Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 993 and some suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 PM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Previous owner of my car installed the adjustable Bilstein and H&R kit from carnewal, and I'm very happy with it. Rides nice, and handles great! See pic at left for ride height.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To OP beautiful 993 and welcome to RL!

To the broader audience, I understand there are lots of RS specific components one must use/consider for true RS ride height. What about RS +10 ride height? This seems to be a popular compromise between ROW and RS heights.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:22 AM
RacerBice
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Great buy, congrats! The car looks super with Turbo Twists.

I have H&R coilovers on mine, without adjustable dampers (not sure if exactly the set you linked to, can only tell by ref.no.). Looks are awesome, but the ride is HARSH (I also don't/won't track)! I'm thinking of replacing with Bilstein fully-adjustable instead, hoping this will provide for at least a slight improvement in comfort.

RB
Old 06-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Kacey
Instructor

Originally Posted by SwayBar
You don't want that, since you will then have to deal with bump steer.

And this is the only real way to solve the problem while retaining RS ride height:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P93...ersion-Package
I guess ROW height is the way to go, i certainly do not want to take away from the performance of this fine machine.

Last night after installing the tires i was feeling sassy and pushed it a little harder than usual. the CE came on and i ran the code which ended up being P0501 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance. I reset the light and we will see if it comes back. Has anyone else seen this code after some spirited driving. I did bounce off the rev limiter once (hate to admit it).
Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 PM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacey
I guess ROW height is the way to go
That's what I went with, and it's plenty low. I really can't imagine it being lower than that.

Last night after installing the tires i was feeling sassy and pushed it a little harder than usual. the CE came on and i ran the code which ended up being P0501 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance. I reset the light and we will see if it comes back. Has anyone else seen this code after some spirited driving. I did bounce off the rev limiter once (hate to admit it).
Never got that code. Here's some info to consider, and they do recommend to reset and see if it returns:

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-E...e/Default.aspx
Old 07-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Originally Posted by FabianS
Previous owner of my car installed the adjustable Bilstein and H&R kit from carnewal, and I'm very happy with it. Rides nice, and handles great! See pic at left for ride height.
Looks great. Do you have issues with bump steer? Is the kit really necessary?

Originally Posted by SwayBar
That's what I went with, and it's plenty low. I really can't imagine it being lower than that.

Never got that code. Here's some info to consider, and they do recommend to reset and see if it returns:

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-E...e/Default.aspx
thank you. I did reset it and the light came back after 1500kms.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
To OP beautiful 993 and welcome to RL!

To the broader audience, I understand there are lots of RS specific components one must use/consider for true RS ride height. What about RS +10 ride height? This seems to be a popular compromise between ROW and RS heights.
Even at std RS height 124/107, you can keep the normal uprights, the RS uprights and tierods become increasingly necessary as you go lower than that down to Cup/RSR/GT3 95/94 neighborhood
Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 426 Posts

First, welcome to the club! I installed Bilstein B6 HDs and M030 springs. I cranked them down as low as they could go. Click on the link/pic in my sig and you will see a lot of pics of my ride height to give you an idea if that solution is for you. If you don't need/want adjustability, I think this combination works great. I recently returned from 993Fest with a lot of spirited driving in twisties and my car handled like a champ.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in. I went with Koni FSD's on original springs. Most here cannot stand the stock ride height, but it's a must where I live. There's is no history on long term use of the FSD's, but I was willing to take a gamble because mine rode so rough every time I took it out, it felt like something was going to break. I really like the ride now and I haven't noticed any decrease in handling.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:58 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

In the photo with the new wheels the driver side appears to also have toe in and/or negative camber in that pic which could account for the different gaps on either side, maybe my eyes are playing tricks. If that's the case though hopefully an alignment will sort it out.

Originally Posted by Kacey
I'm not sure if this is normal but i just noticed that the wheels are not really equally centered in the wheel wheel from drivers to pass side. anyone know why this would be? I'd say it's almost 3/4 of an inch more forward on the drivers side.

pass side:

Drivers side:
Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Since 1999/2000 the C2S coupe has been riding on RoW M033, F&R sway bars from the RoW C2S spec., and recently Bilstein HD (B6) were added. Basically the RoW C2S production set-up

15 years and couldn't be happier. The coupe is a street, weekend daily driver.

Question? Back in the production days of our 93s, didn't the M030 option include Bilstein HD dampers? ? (Not the standard Monroe units)
Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Kacey
Instructor

After having owned the car for 2.5 months and loving every moment of it, I know there will always be a P-car in my garage. Preferably this one.

Mods so far:

H&R coilovers
RS Engine mounts
Proper KT alignment
Walrod A-Arm bushings
18" hollow spoke 996T reps
Falken Azenis FK-453 tires 225/40 & 265/35

Upgrades:
New Bosch lenses
Mobil LS transmission fluid

When i first got her:

New wheels and tires but still with serious ride height issues:

How she looks now:

Swapped the lenses for fresh Bosch units last night. Took all of 15 minutes. I've never seen a car that was so easy to remove the headlights.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Fun to see people having fun like this.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:35 PM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks great man, we should meet up soon.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:00 PM
f1ava
Instructor

Wow that really is low !! Is it lower than RS ?? Looks like tires will scrub on arches at any opportunity.

Quick Reply: My 993 and some suspension question