Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:17 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Then you've made the right choice for you.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Not for me...

See one in your rear view mirror, you may ask yourself, check out those head lamps, is it a fat Boxster, or? If you want rocket ship performance, the 400 HP will turn your head…

On the track, they eat brakes. Dem cars is heavy! My pal's 996 Turbo suffers from a severe lack of cooling air to the brakes in the stock configuration, no serious ducting to speak of. He has pretty much fried his front calipers. They eat tires too, an added expense as Turbo tires tend to cost more than 993 tires.

The all wheel drive also tends to mask driver error. It is probably a little tougher to drive a N/A 993 well. Some say, just remove the front wheel drive, easily done and lose 150 Lbs. in the process. Then you have a GT2 configuration…GT2 cars can be a handful, the genuine GT2 cars are often referred to as the "widow makers".

Is this "sour grapes"? Not really…I have had quite a few opportunities to buy a lower mileage 996 Turbo…just could not part with Baby, after all these years…from December 1999 to now….14 years and 65,000 miles together…and the car has been extremely reliable.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:16 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I laugh when I read these threads (and they repeat every few weeks...) because the comparisons are always between a naturally aspirated car vs a turbocharged car - and often the much less powered car is the preferred choice.

Ok, if this was a non-turbo 996 vs a non-turbo 993 comparison, then I think the discussion goes quite different. The downsides of grenading engines, slab side styling and ugly headlights more than offset any of the positive features of the non-turbo 996. There are virtually NO discussions about trading a 993 for a 996, its always trading a 993 for 996TT.

So really the differential is strictly around power and reliability. There are very few discussion to move just because of looks, or handling, ergometrics - it always seems to come down to the power being the key enablers. If the other factors were important, the 996 non-turbo would not be valued cheaper than used Honda.

From a power spectrum, we have:

- Stock 993 - adequate power but have to work the engine to get speed
- Upgraded 993 -very expensive for medium increases in power
- 993TT - quite a bit of power, but priced out of reach of many 993 owners
- 996 - more power than the stock 993, but negatives outweigh any advances in design or technology
- 996TT - more power than a 993TT for almost the same money as a 993, reliable power outweighs the looks
- 997 - more power than the 996 with more 993 styling cues - which means the jump from a 993 to 997's is much more likely than to a 996, and may in fact match the jumps to the 996TT.
- 997TT - again, out of reach of most 993 owners due to cost

Now that was a bit long-winded ..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Boober
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by race911
They were. Care to join me in an analysis of a torsion bar chassis v. a 964? Or a 993 v. 996? Not much overlap. 964 --> 993? Refinement, and that's all.

Getting a bit tired of the secret handshakeness of the whole 993 thing. Or the air cooled thing if we're going to go all in. Where was everyone in '92, when the company was about ready to go down the tubes? Or even a decade before that when the 911 was due to be killed off.
Apologies, I am on vacation and was using my phone to reply. No opportunity for me to insert some "tongue-in-cheek" smilies.

On paper, no arguments there, but history has relegated the 993 as the pinnacle of aircooled 911 development; whether richly deserved or not.

I was graduating high school in 92' so I obviously couldn't "join the party" then. Nostalgia is a powerful sales tool; it tends to gloss over shortcomings with a delicious glaze of warm adolescent memories.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:10 PM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I laugh when I read these threads (and they repeat every few weeks...) because the comparisons are always between a naturally aspirated car vs a turbocharged car - and often the much less powered car is the preferred choice. Ok, if this was a non-turbo 996 vs a non-turbo 993 comparison, then I think the discussion goes quite different.
The comparison is between two cars of equal dollar value... Not of performance. I think that's why people compare them. No one compares a 993 to a 996.1 because it's half the price. I'm sure when they were the same price people had the same debates.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 5ive0
The comparison is between two cars of equal dollar value... Not of performance. I think that's why people compare them. No one compares a 993 to a 996.1 because it's half the price. I'm sure when they were the same price people had the same debates.
Don't quite agree - because the two cars are now similar in price (note that the 996TT is a bit more than your average NB 993 usually), the temptation to switch is based primarily on the increase of power you get (not the only reason though, but its the biggie).

That is why they are compared - the argument "look, I can get 200 more HP for virtually the same money" is why this comparison keeps coming up and up. Even when the 996 was depreciated to the same price as the 993's, there were not a lot of people jumping - and I was there at that time - because of the styling and IMS issues which were then starting to, pardon the pun, explode, without that quantum leap in power to offset the pain.

IMHO, the temptation to jump is, again primarily but not exclusively, driven by the relatively cheap in porsche terms increase in performance.

I think we are talking the same thing from different angles, but I also think we do not agree on the primary driver. The prices being close to equal is the enabler, but the driver for the decision to move is power.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-14-2014, 01:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Mike, I think that the decision is based on power if it's not a daily driver. If it is, the decision could very well be based on a more modern car's merits - interior, A/C, possibly safety. Or it could be based on the old adage "buy the newest Porsche you can afford", than the primary consideration shifts back to the price (though in this case it should be a normally aspirated 997).

