993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Targa value + - =?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
Your neck of the woods is the frozen tundra of Montreal, that would make sense that Cabs command a lower price than Coupes, lol. But you raise another good point that affects pricing, regional preferences based on weather.
100% correct. Regional preference is a significant factor.

I'd assume in CA where we have a mild climate for most of the year, Cabs will have a higher value than otther areas around the country.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to update this thread....

I purchased the car today and pickup this weekend.

Once again, I appreciate all of the replies, data points, PMs...it was very helpful.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:28 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 487 Posts

Ill add fuel to this fire I guess.... This one is local to me, no affiliation.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4663210189.html

50k For a 1996 targa with 29k miles.....
Old 03-05-2018, 03:33 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony.CO
Just wanted to update this thread....

I purchased the car today and pickup this weekend.

Once again, I appreciate all of the replies, data points, PMs...it was very helpful.
So Tony, Are you as pleased with it as I was for 5 year with mine? I sold it 2 weeks ago and have missed it ever since. Our motivation to sell was brought on by our age and our plan to drive to Parade this summer. The 991 we bought has a softer ride, I didn't DE the Targa, and as you see from my new Avatar, the replacement looks much like my Targa. In those 5 years I only added 11,000 miles to it and won my share of awards at shows. Now, it is in the hands of a Porsche collector who knows what he bought. The PPI he had done resulted in two minor problems the L/R mirror switch and the occasional LCD drop out that has been easily cured by a "knuckle rap" since I bought the car. The shop that did the PPI said they had never seen a Porsche that old that was so good.

BTW, I researched 993 Targa prices and they have been as high as $97k for a European sale at an RM auction.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:45 PM
maxbhp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just saw this thread revived. I've had a targa for a few years and love it....mine has been great with no issues with the roof, spoiler, or sunshade. However, I recently picked up what I really wanted but could not find at my pricepoint back then which is a 993 C2s (can't resist those hips).
The driving experience is almost identical however I do miss being able to open the top sometimes when in the C2s.
I'm planning to sell my targa now because no need for two 993's.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:21 AM
euge
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I was specifically searching for one. And i got one. I LOVE it! Best thing ever. Roof issues are over blown. I've fixed all my roof troubles and now it is smooth as butter and super quiet. I recovered interior panels around the roof in real leather and got the new car smell back. This thing is awesome! My Targa came with turbo tail and i put the basket handle back. It is pristine now. (Disclosure, i drive 996TT on the daily basis).
Old 03-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by euge
I was specifically searching for one. And i got one. I LOVE it! Best thing ever. Roof issues are over blown. I've fixed all my roof troubles and now it is smooth as butter and super quiet. I recovered interior panels around the roof in real leather and got the new car smell back. This thing is awesome! My Targa came with turbo tail and i put the basket handle back. It is pristine now. (Disclosure, i drive 996TT on the daily basis).
I am glad you got a solid one ... I don't think that people would argue that the Targa is a very neat experience driving, and when the roof works, its very cool. However, having owned one for 11 years, and having gone through hell because of the roof (complete roof replacement from Porsche after much arguing and legal positioning - the threads are around somewhere, and then issues afterwards), as well as adjusting and fixing others locally and remotely, they can sting pretty hard if they go wrong. What I have been seeing lately is some corrosion issues, the roof itself is not galvanized, and is prone to picking up corrosion especially at the front seals, between the top and the windshield cowl, where the water tends to soak and sit. There is a few very thin tabs that are first to go. The sign of issues there is seeing red oxide on the door seal just where the forward roof seal joins in. If the car has been in drier climes than it should be good though.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 993 Targa value + - =?