Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD Changer + Cassette + Bluetooth on a Becker Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 138 Posts

I might be wrong but I thought the 951 switch is NOT Momentary (see pic above) whereas the 993 switch IS a momentary switch? (see pic below):

Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Okay I have some progress. Here is a diagram of what I'm going to do
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:50 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Here are the relays I got off ebay.

The Omrons are SPDT. Since there are two of these, these will handle 12V and Ground to the CD Changer / Yatour.

The Takamisawas are DPDT. Since there are are four of these, these will handle the remaining 7 signal wires to the CD Changer / Yatour.

(BTW, I decided to use Yatour instead of Solisto since Yatour comes with Bluetooth) ....

You can also see that I am using the same project box that Johnny_Law used, and you can see that I bought a some ISO connectors.
Attached Images    
Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Modifying the project box to take the male ISO connectors .... you can see the test-fit. The connectors will be glued in once finished (and not be seen).
Attached Images   
Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Okay made some progress --- laid out the schematic for the "9-pole-double-throw" switch (please forgive the awfully crude wiring diagram) and mounted the relays into the project box. Wired it up so that so far if I apply 12V to the white wire, I get all the relays "throwing" at once.

FWIW --- I think I can use part number 928.613.240.00 --- this is a mirror selector switch used on some 964s and 928s .... I can put this in the center console and use the switch to switch between the Yatour and the CD Changer --- nice and discreet.
Attached Images    
Old 08-11-2014, 05:58 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does the Yatour actually work?

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Okay I have some progress. Here is a diagram of what I'm going to do
Fascinating discussion.

I am currently operating a CDR220 with auxiliary input and have just acquired a CDR210 to replace it with in the hopes of having an even more OEM looking setup. I have thought about putting in the Yatour but have never seen anyone state that it actually works with a CDR210 unit. Ideally I would want to run Bluetooth. There is no CD changer in my 993.

Is it as simple as just plugging the Yatour into the changer input on the HU and then having the signal come from either Bluetooth or from an auxiliary input from a phone? The question is simply about whether the Yatour is for real. I've only seen it sold directly from China on eBay. Gives one some pause.

Does the Solisto do the same thing but without Yatour?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not familiar with the Yatour or Solisto systems, but I can comment on the CDR-210 vs. CDR-220. The CDR-210 does not have the same level of auxiliary input capabilities as the CDR-220. For OEM headunits the CDR-220 is in as sweet spot, were the technology is new enough to support various aux peripherals, but also old enough that things like fiber optics don't get in the way (i.e. CR-23 etc.).

I have seen CDR-210s modified with a 3.5mm AUX in port added to the faceplate of the receiver. I believe Becker provides this service. Another option for Blue Tooth are the Tranzit Blu devices. For these to work with the CDR-210, I believe you'd have to route the signal through the FM antenna rather than an aux-in port. (Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong.)

Used a Tranzit Blu with my Nokia CR-1, routing audio through the FM antenna, and it worked well. There was some alternator noise, but that was present before introducing the Tranzit Blu device. GL!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skywachr
Fascinating discussion.

I am currently operating a CDR220 with auxiliary input and have just acquired a CDR210 to replace it with in the hopes of having an even more OEM looking setup. I have thought about putting in the Yatour but have never seen anyone state that it actually works with a CDR210 unit. Ideally I would want to run Bluetooth. There is no CD changer in my 993.

Is it as simple as just plugging the Yatour into the changer input on the HU and then having the signal come from either Bluetooth or from an auxiliary input from a phone? The question is simply about whether the Yatour is for real. I've only seen it sold directly from China on eBay. Gives one some pause.

Does the Solisto do the same thing but without Yatour?
Hi Skywachr ---- I'm intrigued that you are replacing a CDR220 with a CDR210 in favor of aesthetic originality. Indeed, I would rather keep my CR210. The only reason why I am replacing my CR210 with a CR220 is for two reasons:

1) The up/down volume buttons on the CR210 drive me crazy
2) Rod Birch convinced me that the CR220 sound quality, while not awesome, is much better than the CR210.

So I am NOT using a CR220 for the aux-input. In fact, if all you are doing is replacing the CD changer (and I read that you don't have a CD changer) the Yatour SHOULD work fine.

In fact if you look here: Yatour the specs note that it SHOULD work with the C(D)R-210 just fine.

I CAN say that I deal with Chinese factories which manufacture digital electronics for Western companies all day long (it is part of my line of work) and the finished product and the packaging looks very professionally done and polished (if lacking perfect English grammar). This is the kind of physical quality I would expect from Tier 1 ODMs.

I don't know if my Yatour works yet (haven't had time to connect everything up) --- but I note that there are reviews of the unit that are quite favorable online.

