Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Prattie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension

Hi

I have some Eibach lowered springs which I eventually will put onto my '96 C2. (52000 Miles) They apparently will lower the car approx 1.00 to 1.5 ''. Much better effect.

The question is has anyone done this on standard shocks or is it always a shock change. Can the lowered springs be helped by stiffer sway bars/Anti Roll bars.

Not sure what to do as at present there is no reason apart from asthetics to change all the shocks, ie no leaks etc. Handling on the soft side but standard.

Any thoughts.

Steve
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people here will tell you to replace the dampers no matter the milage as 20 year old shocks have likely gone bad. Furthermore, the technology within has advanced significantly in terms of performance and durability.

However, as you have asked, the springs you possess can be used with your current dampers. For 993 specific suspensions, pretty much every spring that is sold separately from a damper and every damper sold separate from a spring will have intercompatibility with themselves and any stock setup.
Originally Posted by Prattie
Can the lowered springs be helped by stiffer sway bars/Anti Roll bars.
I am not sure what you mean by "helping" your springs with sway bars. Changing the sways is not necessary and does not necessarily
make anything "better" only more suited for your desired ride.
Not sure what to do as at present there is no reason apart from asthetics to change all the shocks, ie no leaks etc. Handling on the soft side but standard.
Changing the shocks will result in no change to asthetics. It will improve handling and confidence so you will "look" better going round corners, but the car will appear exactly the same in a straight line or standing still.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Prattie
Track Day

Sorry I meant to say apart from aesthetics no need to use the springs because there does not appear to be any issues from the shocks.

I do take you're point about 20 yrs etc . We're the originals Monroe, oil or gas.
I think I'll keep an eye out for some Koni or Bilsteins.

What are m030s that I keep reading about.

Steve
Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Prattie
Track Day

Sorry I mean the increase in sway bar size helps roll which could also be said of the updated shocks.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry I meant to say apart from aesthetics no need to use the springs because there does not appear to be any issues from the shocks.

I do take you're point about 20 yrs etc . We're the originals Monroe, oil or gas.
I think I'll keep an eye out for some Koni or Bilsteins.

What are m030s that I keep reading about.

Steve
The m030 springs were offered as part of the 'Sport' package which also included beefier sway bars and drop links. The result is a somewhat stiffer suspension. The upside is better performance/handling. The downside is a bit of a harsher, jerkier ride (less comfort).
Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Prattie
Track Day

That's what I thought might happen.

Were there m030 shocks under the same banner.?

What I was thinking of doing was changing sway bars , keeping standard shocks (if not damaged) fitting the eibach lowered springs so as to hopefully achieve a compromise.

Remember I'm in the U.K. with smaller windy roads lots of traffic, roads with camber and the need for quick overtaking so need the handling.

Thanks Steve
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

At 52k miles you're far better off replacing the current OEM Monroe's with a nice set of Koni FSD's, your Eibach springs, and the M030 anti-sway bars.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^This. The Monroe OEM shocks generally last about 20K miles. Koni Sport, Koni FSD and Bilsteins are all relatively affordable modern options and they will last a long time. You're gonna have to do it sooner or later.....
Old 07-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
^This. The Monroe OEM shocks generally last about 20K miles. Koni Sport, Koni FSD and Bilsteins are all relatively affordable modern options and they will last a long time. You're gonna have to do it sooner or later.....
9 years now on my Bilstein HDs, which replaced garbage OE shocks w/55k on em. They (Bilsteins) are still working as good as the day they were installed.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
9 years now on my Bilstein HDs, which replaced garbage OE shocks w/55k on em. They (Bilsteins) are still working as good as the day they were installed.
The Monroe's are garbage. You will get a huge improvement from better dampers. If you aren't tracking the car I would skip the sway bar change and put the money into better dampers. You will be amazed at the improvement.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Coloradocurt
Instructor

Originally Posted by nine9six
At 52k miles you're far better off replacing the current OEM Monroe's with a nice set of Koni FSD's, your Eibach springs, and the M030 anti-sway bars.
I just nailed a new set of the Koni FSD's on eBay for $857 shipped - $70 less than TireRack. Also upgrading to the RoW M030 springs.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the OP's car is ROW.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
If I'm not mistaken, the OP's car is ROW.
If it is, and has the M030 springs: I'd use the existing M030's with a set of the aformentioned Bilstein HD's, or Koni FSD's.

If the car is indeed ROW, does it also come equipped with a set of M030 anti-sway bars as well?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

When I bought my car 5 years ago it had Eibach springs. I would never intentionally use these springs. If I am to assume that you are not wanting to spend a great deal, using the OEM M033 springs that should have come with the car originally with Bilstein HDs would be the far better choice. Eibachs produce a very weird looking lowered stance on the car with the rear appearing to look lower than the front though not actually so in reality by measurement.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had Eibach springs on mine with Bilstein shocks. The ride was very stiff and not enjoyable. I have just upgraded with PSS10s and they are great. The ride is awesome and handling great. Got my PSS10s from FD Motorsports.

Quick Reply: Suspension