Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Targa value + - =?

Old 08-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 Targa value + - =?

There is a local seller who has a superb 100% original 993 Targa with fairly low miles. We are having the conversation on the value (disclosure: I'm considering buying). Issue is trying to find similar comps on cars is not easy on the Targa.

I'm versed in the cab vs coupe comparison and delta $$ wise. But I've never seen a Targa in person, didn't even consider one until now.

If any Targa owners can PM me, as not to start another drawn out pricing thread, please do.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 04:44 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PM-ed
Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say pricing is between cab and coupe prices.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Tony, just buy my RUF. It is the only car that will make you happy...
Old 08-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! ^^^^ there is so much truth in that.

Never before, nor after, have I experience so much thrill than riding in that car. Fav color/car combo ever!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacey
I agree.

However as you know condition and maintenance history seem to be more important factors. Personally I like the lines and open top benefits of the Targa, so I wouldn't hesitate to pay close to coupe pricing if it meets my checkboxes.

You might want to do some researching on the roof. Some seem to have no real issues, while others not so much the case.

Last edited by Knight; 08-26-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

I was going to say the same thing.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not according to the new Porsche Buyer's Guide by Excellence magazine.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...and you and the others that agreed with you would be wrong.

Not to hijack the thread, and we've been over this about a million times, but there really isn't evidence to suggest that Cabs sell for less than Coupes and Targas and/or that Targas sell more for more than Cabs and less than Coupes. There are different buyers for the various models, but the same factors that affect price apply to all models - condition, service history, mileage etc. I've seen Coupes priced way less than Cabs not because of model, but because of those factors. I've seen the reverse as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

The would-be authoritative "Porsche Buyer's Guide" predicted a decline in 993 prices for a very long time and continued to do so long after 993 prices started to rise.

A narrow complaint is that the guide has never adequately addressed grey market SCs or Carreras, even though there are an interesting number of them around (you won't find mention of a Carrera 3.0, for example, which is a shame because those are awesome cars).

I look at that publication as containing useful ownership experience info. eBay, Pelican, Pano, Autoweek, or here are better sources of useful pricing information, IMO.

As with any used car overall condition, maintenance history, options list, motivations and means of buyers and sellers, and the overall market are way bigger factors in determining the final price in any random transaction.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:39 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

The issues with Targas is that are usually bought by people not very familiar with 993s. This is my strong opinion. We can discuss it, but i don't see anyone saying "I'm looking, specifically, for a Targa" or "this is the best of both worlds".

Targas are absolutely fine, they have their issues with roof mechanism, but cabs have their issues too. It's just that Targa seem like a bit of an afterthought for most people looking for 993s, specifically. And a source of worry for those who know 993s well. Based on that, I think that 993 Targa pricing would be below both cabs and Coupes.

I might be an outlier, though. For me, cab is worth much more than a coupe and that's why I've owned two 993 cabs and have no interest in coupes. For many, many others it's completely opposite.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
The issues with Targas is that are usually bought by people not very familiar with 993s. This is my strong opinion. We can discuss it, but i don't see anyone saying "I'm looking, specifically, for a Targa" or "this is the best of both worlds".

Targas are absolutely fine, they have their issues with roof mechanism, but cabs have their issues too. It's just that Targa seem like a bit of an afterthought for most people looking for 993s, specifically. And a source of worry for those who know 993s well. Based on that, I think that 993 Targa pricing would be below both cabs and Coupes.

I might be an outlier, though. For me, cab is worth much more than a coupe and that's why I've owned two 993 cabs and have no interest in coupes. For many, many others it's completely opposite.
A very reasoned answer. I'm biased towards Cabs as well. I've always preferred convertibles over the years. I enjoy top-down motoring every chance I get almost year round.

BTW, I put the emoticon in my previous response because I know how much the folks on this site just love their Excellence Buyer's Guides over the years.

Also, don't coupes have issues with their sunroofs?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

The issues with Targas is that are usually bought by people not very familiar with 993s.
Your view is spot on in my case and so far enjoying ownership immensely.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Way back in 1998, after selling my Carrera 3.0 targa (#55 of around 650 total), I very specifically went shopping for a 993 targa. I spent a lot of time learning about both the 964 and the 993 series before starting the search, adding to what I thought was a useful body of knowledge on the SC and the C2/C4.

I searched for about 6 months before finding the car I wanted (actually, not really the car I wanted, I most wanted Adventurine Green / Black 6-speed, but I don't think any were made!). Since then I've been pretty happy with what I bought and don't think I'd replace it with a 993 coupe or cab for approximately equivalent money, all things considered. Cayman S or 997-2 maybe... but I haven't driven either one (deliberately).

What I might agree with is that some folks who buy a 993 end up with a targa without fully understanding what they might be getting into with the unique features of the car (roof & wheels, specifically), but that's somewhat different than lacking any understanding of type 993.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I think one of the issues is that 993 Targa is very, very different from previous Targas in its roof mechanism. So may old Targa owners did not view the 993 Targa as a replacement. With some exceptions, of course.

But, again, this was back when 993 was a current model vs. now, so I think the situation is a bit different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 Targa value + - =?