Here are some reviews from Amazon UK Here are some reviews from Amazon UK
Here are some reviews from a Volvo Bulletin Board

Yes, the Yatour is supposed to be the Solisto PLUS Bluetooth (as the Solisto does not have a Bluetooth option)

Basically my goal with the Yatour is to be able to add Bluetooth and perhaps SDcard/USB stick to my 993.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Hi Skywachr ---- I'm intrigued that you are replacing a CDR220 with a CDR210 in favor of aesthetic originality. Indeed, I would rather keep my CR210. The only reason why I am replacing my CR210 with a CR220 is for two reasons:

1) The up/down volume buttons on the CR210 drive me crazy
2) Rod Birch convinced me that the CR220 sound quality, while not awesome, is much better than the CR210.
This raises a point I hadn't known about and hadn't considered. The CDR220 has a very acceptable sound quality playing the source through AUX. The sound quality of both the FM AND the CD player are somewhat less from my observations in the very same unit. If indeed the sound quality of the CDR210 is less than that of the CDR220 the OEM purity of the switch would not be worth it to me. I'm assuming Rod Birch would say the same thing about these two CDR units compared as he did with the two CR units. I'm having to rethink this whole thing.

Again i'm wondering if someone knows of anyone using the CDR 210 with either the Solisto or the Yatour?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as I know the difference between CR-210 and CDR-210 or CR-220 and CDR-220 is that the CDR versions play CDs and the CR versions play cassettes. I'd expect the sound quality between CR-220 and CDR-220 to be comparable.

Last edited by Spyder_Man; 08-13-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:31 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

This raises a point I hadn't known about and hadn't considered. The CDR220 has a very acceptable sound quality playing the source through AUX. The sound quality of both the FM AND the CD player are somewhat less from my observations in the very same unit. If indeed the sound quality of the CDR210 is less than that of the CDR220 the OEM purity of the switch would not be worth it to me. I'm assuming Rod Birch would say the same thing about these two CDR units compared as he did with the two CR units. I'm having to rethink this whole thing.

Hi Skywachr --- please let me be more precise. Rod Birch convinced me that the CDR-220 has superior sonic quality over the CDR-210. He was referring to the CD sound quality.

I did not know that the AUX section of the CR/CDR-220 has superior sound quality over the CD section of the CD-220. That actually begs the question if the CDC3-changer playing through the CDR-220 or CR-220 has superior sound quality over the in-deck CD player of the CDR-220. The CDC3, of course, is made by Sony (not Becker) and has onboard D/A converters and passes an analog signal to the head unit.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Hi Skywachr --- please let me be more precise. Rod Birch convinced me that the CDR-220 has superior sonic quality over the CDR-210. He was referring to the CD sound quality.

I did not know that the AUX section of the CR/CDR-220 has superior sound quality over the CD section of the CD-220. That actually begs the question if the CDC3-changer playing through the CDR-220 or CR-220 has superior sound quality over the in-deck CD player of the CDR-220. The CDC3, of course, is made by Sony (not Becker) and has onboard D/A converters and passes an analog signal to the head unit.
Thanks. Again. correct me if I'm not understanding correctly but if the Yatour and Splisto act as an input to the external CD player port and not the player itself, could this mean more of the inferior sound quality comparison described by Birch?
Old 08-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Again. correct me if I'm not understanding correctly but if the Yatour and Splisto act as an input to the external CD player port and not the player itself, could this mean more of the inferior sound quality comparison described by Birch?
Hi Skywachr --- All I am saying is that since you observed that the AUX input of the C(D)R-220 sound better than the internal CD player that I then wonder if the CDC3 [which is made by Sony] changer on a CDR-220 (which uses the same pins as the Aux input] sounds better than the internal CD player of the CDR-220.

And furthermore I wonder if the Solisto/Yatour (they emulate a CD changer) sounds better than the internal CD player of the CDR-220.

It might be worth your while to ping Rod directly on the sonic differences between the preamp stages of the C(D)R-210 vs. the C(D)R-220? Specifically the preamp stages? He's really open to emails and really easy to talk to.

What I can tell you is that he's not big fan of the sound quality of the C(D)R-220, and he is even LESS enthusiastic about the C(D)R-210. That said, personally speaking, my own priorities are (a) aesthetics (looks period correct) (b) convenience (bluetooth, etc.) and sound quality in that order.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:45 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

The Porsche 928-613-240-00 switch is neat. Small win. Fits perfectly and about as discreet as you can get. Doesn't look modified at all.
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Progress ..... Wired up the 9 pole double throw relay box ...

Name:  ForumRunner_20140816_131430.png
Views: 2182
Size:  928.9 KB

Quick Reply: CD Changer + Cassette + Bluetooth on a Becker Headunit