Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need feedback on FDM Golden Rod/SSK please

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:29 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

My 4S came with GR and SSK installed by FD. Shifting feels very precise and crisp. I didn't feel a whole lot of difference in throw compared to stock shifter.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

There's a few things every 993 needs.........these are 2 of them (SSK and the GR). Get er done! And done right.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:24 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Our SSK reduces the throw by about 20%. Not a huge difference but it is shorter. We use the Porsche factory RS lever and modify it to work with our other components. The other thing our SSK does is eliminate the "ball and cup" connections on the front static rod and replace them with stainless bolts and rod ends. Making the connections tighter and more robust.
As for the Golden Rod, it removes the soft cushion that gives the shifting a squishy feel. It tightens it up and makes the shifting more mechanical and precise. Grinding in second and sometimes third gear is a very common problem in many 993s. Especially when cold. The GR can make this problem more noticeable, but it does not cause it. Shifting slower or even double clutching until the gear oil in the transmission has warmed up can help. Sometimes fresh gear oil will help too.
We sell a lot of SSK/Golden Rod combos and people love them. Singer uses our SSK and GR in the Singer 911s, and that car was praised in Euro Car magazine as having the best shifting feel of any 911 they had driven.

With all of that said, please note that if you feel that our product(s) aren't right for you feel free to send them back. We will give you a refund no problem.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default I have them &...

love them, the "Platinum Rod", which I believe is NLA. Darin installed my shifter rod and SSK….I couldn't be happier…Next time, perhaps you may wish to call FD first before "roasting" them on an international forum, that would be the gentlemanly thing to do, I would think.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:37 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure there's an issue with the install. If it's put in correctly you'd have nothing but praise and wonder how ya got by w/o it. The grind or crunch you may feel (that's not from improper install) was always there, but the stock shift rod isolated it from you.

The hack that put the SSK in before I got the car, cut a hole in the tin. I formed a piece of sheet metal and used rivets to repair. Only sticks out 3/4" inch.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  137.5 KB
Old 07-19-2014, 01:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
With all of that said, please note that if you feel that our product(s) aren't right for you feel free to send them back. We will give you a refund no problem.
This is one of the many reasons why FD Motorsports is a top vendor to the Porsche community. Total class and top customer service.

Congrats on the Singer endorsement. That speaks large volumes. Deserving.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I did the GR by itself without the SSK. The precision in shifting is improved, more precise. I was a little skeptical going in, as I wasn't at all unhappy with my shifting before the GR install, but for the price, I figured it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. I am glad I did it and would do it again.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

The Golden Rod was already installed on my car when I purchased it. Shifting feel was so bad I was ready to remove the GR and go back to stock. Turned out the installation was terrible. Every setting was off, nothing was properly lined up, and the ball cups were toast.

I pulled the GR, replaced the ball cups, etc. Once reinstalled I wouldn't live without it!
Old 07-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is one of the many reasons why FD Motorsports is a top vendor to the Porsche community. Total class and top customer service.

Congrats on the Singer endorsement. That speaks large volumes. Deserving.
Agreed
Old 07-19-2014, 04:55 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Next time, perhaps you may wish to call FD first before "roasting" them on an international forum, that would be the gentlemanly thing to do, I would think.
I think you need to re-read the OP's comments. He did anything but "roast them" with his very reasonable question
Old 07-19-2014, 09:19 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
I think you need to re-read the OP's comments. He did anything but "roast them" with his very reasonable question
I see your point regarding Sam's questions
Actually... The thread title itself is a bit "roasty"
At least provocative

But I'm sure it wasn't intended
Such is the nature of the interwebz

It's all good and he will be taken care of
Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Not to muddy the waters further but per another member's post I had ordered and replaced the nylon cups and nylon shifter sleeves mentioned in that thread;

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-bushing.html

After spending a bit more quality time under the 993 dropping the long cover and replacing the nylon items there was once again a noticeable improvement in shifting feel. It's also good to have an enthusiastic helper for all those damn 10mm nuts....

Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin S.
love them, the "Platinum Rod", which I believe is NLA. Darin installed my shifter rod and SSK….I couldn't be happier…Next time, perhaps you may wish to call FD first before "roasting" them on an international forum, that would be the gentlemanly thing to do, I would think.
I've dealt with FD on several occasions, and in fact they have even helped me on issues that had nothing to do with their products, point being I have the utmost respect for them, and thought before I would waste more of their time, I would get other "customer's" opinions and feedback first, incase what I am experiencing is normal. The point of this post is not to "roast" anyone, like you so prematurely implied. The point is to get different peoples opinions, isn't that what a forum is about? There can be multiple opinions on the same topic, different interpretations on the same thing, etc....

Next time, perhaps you may wish to think a little more before insulting someone for no justified reason, not to mention that you don't even know... that would be the gentlemanly thing to do, I would think!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:29 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkD
I see your point regarding Sam's questions
Actually... The thread title itself is a bit "roasty"
At least provocative

But I'm sure it wasn't intended
Such is the nature of the interwebz

It's all good and he will be taken care of
NO BAD INTENTION AT ALL....I wanted a catchy title that would get ALL the GR/SSK users to open and it give feedback....perhaps not the best idea in retrospect, but it worked....I am getting constructive feedback that I can take back to my mechanic.

Darin, at this stage I am not looking for a refund, as I really want to experience the advantages of your kit. It's way too early to talk "refund", but thanks for the offer......class act, as usual.

If you care to add to the feedback on what I can have the mechanic check/modify, please feel free. Done on this forum instead of over the phone, may help others in the future with the same issues. On the other hand if you prefer to do this privately, just let me know.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:31 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal

, would love to get some of your feedback....TIA,
Sam
Contact FD for input regarding the golden thingy..
I would have done that long before posting a this weblist.
SSK is not all its cracked up to be IMO.

craig

Quick Reply: Need feedback on FDM Golden Rod/SSK please