Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairs for sand blasted windshield ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 01:35 PM
john.rogers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Repairs for sand blasted windshield ??

Any suggestions for 'fixing'a windshield that is lightly sand blasted? Not really noticable until you are driving into the Sun then you can see all these very little chip marks all over the windshield. Is there a clear "sealer" that could be applied to fill in the chips? Perhaps an acrylic or a wax? Not really bad enough to consider replacing the windshield.Just a severe annoyance !

Thanks,
John
Old 06-20-2001, 02:24 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Sorry, John - I have suffered from this a lot here in the Pittsburgh area.

From discussions with body shops, they can't really be sanded/polished out. Only option is a new windshield to my knowledge.
Old 06-20-2001, 02:32 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John, if it's not a huge problem for you to replace your winshield, you should consider it. My sister was in a bad accident caused by glare from a similar situation. We'd all hate to lose you; just be careful and use your good judgement.

Regards,
Dave
Old 06-20-2001, 03:00 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking

Suggest you change the windshiels, and then add an acrylic covering that is available. Laura from Hergesheimer's Motorsports in Lake Forest, CA may be selling this product.

Laura also has a covering for your head lights..I have one of these on order from Laura. She may also have a connection for 993 glass for you.

993 glass appears to readily pit. I have a similar problem, although I can live with it for a while.
Old 06-20-2001, 03:54 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The reason for this is because all European glass is soft. This is purposely done to avoid cracks. If you want to reduce the pitting chances, consider going for an aftermarket windshield made in the USA.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:27 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Couple more bits of info. Both J. C. Whitney and Eastwood Company sell a "glass polishing kit". The Whitney advertising sez "Removes haze, scratches, etc." Well, it doesn't remove pitting - I tried it on old Porsche and Audi! For info, it is a jar of cerium oxide with a buffing wheel.

The Eastwood Company product looks a little higher grade and serves the same purpose (similar price to Whitney, too). However, they're honest on the application - it's designed to remove wiper haze. They explicitly state "Try this simple test - run your fingernail over the damaged area. If your fingernail does not get caught then your windshield can be renewed."

By the way, Eastwood Company has a large line of auto restoration and repair products. They were regular advertisers on "My Classic Car" when it was on The Redneck Channel (TNN)
Go to www.eastwoodcompany.com
Old 06-21-2001, 01:56 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ray,

None of the products you mention will remove pitting on the windshield. The best one is sold by Griot's Gargage and all it does is remove stubborm stains such as hard water.

Quick Reply: Repairs for sand blasted windshield ??