Sponsored by:

A fairly objective piece on rising air-cooled prices

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
A good friend of mine had one of those back in the late 90s, had it signed by Carroll himself. I think he may still have it. We took it out to Willow Springs a few times, that thing was pretty quick.
Carroll Shelby was also known to sign unlicensed kit Cobras. Unfortunately he was whored around like some sort of commodity. Watching the way he was manipulated by the TV auctions was inexcusable.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
MODS

Please make a separate section for all valuation and fictitious appreciation threads. Many of us don't really give a fu€k what some wannabe journalist thinks of the investment potential of radiator-less junk...
You don't care but you not only clicked on the thread but took the time to post in it twice today? Most threads that have topics that don't seem interesting to me I don't bother to click on.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
You don't care but you not only clicked on the thread but took the time to post in it twice today? Most threads that have topics that don't seem interesting to me I don't bother to click on.
It's called being an a-hole, or at the very least rude.

I was reading on a different forum how Corvette C1 values are going down because the guys who grew up with them are getting too old to drive them or dying.

On the other hand, many "modern classics" seem to be appreciating. I wonder if that's because the guys who grew up lusting after these cars can now finally afford them?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:03 AM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

MODS

Please make a separate section for all valuation and fictitious appreciation threads. Many of us don't really give a fu€k what some wannabe journalist thinks of the investment potential of radiator-less junk...
Did someone point a gun at your head and force you to not only read, but post 3 replies?

Frankly, feel free to ignore this post.

Better yet, put me on your ignore list, please!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
It is intriguing to own a car that at the very least is no longer depreciating.

This. For a good many of us here, this "appreciation" merely means that costs might be covered if the car were sold. I don't even want to know what I've spent on these cars over the years. And I didn't get a "deal" on either of the 993s. Buy high, sell low seems to be my game plan. Should have taken up crack instead.

But life is short. Enjoy them now because you may not be able to tomorrow.

And for the angry: https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...re-thread.html
Old 07-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

MODS

off the meds again?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Another one? Only thing I found down there was what seemed to be a 997 burned in a condo fire.

Hell, we've had two 993 widebodies damaged severely in the past month, just with guys here.

I don't think the 993 world will come close to where the longhoods and 2.7L era cars have gone, since there is next to zero demand to hack them into "updated" cars, or use them as basis for light or full duty track/race cars.

But if people keep desiring them, relative to the later 911s, there will be less can kicking on the repair side.

(Got a kick out of Keith Martin talking about how the 3.6L cars are so complicated, what with their turbos and AWD. Uh huh. What, exactly, is that production? Certainly a minority.)
I think he meant PM Motorsports in Sac---not SD
Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

As a 991 owner -- I think 993 prices are going to continue moving to the moon. In particular the "S" and Turbo models. The new cars have lost all character and government regulations such as Euro6 will ensure it's never coming back.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 PM
mrsystems
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As MANY of the nicer examples are exported out of the country and are filling private collections I don't doubt the few that are left will appreciate to the moon. Yes, even though/if there were thousands made, there isn't necessarily thousands left on the road or for sale. As anyone who's recently searched knows the prices seem to rise by the hour with no end in sight. Good if you have yours already neatly tucked into your garage A bummer for those of us still looking to find our perfect p-car and can't afford the premiums that are now par for the course. Just saying...
Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsystems
As MANY of the nicer examples are exported out of the country and are filling private collections I don't doubt the few that are left will appreciate to the moon. Yes, even though/if there were thousands made, there isn't necessarily thousands left on the road or for sale. As anyone who's recently searched knows the prices seem to rise by the hour with no end in sight. Good if you have yours already neatly tucked into your garage A bummer for those of us still looking to find our perfect p-car and can't afford the premiums that are now par for the course. Just saying...
And I'd like to buy oceanfront here in Kauai for $299,999.

($5K was pretty stupid money for a 12 year old '68 when I got 911 #1.......)
Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie_993
It's called being an a-hole, or at the very least rude.

I was reading on a different forum how Corvette C1 values are going down because the guys who grew up with them are getting too old to drive them or dying.

On the other hand, many "modern classics" seem to be appreciating. I wonder if that's because the guys who grew up lusting after these cars can now finally afford them?
I would also add that younger generation, which I'm part of doesn't care for cars all that much or can't afford them. Especially true for older/toy cars. Many will buy cheapest car to go from A to B or buy a car that's perceived to be luxury brand (i.e.entry german car). So the aircooled bubble may continue for a while, but the demand will start to disappear eventually.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
I would also add that younger generation, which I'm part of doesn't care for cars all that much or can't afford them. Especially true for older/toy cars. Many will buy cheapest car to go from A to B or buy a car that's perceived to be luxury brand (i.e.entry german car). So the aircooled bubble may continue for a while, but the demand will start to disappear eventually.
My thoughts exactly based on my son's demographic of college grads that are 10 years out now with substantial incomes. I just walked the pits at a vintage race with my nephew who has a degree in mechanical engineering and he thought all the "old stuff" was interesting but well..."old".

Restored Model T cars used to have a market years ago for the demographic that grew up with them and that market went to the grave, so to speak. A friend had difficulty selling one when her father died.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 09-23-2014, 03:13 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
Uh oh. Then Rudy should start unloading his warehouse(s). I smell some cheap hardbacks coming soon to market.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Carroll Shelby was also known to sign unlicensed kit Cobras. Unfortunately he was whored around like some sort of commodity. Watching the way he was manipulated by the TV auctions was inexcusable.
Carroll Shelby signed literally almost anything for a donation to his heart foundation. And even today, after his passing, for $75 he continues sign almost anything for a donation.

You get a "simulated signature" that comes with a certificate of authenticity.

http://www.cscf.org/donate/get-carrolls-autograph/

Quick Reply: A fairly objective piece on rising air-cooled prices