Andial LWF + RS clutch+ G50/21 WWWOOOOOOWWWWW

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 10:10 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Talking Andial LWF + RS clutch+ G50/21 WWWOOOOOOWWWWW

So the group buy is going well and what I'm about to write may start another one ( Phil are you listening?) but I have to say one thing:

All of you guys that look for chips, more HP etc stop looking and start saving your pennies to install a G50/21 box, an Andial midweight flywheel with the RS clutch plate! All I can say is that the combo blew my mind today!!!

My 993 cabrio(the queen) as some of you know had already the G50/21 box transplanted. Since I came back to the homeland last week my clutch was behaving a bit strange. I knew that 4K miles ago I had replaced the slave cylinder but upon further investigation my mechanic proclaimed the pressure plate "toast" Probably the previous owner liked burnouts or something... So my mechanic said...why dont you put an RS clutch in? I said no thank you...too much money right now, I'm fixing to buy a house...blah blah plus that I would need a chip to keep my 95 engine from stalling etc...

He said something that some of our old guru's here have proclaimed about the midweight Andial RS flywheel oh and he just happened to have one there I said what is the engine stalls, this is my queen the city car , I have a race car for my kicks and I do not need this hassle on the streets, blah blah...
He said...listen to me...I said yes daddy...and I droped my car on Saturday picked up the blue trackmeister for the weekend ( with a bad back...Looney bin). It was nice to drive the race car for the weekend...yeah right...with its pagid oranges squeeling at every oportunity...LOL
Today I went to pick up my car and he was all smiles... I said what you won the lotto or something? You never smile! He said just drive the damn thing...
I went off his garage, its located on a highway with 70mph speed limit...at first warm up the car..hmmm where is the difference? 4 miles down the needle starts moving , yeah its warming up... I make a u turn and do the route in reverse. I shift 1st to 2nd slowly and I floor it! WOW...shift to 3rd in a flash...Golly...this thing pulls like mad!!! upshift to 4th the pull continues I feel I'm driving a Viper!!! before I know it I'm at speeds that my local Texas statetroopers would not take kindly...I brake...hold my breath,..downshift to 3rd and do it all over again
Simply unbilievable...I return to my mechanics garage and now I have the same stupid grin on my face he had when I saw him...

There is sooo much difference between my coupe and the cabrio which is unbilievable...The package has simply transformed my cabrio to a rocket which the "race car" does not hold a candle to!!!

So save your pennies...

Oh...about the stalling issue? What stalling???
Old 08-11-2003, 11:16 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Thanks for the story. I'm a bit surprised by the amount of difference you seem to have experienced, but it's always nice to hear a success story

It would be interesting to compare the weights of the following:

Standard clutch v RS clutch

Standard FW v. Andial FW v. RS FW

Do you know how much weight you saved in total?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Danny

You are the devil

Yet another thing to do to the Funhawg, eventually.

Enjoy the car and welcome home.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:55 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny, I know Mike always loves it when you drop a car off at the shop.

I'm having dreams about the Supercup gearbox in my car. ;-)
Old 08-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Matt:

The gearbox you'd like would be the same setup that Kim has in "yellow Zonker",....

Between that and the RS LWF, its a whole different car.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:53 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Danny:

Ain't it coool !!!

I too have the Andial "mid-weight" and the G50/21-02. Like you say, it transformed the car.

Gotta love that Techart 340 too. I gotta thank you every time I drive that wheel.

Peace bro.

PS-Thanks for working on the RS engine mount thing !!! ;^)
Old 08-12-2003, 12:58 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Hey Danny,

Sounds like an interesting mod, can I ask what the whole kit and caboodle cost ya?

B
Old 08-12-2003, 01:18 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I am currently working on getting bids to have G50-21 ratios made in England. Tom from Half Moon Bay was kind enough to loan me a few ratio 'samples' to show Hewland Engineering so they could give me an idea to what these ratios would cost. I have a feeling Gert could offer a better deal, but I will wait and see.

I brought the ratios with me to Mid-Ohio this past weekend while I was there for work. My Hewland contact was supposed to be there, but didnt show as I find out later that he didnt know about CART changing the Mid-Ohio race date to a week earlier. I will see him maybe in Montreal in two weeks.

I will keep you all posted. My goal was to get gears made for considerably less money and make this upgrade (read: transformation) more affordable to all.

I could install the ratios for those who wish to send their gearbox's to me. I dont have the overhead of a shop to support, so I was hoping to be able help others out in that area as well.

Things dont always go as planned, but I am still trying to work this out.

I'm jealous Danny! Good Job!
Old 08-12-2003, 01:21 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Matt Vaughan
Danny, I know Mike always loves it when you drop a car off at the shop.

I'm having dreams about the Supercup gearbox in my car. ;-)
You gotta get it Matt! You know you need it

Jim, thanks man, glad I was able to help!

to our Big Turttle you have paid I think too much attention to the appliance and the funhawg needs some TLC!

Graham I do not have that figure, my mechanic said that the flywheel is really an RS flywheel with very little weight added to keep the rpm's diving so fast as to stall the engine. True enough although the revs dip noticably faster there is not stalling at all. On a 95 this is an issue and I'm really glad I listened to my mechanic ( as if I had a choise really!) Maybe Steve can answer this question...

B-Line here is the breakdown:

g50/21 : $3500
Motorsports LSD: $1500 (optional)
Andial LWF+RS clutch $1700
Labor...I do not want to even think about it!LOL...

If you do them all at once, it hurts, as needed is not that bad. Selling the stock gearbox will save money, doing the LWF when needed it makes more sence as you would have to cough up muhla anyway for a stock clutch...

Never the less the package is dynamo and IMO as it should have been delivered by the factory... Sweet, very sweet.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:42 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hehe very cool Danny.

Luckily I'm having an extremely Lightweight Tilton Carbon/Carbon clutch and thier flywheel installed this month. So I'm partially there.

Next up is getting the rest of the system going so I can finally make use of these two Garret T28s that are sitting in my room.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Danny,

Stop making posts like this! Damn that sounds "bad"...

Chris,

That sounds interesting. Let me know more details once you have them, thanks.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:36 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to hear more on the Tilton and the Hewland things - please keep us updated !!

Cheers, Maurice
Old 08-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Graham asked about the FW weights. I believe the stock dual mass FW is either 32 or 34 lbs. The RS LWF is 19 lbs. Andial adds a 7 lb weight to the RS for their "mid-weight" version (thus, 26 lbs). The machine it to match and will not simply sell the additional weight that gets bolted to the RS LWF.

The RS-LWF and shorter gearing yields a car that accelerates quicker and pulls harder than stock. Just watching at an autocross has people commenting on the difference.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tom W
The RS-LWF and shorter gearing yields a car that accelerates quicker and pulls harder than stock. Just watching at an autocross has people commenting on the difference.
I'm sure they are surprised at the track too. I bet you'd even pass a few TT's on the track with that setup..
Old 08-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

I'm also interested in the revised gears if a group buy is in the planning.

Quick Reply: Andial LWF + RS clutch+ G50/21 WWWOOOOOOWWWWW