Sponsored by:

A fairly objective piece on rising air-cooled prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyJ
Rudy, why not just buy up all the 964/993s that come up for sale...that way u don't have to worry bout the market....
Lol, I don't want them all , just a few of them and I'm not worry about the market , is my investments that allows me to buy this toys , I don't buy the cars as investments , just something to have fun with
Old 09-23-2014, 10:15 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Not a bad hobby, Rudy! I never tire of looking at your collection...
Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

BMW pipes digital engine noises into the cabin via the speakers. Porsche has a pipe (I forget the Porsche abbreviation, PSE maybe?) with a flapper in it. When that system is activated, the flap goes up and more engine noise enters the cabin. When that system is off, the flap is down, and engine noise is "normal" volume. The Porsche system merely alters the amount of actual, live, at-that-moment engine noise in the cabin, although I'm sure that the pipe diameter and acoustical properties thereof were considered during design, to allow the "optimal" tone to enter. The BMW system is entirely artificial. So they are quite different in philosophy and practice, even if the end result to the driver is similar.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:02 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
Porsche has a pipe (I forget the Porsche abbreviation, PSE maybe?) with a flapper in it. When that system is activated, the flap goes up and more engine noise enters the cabin.
My 993 has a similar feature. It's called the window

Thanks for the clarification
Old 09-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
My 993 has a similar feature. It's called the window

Thanks for the clarification
My fiancee and I went for a drive last weekend and I had the windows and sunroof open. She kept asking me, "Are you sure the car's engine is ok? It sounds so much louder than usual." I kept assuring her everything was functioning as intended.

We'll see what her reaction is when the Fister modified exhaust is performed. Engine noise is a HUGE part of the air-cooled 911 experience and a major selling point in my opinion. Water-pumpers just don't sound the same.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW pipes digital engine noises into the cabin via the speakers. Porsche has a pipe (I forget the Porsche abbreviation, PSE maybe?) with a flapper in it. When that system is activated, the flap goes up and more engine noise enters the cabin. When that system is off, the flap is down, and engine noise is "normal" volume. The Porsche system merely alters the amount of actual, live, at-that-moment engine noise in the cabin, although I'm sure that the pipe diameter and acoustical properties thereof were considered during design, to allow the "optimal" tone to enter. The BMW system is entirely artificial. So they are quite different in philosophy and practice, even if the end result to the driver is similar.
That's really, really lame in both cases.

I find this funny because since I got my 993, my BMW's engine seems so quiet I can barely hear it. I find myself shifting later than usual and driving at higher RPM because I've become used to the engine note of the Porsche, and it's just not there in the BMW.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Donster

I find this funny because since I got my 993, my BMW's engine seems so quiet I can barely hear it. I find myself shifting later than usual and driving at higher RPM because I've become used to the engine note of the Porsche, and it's just not there in the BMW.
Did you do the "golf tee mod"?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

This is correct, and Porsche calls it a sound symposer. It amplifies intake noise.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:35 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
This is correct, and Porsche calls it a sound symposer. It amplifies intake noise.
I'm guessing your GT3-RS 4.0 doesn't have (or need) it.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
I'm guessing your GT3-RS 4.0 doesn't have (or need) it.
The 4.0 I have driven didn't need any additional sound support. The howl is glorious.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:43 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The 4.0 I have driven didn't need any additional sound support. The howl is glorious.
I've only driven a 997GT3.1, but yeah, what a glorious sound. My favorite aspect of that car, in fact.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Did you do the "golf tee mod"?
No, I've never heard of the golf tee mod before now. But having looked it up, it's really not my kind of thing.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:52 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Besides Silicon Valley Inflation and the Stock Market, Things are looking' up!

This just sold: http://sanfranciscosportscars.com/19...911-cabriolet/
Old 09-25-2014, 01:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Besides Silicon Valley Inflation and the Stock Market, Things are looking' up!

This just sold: http://sanfranciscosportscars.com/19...911-cabriolet/
I don't agree. This "gold rush" in Porschedom is silly.

Quick Reply: A fairly objective piece on rising air-cooled prices