Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:50 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by OldGuy
I think 1800 qualifies, I'll buy that, but still
2400 hurts, but I'll be in my new Pcar woohooo!
OG
O.K., I think that I've got the others beat. Carlisle, PA to San Jose, CA in a 1963 open cab fire engine. Max speed on the highway: 57mph. I was being passed by old ladies on bicycles, but was having the time of my life. Nothing better than a road trip, especially after it is over and you can stop worrying about unexpected breakdowns (which can be quite nerve-racking during the trip). The only breakdown I had during that trip was physical, not vehicular. I just couldn't keep up with the fluids I was losing in the open cab rig, no matter how much my fluid intake. Ended up going to the ER outside of Memphis (yeah, I took the Southern route home) and after 2 liters of IV saline my heart rate finally started coming down. No significant problems after that.

Makes all of my other trips seem tame: Denver to SJ, Fort Collins to SJ, Wenatchee WA to SJ, and finally Salt Lake City to SJ (at least the last one was in my first Porsche).

I actually felt kind of bad when I found the C4 so close to home. No road trip! There is no better way to bond with, and begin to understand your new vehicle purchase.

Have a blast, and keep us updated on your progress. Also, if you can plan out your route, maybe some fellow Rennlisters can e-mail you with their home or cell phone numbers in case you have any "issues" in their territory?

Tom
Old 08-07-2003, 03:13 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TMH - were you a Pi Kappa Alpha? They all have fire engines at their houses
Old 08-07-2003, 03:16 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, call me a bit naive... what's wrong with driving with a paper plate? I can't see how that marks you as an out-of-towner any more than the wrong CA plate, and the wrong CA plate may get you in some trouble, somewhere. Oh, and be careful with radar... its illegal in some states. Patrol cars will come up behind you, flip on the radar, and see if anything lights up in your car. Porsches have to be the number one target for this trick. Drive sanely. Just remeber... the faster you get back to Boise, the more time you have with your in-laws. That ought to slow you down some.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I used a paper plate after picking the car in IL. Did the 12+ hour drive with no incident at all. In fact, I kept my paper plate on for a few more weeks as I was taking my time to get it registered.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:23 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by GratefulJED
TMH - were you a Pi Kappa Alpha? They all have fire engines at their houses
Nope, never was in any fraternity in college. Just a grown-up (although this is sometimes questionable) kid, who grew up across the street from the Fire Captain, and enjoys fire club events as much as those put on by the PCA club. (The water fights are much better - see photo)

Tom
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2003, 03:23 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

My 993 story starts in Phoenix AZ where I loaded the car in the back of a huge Ryder truck, strapped it down and drove straight thru (no hotels) to Southern Ohio. I about froze to death on Friday night somewhere near Albequerqe(?) NM but made it home sometime on Sunday afternoon. It wasn't driving the P-car unfortunately (I bought it wrecked) but it was quite the adventure. BTW, headed to Dallas to pick up a BMW for the wife next week and will be driving it back to Ohio.

Quick Reply: shipping vs driving