My 993 and some suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Great story!

Yes, check out this thread : https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-your-car.html
thanks alot...i will most likely go this route

Originally Posted by pp000830
The car has over 60K miles on it, as most examples have by now, it likely has replacement (upgraded) aftermarket struts already. If the aftermarket struts on your car are H&R or Bilstein (most common brands) and some time in the future need replacement, they can be rebuilt at a substantial savings over buying new – saving at least $1500 over a new set.
Many US cars have had their springs swapped out with aftermarket springs early in their life to lower the suspension to more sporting height. Over time these aftermarket springs can sag. Replacing struts, springs or both as a complete coil-over kit is a surprisingly easy job done with jack stands and one of these: “MacPherson Strut Spring Compressor Set” transforming the ride of the car. Also see “How to jack the car up” safely. An inexpensive height adjustable coil-over option I have had great daily driver results with for the last several years is the H&R Street Performance Coil-Over kit 29954-1 , both springs and matched struts for all four wheel-ends, cost < $2000 if you shop around, I got mine on e-Bay. You can reuse the existing rear anti-sway bar down-links with this kit. The only additional parts you will need for the job is 16 replacement lock-nuts for where the strut mounts attach to the body at the top. Lots of aspiring track guys buy kits with adjustable valving for a considerable premium over this kit, to each his own I say.
thank you very much. The shocks are still OEM apart from one rear monroe that was replaced 10 years ago, so they are really due. The ride height is certainly stock, I wish it had been swapped out previously but now the job falls on me. which i don't really mind . I think i will go with the H&R coilovers, especially since i found that great deal on this forum, adjustable valving is not really needed in my case. I will not tackle the job myself, especially since i live in a condo, but I would really love to. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 PM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 242 Posts

I bought my Bilstein HD M030 suspension with sway bars here and couldn't be happier:

http://www.carnewal.com/Suspension#P93

And Gert was very responsive to emails during the install process.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 AM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by SwayBar
I bought my Bilstein HD M030 suspension with sway bars here and couldn't be happier:

http://www.carnewal.com/Suspension#P93

And Gert was very responsive to emails during the install process.
Same here... well previous owner bought from there, but I couldn't be happier with the ride and ride height.

OP - You should keep those wheels on until you get the new suspension on there.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Hey congrats! Your 993 reminded me of my very first one which was also GR. Deciding which combo to go with is really tough. It all depends on what you like. Do you prefer oem comfort, or stiffer ride, ROW ride height, RS ride height, or somewhere in between. From what I know, Konis/M033 will get you to ROW height (not low enough for me). Rear Konis aren't height (not threaded) adjustable if you care about corner balancing. They do offer a comfy ride. HD/M030 rides the firmest but the HDs will allow you to drop down pretty low to RS if prefer. My 4S has HD/H&R. Again HDs will allow you the ability to go lower than ROW. All 4 bodies are threaded. The H&R springs are more firm than M033, but less harsh than M030. My 95 NB rides on Eibach. The stiffness is comparable to M030. I'm no suspension expert by any means, but hope I was helpful in some way.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have koni FSDs and M033 ROW. Did the install myself.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Hey congrats! Your 993 reminded me of my very first one which was also GR. Deciding which combo to go with is really tough. It all depends on what you like. Do you prefer oem comfort, or stiffer ride, ROW ride height, RS ride height, or somewhere in between. From what I know, Konis/M033 will get you to ROW height (not low enough for me). Rear Konis aren't height (not threaded) adjustable if you care about corner balancing. They do offer a comfy ride. HD/M030 rides the firmest but the HDs will allow you to drop down pretty low to RS if prefer. My 4S has HD/H&R. Again HDs will allow you the ability to go lower than ROW. All 4 bodies are threaded. The H&R springs are more firm than M033, but less harsh than M030. My 95 NB rides on Eibach. The stiffness is comparable to M030. I'm no suspension expert by any means, but hope I was helpful in some way.
RS ride height is what i need. Thanks alot for the info, If i can snag those H&R coilovers that are in the classifieds, this is what i will do. I dont mind a bit of a harsher ride, i just need to be low. I installed 18" wheels today..pics to follow

Last edited by Kacey; 06-18-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Kacey
Instructor

New wheel day!!

18x8 +50
19x10 +65
996T hollow spoke twist reps that i bought used.

Falken Azenis FK-453
225/40/18
265/35/18

Rides very nice..a little more responsive and twitchy..man i really need new suspension.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:21 PM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The combination of PSS10 & 18" wheels on my C4- (lowered to the practical limit for wheel fender clearance without rolling) has resulted in a much harsher ride than I expected. I'm glad they are adjustable because mine are set on number 3 for livability on our horrible Michigan roads. I think the 18" wheels are no help for harshness either. The sportiness of this new set up very quickly became a frustratingly bumpy ride until the dampening was dialed down.

A 993 friend with M030 (us spec) + eibach lowering springs really wishes he had chosen different (less firm) lowering springs . Again- maybe just a Michigan thing...

Here is My C4 with 18" and PSS10.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2014, 03:03 PM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm sure Michigan and Montreal are comparable in terms of their terrible road conditions.
KC, wheels look great. Can't wait to see it with a drop.
G-MASSA, your car looks great as well. Never saw that wheel combo on a 993 before.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheels look awesome, and will look even better at RS ride height.

I still can't get over how high stock NA ride height is, thats just wrong.

Now time for some wide oval tips, it'll give the back end that more aggressive look over the stock tips.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:10 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

K- looking good. Now drop that sucka!
Old 06-18-2014, 03:31 PM
dufftime
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TargaTuur69
I have koni FSDs and M033 ROW. Did the install myself.
I'm going back and forth on whether I should try to DIY this (have the springs, still need to order the shocks). Seems like just turning bolts, but the part that scares me is compressing the spring enough to install the top cup. I've seen too many YouTube videos where the compressor slides off the spring and spring flies off at some enormous speed narrowly missing the person's head.

I think I could handle everything else, except for obviously the alignment. Is there anything that is better than this, but not huge/pricey like shops would have wall-mounted.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Kacey
Instructor

I'm not sure if this is normal but i just noticed that the wheels are not really equally centered in the wheel wheel from drivers to pass side. anyone know why this would be? I'd say it's almost 3/4 of an inch more forward on the drivers side.

pass side:

Drivers side:
Old 06-18-2014, 07:10 PM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacey
RS ride height is what i need.
You don't want that, since you will then have to deal with bump steer.

And this is the only real way to solve the problem while retaining RS ride height:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P93...ersion-Package
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Wen you settle on ride height it is best to not go any lower than ROW lowered height as you may not be able to align the car to Porsche specification. When I installed the h&r kit in my driveway with jack stands I first adjusted the ride height on all 4 wheel ends and then took it in for an alignment. The shop manual has a picture showing where on the suspension to measure the ride height. To put ride height in perspective see the attached chart. The H&R threaded coil-over allows for an adjustment range well beyond the range of appropriate heights that the suspension will allow for proper alignment.
Attached Images

Quick Reply: My 993 and some suspension question