanted to coordinate, I am sure you could coordinate more than a few Rennlisters and split the cost to something pretty reasonable on a per person basis.

just a suggestion.
Yes - I have a standing reservation (for the Monterey car week each year) at a great house in the Carmel Valley just a couple of miles from the track & just down the road from Baha Cantina. We found it through VRBO & its a great alternative to hotels as you can stock the fridge & cook / drink at the house without having to drive. I've also used airbnb with great success for other events.

I just secured the RSRV 2015 dates for the house in Carmel for a much better price than I pay for the car week! If I end up having a spare room, I'll post it here - though I'm guessing the 3 bedrooms will be spoken for.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika

just a suggestion.
We got the same house we had for Porsche Parade, 4 bedrooms with a 2 car garage big kitchen, living area/dining area/family room around 425 a night which is way cheaper than 4 hotel rooms. Most of the listing agents/owners will not be aware of the event, at least yet. Try Airbnb, VRBO, Homeaway, etc. There are lots of units that are 1 bedroom etc so you do not have to get a big group together. The only caveat is the cancelation policy, some are very reasonable (like 30 days) some are not. Some sites offer travel insurance if you are worried about having to cancel at the last moment.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:17 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When the late Bob Carlson of PCNA was running RSR, he moved it around. Now it seems it will be at Laguna Seca for the foreseeable future, much to the chagrin of those of us from the Sunrise coast. BUT, this year we will have a mega event here - the HSR "Classic 24 Hour" race at Daytona in November 13-16. See: http://www.classic24hour.com/ This is turning into a big Porsche event. For example, there are already NINE 962's registered including one from the Porsche Museum. And, we'll see round-the-clock racing on Saturday & Sunday.

For lodging at RSR V, a house is best if you can get a group together. I've done both at Monterey Week, and it has a LOT of advantages. If you need to stay at a motel, Marina isn't bad. You avoid all the traffic coming in on Route 68 or South Boundary Rd. by coming via 617 & then one of the back roads. It brings you in right near the Pit Straight with NO traffic.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Who, me travel.....? Haha-just a bit. We need to keep you healthy Steve!
"Just a bit", indeed. My wife shares your sentiments.

Seriously, Salinas isn't a bad location-a nice 20-25 min drive to the track. I'd seriously look at the Hampton-hopefully they aren't in profit mode. There is a Quality Inn in Salinas that is OK too.

There are a few places in Seaside that are usually reasonable too. Santa Cruz and Gilroy are too far, IMO. Monterey and Carmel will be in capitalist mode for now, but maybe as time gets closer.....however, I'd go for bird in hand for now to have a place. The event was very well attended last time, but each time I go, it gets exponentially bigger.
Thank you, Mister Hughes. I shall check those places out tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I just got the green light to find a room. I'm Hilton diamond until the end of the year (nothing to be proud of). Fingers crossed all those nights away from home in 2013 finally get me something of value. Never done something like this, but looks like a blast.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just FYI ... Salinas saw the deadliest year in the city's history, 29 murders, all gang- related.
That put Salinas at four times the national average for homicides per capita.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:11 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Just FYI ... Salinas saw the deadliest year in the city's history, 29 murders, all gang- related.
That put Salinas at four times the national average for homicides per capita.
Yep, we're at our 12th murder this year and we only have about 90k people here. Salinas is pretty ghetto also. There's some nice areas, but I know some officers that worked there, and it's pretty much a sewer. Be careful and expect theft if you leave an opp. for someone. DO NOT leave anything of value in your room.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rennsport Reunion V!!