Sponsored by:

993 NA to 3.8 TT Conversion help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Sheams993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
If final payment was sent before the car was done, you've given away all your power. One of the first rules of business is you never give final payment until the work is completed to your satisfaction. When you violated this basic rule, you made a critical judgement error of the first magnitude.

Add the fact that you've waited 2 years, and only visited the shop TWICE? The shop probably sees you as an ignorant pushover.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but it's also safe to say that you've added to your misery by giving too much money too soon, and waaaay too much time to this crappy garage.

If it were me, I'd be calling the cops and reporting my car stolen by this mechanic if you don't get it back in perfect working order on August 28th. There may be a chance you need to lawyer up to get out of this mess.

Good luck with this. I suspect you'll need lots of it.
May I add with regards to only visiting the shop twice...As much as I like air travel, it tends to get a bit costly, whether public or private. Trust me, if I was closer, I'd be there at least once every other week ******* his leg.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:25 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hindsight is 20-20, and it is a hell of a lot easier to sit back a criticize others via the internet, than it is to be caught in the moment having to make quick decisions based upon your gut.

It sounds like your family has some good history with this shop. Remind the owner of that and hint that it would be a shame to tarnish multi-generational loyalty. If he's worthy of the reputation that his shop has developed, he'll come through. If you lawyer up (an option that you shouldn't take off the table), then your dynamic with the shop owner will be nothing but negative and confrontational from that point on.

Push him to get some straight, detailed answers of what is wrong. Setup weekly phone calls and progress reports (not e-mails because you'll need to hear the guys voice and listen to your gut). Get a second opinion or third from other legitimate, well respected mechanics. If you don't know enough about these cars yet to have a refined BS-meter, find someone to support you who knows these cars inside and out.

I can imagine that a 3.8 TT would be a rather temperamental engine to build and tune. There is a reason why Porsche went to water cooled engines, they were reaching their performance limits with the air/oil cooling capabilities and emissions requirements.

Good luck! Maybe once you've got the car in your possession you'll pony up the big $$$ for a membership here. It's worth it.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes, I know I may come off harshly, but I'm from the old school where it's best to play by the rules and take responsibility when we make mistakes.

I know the owner regrets paying in full before he received his car, and I'm sorry he made this mistake as it is now costing him dearly.

I had the same Porsche mechanic for a decade up until recently when he retired. I know that he, and any man who's "trustworthy", would never accept payment in full, until the job was 100% completed and we were both satisfied with the outcome. Any person who takes payment in full before the job is done isn't worthy of trust and if asked to pay in full before the job is done, that should raise more red flags than a Chinese airport. And this situation is the reason why.

It doesn't seem like any "quick decisions" needed to be made, and hindsight is always 20/20, but the object lesson I hope the owner of this car takes away is never, ever pay in full until you get what you paid for and are completely satisfied with the result. There are just too many amoral people running around to do business any other way.

Sure would love to know the name of this shop too

Good luck to the owner. Hope this turns out to have a positive outcome
Old 08-08-2014, 05:14 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Not sure anything good is going to come out of this. The car would be back in the owner's possession if the shop has the ability to do the work properly.

This is not a case of bent rims. There is real money involved here.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

If it were me, I'd be calling the cops and reporting my car stolen by this mechanic if you don't get it back in perfect working order on August 28th. There may be a chance you need to lawyer up to get out of this mess.
The owner voluntarily left the car, voluntarily made the payments and as far as I can tell, has not been prevented from removing the car from the shop. That said, I'd be hesitant to report it stolen unless an attorney instructed me to do so.

At this point, I would suggest retaining an aggressive attorney and have him/her send a letter detailing the owner's expectations. He'll need to document everything going forward in case this deteriorates further.

I do wish the owner good luck in getting his car back in the condition he expects...I just didn't like the vague manner in which this thread was started. It wasn't fair to a lot of good shops.

EDIT: And if the shop owner does frequent RL, it'd be great to hear his side of the story...

Last edited by TMc993; 08-09-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:26 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Subscribed.

Andreas
Old 08-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Sheams993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
EDIT: And if the shop owner does frequent RL, it'd be great to hear his side of the story...
I agree and welcome it but it won't happen. It is very frustrating to have been waiting for OVER two years and see numerous posts from this person during this time.

Quick Reply: 993 NA to 3.8 TT Conversion help!