I daily drive a 993 and am not interested in power at all, quite honestly. Nor am I interested in a 996s. But than again, I'm a fossil. Wait, wait. Most of us here are fossils

BTW, the value discussion might also constitute itself as: "Should I buy a 993 or a 996.1 plus a $20K daily driver?" or "Should I buy a 993 plus a daily 996.1 and a race Miata?". So i would not throw the pricing/value out of the equation.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree there are other factors for sure, but I think it's primarily about the increase in performance - otherwise it would be a non-brainer to switch to a stock 996's - its got all more modern conveniences and it's 1/2 the price! Why does not never happen? - it does not have the performance increase to override why we do not migrate to the $15,000 996.

There may be a factor around reliability given the only car in the 996 lineup with a bullet proof engine is the 996TT.

And yes, I am a fossil too - although that 2010 GT3 that I can move to without too much pain from my Turbo is sure tempting ....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-14-2014, 01:54 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I laugh when I read these threads (and they repeat every few weeks...) because the comparisons are always between a naturally aspirated car vs a turbocharged car - and often the much less powered car is the preferred choice.

Ok, if this was a non-turbo 996 vs a non-turbo 993 comparison, then I think the discussion goes quite different. The downsides of grenading engines, slab side styling and ugly headlights more than offset any of the positive features of the non-turbo 996. There are virtually NO discussions about trading a 993 for a 996, its always trading a 993 for 996TT.

So really the differential is strictly around power and reliability. There are very few discussion to move just because of looks, or handling, ergometrics - it always seems to come down to the power being the key enablers. If the other factors were important, the 996 non-turbo would not be valued cheaper than used Honda.

From a power spectrum, we have:

- Stock 993 - adequate power but have to work the engine to get speed
- Upgraded 993 -very expensive for medium increases in power
- 993TT - quite a bit of power, but priced out of reach of many 993 owners
- 996 - more power than the stock 993, but negatives outweigh any advances in design or technology
- 996TT - more power than a 993TT for almost the same money as a 993, reliable power outweighs the looks
- 997 - more power than the 996 with more 993 styling cues - which means the jump from a 993 to 997's is much more likely than to a 996, and may in fact match the jumps to the 996TT.
- 997TT - again, out of reach of most 993 owners due to cost

Now that was a bit long-winded ..

Cheers,

Mike
For me, the 996 or 996TT will NEVER be a choice. I just can't stand the looks, but for the MY02 wheels. If I can't stand the looks, then the power is a non issue for me. The 996 or 996TT can have 750 HP, but I'm not buying it.

My apologies to all 996 and 996TT owners.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:57 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Don't quite agree - because the two cars are now similar in price (note that the 996TT is a bit more than your average NB 993 usually), the temptation to switch is based primarily on the increase of power you get (not the only reason though, but its the biggie).
I know of two recent 996tt that sold with less than 25k miles and completely stock for under $40k. And I have seen many 60k mile 996tt's for sale for well under $35k. It would be very hard to find a comparable, stock NB 993 with the same miles for the same price in the current market. I would guess a clean NB 993 with under 25k miles would easily be priced in the upper $50k's.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Just awoke from a nice little AM nap...

I know, you are slaving away, and I am napping. Just "pay your dues", slave away for 35 years and you can nap too!

Here is the solution to your dilemma. Have your transmission rebuilt to a close ratio box. I did it, spent somewhere between $8,500 and $9,000…worth every dollar.

The first time I went through the gears, especially 2nd to 3rd….awesome, feels like a turbo.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree there are other factors for sure, but I think it's primarily about the increase in performance - otherwise it would be a non-brainer to switch to a stock 996's - its got all more modern conveniences and it's 1/2 the price! Why does not never happen? - it does not have the performance increase to override why we do not migrate to the $15,000 996.
I agree Mike! Honestly to plenty of people, 400+ HP out of the factory, supercar performance, it's obvious this is driving force behind these discussions to change.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I know, you are slaving away, and I am napping. Just "pay your dues", slave away for 35 years and you can nap too!

Here is the solution to your dilemma. Have your transmission rebuilt to a close ratio box. I did it, spent somewhere between $8,500 and $9,000…worth every dollar.

The first time I went through the gears, especially 2nd to 3rd….awesome, feels like a turbo.
My gear box does need a rebuild as my car has 150,xxx miles. I swapped cars with my uncle for a day(2003 996TT X50) and the only thing that "I" enjoyed was putting the pedal down and feeling the surge of power, but that was it. I may start looking for a shop to do my transmission build. Any shops in the Bay Area that you guys would recommend me taking my car to for a transmission rebuild?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Hmm - you have driven a TT, right?

You get a bonus with the 993TT - the gearbox ratios are closer to eurospec than the NA 993's, and with 400+HP and lots of bottom end, I find it pretty well perfect. When I bought mine at the astronomical price of $64K CDN, i rationalized $8K away because I did not need to regear the box.

I have driven regeared 993's, they are better but I found it was not a quantum jump in performance that seems to be always mentioned. Perhaps it was the specific gearing on those cars, but I came away thinking that it was nice, but not worth the large outlay of money (and at the time I had a NA 993).

Maybe I need to sample a few more regeared cars ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-15-2014, 03:52 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Well now I cant look at a 996 without thinking about Steven Hawking and when I see my car my pants get tight. What a predicament.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo?