993 Forum 1995-1998

Elephant Racing's X-Brace(993)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elephant Racing's X-Brace(993)

If you are in the market for a strut tower brace for your 933, I would highly recommend checking out Elephant Racing's X-Brace. After the install, I felt an immediate difference with the front end, especially under hard breaking and cornering. The front end feels much more ridged and predictable, I wanted to make sure that it was not all in my head, so I removed the brace and took my usually driving route and there is defiantly a difference. If you are worried about losing the frunk, the kit has quick disconnect pins on all the ends, which allow for quick removal. Installation only took about 30 minutes.
Attached Images    
Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn... Wish I would've seen this 3 weeks ago. I really like that and I've been looking for an X-brace setup.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:00 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Interesting! Can you show photos of the mounting point in the front? I don't remember seeing any attachment points there.

Did you have a strut tower brace before fitting this cross brace? I'd be interested in hearing how the cross brace compares to a tower brace as far as added rigidity. Cross braces were almost mandatory in earlier 911s (technically 3-point braces) but the 964/993 platform is stiffer. I see this set up a bit of an overkill for a street-driven 993 but it's good to know manufacturers are still supporting this platform with new products!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:03 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Chuck Moreland makes some tasty effective bits for these P-cars!

If someone could come up with a canvas or mesh kit to install onto the x-bars so you would effectively have four frunk pockets; that would be kinda useful too.

Front attach point brackets look like they could either be welded or bolted in place.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Interesting! Can you show photos of the mounting point in the front? I don't remember seeing any attachment points there.

Did you have a strut tower brace before fitting this cross brace? I'd be interested in hearing how the cross brace compares to a tower brace as far as added rigidity. Cross braces were almost mandatory in earlier 911s (technically 3-point braces) but the 964/993 platform is stiffer. I see this set up a bit of an overkill for a street-driven 993 but it's good to know manufacturers are still supporting this platform with new products!
I went for a drive on two separate occasions, one without the brace, and one with the strut tower brace/xbrace. There was a big difference between the two. I haven't tried doing just the strut tower brace yet, I'll take the x brace off and do my usual driving route on my way home and will report back if there is a difference.

Here is a picture of the x-braces front mounting points
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2014, 07:48 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
Chuck Moreland makes some tasty effective bits for these P-cars!

If someone could come up with a canvas or mesh kit to install onto the x-bars so you would effectively have four frunk pockets; that would be kinda useful too.

Front attach point brackets look like they could either be welded or bolted in place.
Chuck is a great guy, very knowledgeable. Elephant Racing actually used my car to test fit their x-brace before putting it into production. The idea on the mesh kit would be a great idea!

Last edited by Jwolf427; 08-14-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:21 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

is that front mounting point bracket held in with just sheet metal screws or did you use nutserts?
nice looking product.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

and it looks like the front piece can be easily removed if you need the frunk space.

Like Ilko, I wonder how much difference the X piece adds compared to just the cross bar.
It looks like X can be added later on.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:44 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm already thinking I could fab this up for some savings
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I've heard that running a strut bar is pointless if you retain the OEM rubber top mounts, since the mounts deflect and absorb forces before they are transferred to the car's unibody. Gotta run monoball top mounts to gain the benefit from the strut bar.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not true. It is all about geometry and relationship to cowl and how stiff all points are. My S2000 showed no difference due to stiff towers and cowl (ragtop) 993 however, noticeable difference even on the street.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
I've heard that running a strut bar is pointless if you retain the OEM rubber top mounts, since the mounts deflect and absorb forces before they are transferred to the car's unibody. Gotta run monoball top mounts to gain the benefit from the strut bar.
By this logic there should be no difference between coupe and cab. These cross bars stiffen the boby. Drive over parking lot ramp or steep driveway diagonally and you will hear the car twisting.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k722070
is that front mounting point bracket held in with just sheet metal screws or did you use nutserts?
nice looking product.
The front of the X-Brace are held on by 4 sheet metal screws, 2 on each end of the X-Brace.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

I can assure you that this brace makes a huge difference even without running a mono-ball setup. Like NYC993 said, when exiting a steep driveway, you can feel/hear the frame twisting without the front brace. You can still feel/hear the frame twisting with the brace installed, but it is reduced significantly.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:08 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I strongly disagree...As you add the ridgidity of this cross brace, you are effectively reducing potential flex in the front of the vehicle.
Would monoballs further reduce front suspension flex? Yes, would be the short answer. Logic would dictate that each component would contribute to reduce flex in the front end.

Chuck is a great guy, very knowledgeable. Elephant Racing actually used my car to test fit their x-brace before putting it into production. The idea on the mesh kit would be a great idea!
I concur...I met Chuck in 06, at the Parts Heaven Swap Meet and Concours event. He is a class act, who gave freely of his knowledge and experience without trying to sell his products.

Last edited by nine9six; 08-16-2014 at 02:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Elephant Racing's X-Brace(993)