Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing Windshield Glass

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003 | 12:42 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Default Polishing Windshield Glass

There was a reference to glass polishing in the current Pano, so I thought I’d check it out. Take a look at these glass polishing kits (plus all the other cool stuff on the site):

http://www.eastwoodco.com/email/defa...lass,polishing

They look pretty decent, and cheap enough to try. I’m thinking mostly of windshield pits. It probably wouldn’t get rid of the deep ones, but it might help with the small ones. I’d be worried that it would cause optical distortion. After polishing, the two sides of the windshield wouldn’t be parallel to each other, and there would be a “lens” effect.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Did they get good results? Anybody brave enough to try it on their car?

Tom
’95 993
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:46 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try it. Maybe...

Tom
'95 993
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:51 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Don't waste your money.

"WARNING: This System Removes Glass. Keep Glass Wet With Water and Spinning Abrasives Moving Across Entire Surface to Avoid Heat Build-Up and Optical Distortion."

Translation: There's no way you'll remove windshield pits w/o causing optical distortion & possible damage to the laminate.
Old 08-14-2003 | 12:56 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

My Dad has told me that, long before Glass Plus or Windex had been invented, people used to wad up a couple of pieces of newspaper and use that to clean the glass on their cars. Evidently, the newsprint applied to the paper has a (very moderately) abrasive effect, kind of like a pumice.

I've done this to my own car and, while it won't rise to the level of clearing scratches, it really does seem to brighten the glass. You can really "lean" on it and, because the print doesn't last very long, it's helpful to turn your ball of newspaper or to swap it out frequently.

Regards to all.
Old 08-14-2003 | 02:01 PM
cmoss

I'd be happy just to get rid of those damn water spots!
Old 08-14-2003 | 02:26 PM
tchanson
Racer

Originally posted by cmoss
I'd agree that the Eastwood kit looks a little drastic, and I'd also be a somewhat skeptical about how much actual pitting, if any, could be removed.

For occasional water spots on glass, though, I've found that Griots Fine Glass Polish works pretty well.

Tim
Old 08-14-2003 | 04:35 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have and have used the Eastwood glass kit on my 993's windshield. The results weren't that great, but I think it was more because I don't have an angle grinder to mount the polishing wheel in. I used my cordless drill instead. This put me at an awkward angle trying to hold the drill perpendicular to the surface of the glass and apply pressure to do the polishing.

No distortion that I can see, but there are some slight swirl marks in the glass. I figure those wouldn't still be there if I'd had the right tool to apply with.

YMMV.

-Chris
Old 08-14-2003 | 04:37 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by cmoss
Haven't tried the Griot's polish, but Stoner Invisible Glass works great for cleaning the windows in general. (And as a Targa owner, I appreciate a good glass cleaner! )

Of course, no affiliation, etc. with Stoner.

-Chris
Old 08-14-2003 | 07:13 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I heard someone has tried Zaino on their windshield w. good effect.
Old 08-14-2003 | 09:00 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone. That's pretty much what I thought. I think I'll pass...

Tom
'95 993
Old 08-15-2003 | 09:29 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used Blue Magic on a scratch, and minor pits on my side window and with manual rubbing and multiple applications it removed all the marks.

IMO if the windshield is really pitted, or scratched, for safety, I would just replace the windshield. It is amazing how much better the visibility is new windshield.
Old 08-15-2003 | 10:05 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can second the newspaper trick - I do it everytime and get funny looks from my neighbour. Also use it on glass shelves and tables too.
Nice to teach the wife a thing or two about cleaning...
Old 08-15-2003 | 11:18 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay guys. I'm going to give away a family secret. Buy a can of Bon Ami for about 69 cents. It is available in most supermarkets. It is a non abrasive cleanser. Wash your car, sprinkle some bon ami on the windshield and rub in a circular, overlapping motion with either paper towels or a damp sponge. It cleans off all of the road grime and oils that build up on the glass without damaging the glass in any way. Hose it off thoroughly. Gets the watermarks and cleans up some of the minor marks in the glass. I've used newspaper for years to clean car windows and home mirrors. I don't know about the newsprint effect, but it leaves no dust like some paper towels.

Got this tip from Bosch years (1984) ago. Called them to complain that their wiper blades and refills weren't doing the trick on the curved windshield of my SAAB 900Turbo. They explained to me that there is a buildup caused by exhaust gasses, oils from the road surface, etc.

Quick Reply: Polishing Windshield Glass