Sponsored by:

Clutch Stop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:28 AM
nourm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Stop?

Does anybody know of a Clutch Stop for our 993s?
A friend of mine with a e46 M3 mentioned that he installed a clutch stop so he has less "wasted" travel on the clutch. My clutch engages/dis-engages about half way through the pedal so I'd like to stop the pedal from moving much past that. This would making driving and shifting both easier and faster.
Is there a part made for the 993 to do this or has anybody fashioned a DIY solution?
Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been covered before. I tired searching but didn't come up with anything.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 PM
fozzie bear
Advanced

Interested to hear about this. Not really an issue for me with my gigantically long legs, but my wife actually has to have the seat quite far forward to get her leg to extend to full clutch pedal travel.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,421 Likes on 821 Posts

just don't push the pedal the whole way?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 PM
fozzie bear
Advanced

I guess the advantage to such a device or feature is that you have some positive indication you've pushed the clutch in enough to fully disengage during a quick shift.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:16 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Perhaps through a modification of the clutch pedal linkage, or the redesign of the hydraulic clutch slave?

None that I've heard of, but that doesn't mean much...
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM
fozzie bear
Advanced

This may come off as a very stupid question, but are most of you all going all the way to the floor with the clutch with every shift?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Worn clutch?

When i drove 993 with new clutch the operation was at the very low end of the pedal travel (i.e. as soon as you let the pedal go, the clutch would start engaging). My clutch is old and engages at very high point and requires a harder push.

Newer clutch makes shifting quicker and easier, but I'm putting off my clutch replacement to 90k service.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:44 PM
nourm
Advanced

Originally Posted by NYC993
Worn clutch?

When i drove 993 with new clutch the operation was at the very low end of the pedal travel (i.e. as soon as you let the pedal go, the clutch would start engaging). My clutch is old and engages at very high point and requires a harder push.

Newer clutch makes shifting quicker and easier, but I'm putting off my clutch replacement to 90k service.
Exactly, clutch is worn but doesn't need to be replaced just yet. I'm sure I can get plenty more miles before shelling out the $$$ for a new clutch.

Sure, I can just not push the pedal all the way but like that you have no feedback as to it being fully disengaged. The clutch stop would create the "end-point" for the travel of the clutch. This would then be adjustable so that I can set it at the correct point. The shorter pedal travel would make it a lot easier to drive around town as well as make shifting faster when going for more spirited drives.
Its a very simple device, I feel like I could just go to home depot and come up with something but I wanted to see if there was anything made for our cars that would fit without much thought/modification.
Here's a picture from a quick google search:
Old 05-28-2014, 12:54 PM
nourm
Advanced

Well, I ended up answering my own question by tracing that photo to this post:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/182676-new-adjustable-clutch-stop-rss.html

You'll notice that the original post in that thread mentions that it wouldn't work on a OEM clutch, reason being that there is a switch somewhere behind the pedal that only engages when it is fully depressed. This switch would prevent the engine from turning unless the clutch was fully dis-engaged. Apparently this can be bypassed by connected the two wires on that switch.

That RSS clutch-stop looks like a real nice piece, but rather pricey for the job its doing. I'm going to give home depot a shot and see if I can rig something up. Will post here for anyone that is interested!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

There is a clutch stop on the driver's footboard, and it does have some adjustment. You can see it if you remove the carpet. I don't think it is intended for the use you describe, however.

In my experience, the transmission on the 993 isn't one that shifts as quickly as say, a Miata or Honda. It seems to shift easier if one makes a little pause at neutral. Quick shifts may lead to an early transmission rebuild...
Old 05-28-2014, 01:03 PM
fozzie bear
Advanced

Originally Posted by nourm
Well, I ended up answering my own question by tracing that photo to this post:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/182676-new-adjustable-clutch-stop-rss.html

You'll notice that the original post in that thread mentions that it wouldn't work on a OEM clutch, reason being that there is a switch somewhere behind the pedal that only engages when it is fully depressed. This switch would prevent the engine from turning unless the clutch was fully dis-engaged. Apparently this can be bypassed by connected the two wires on that switch.
Come to think of it, I've recently been hearing a little "click" from the lower dash area when I'm pushing or lifting the clutch and pass through a certain point (I don't remember which). Could that be the switch?

Doing a google search, as you did, shows mostly BMW mods. Some of these look like replacing or adjusting an existing clutch stop, some look like installing something into the floor, and others are attachments to the pedal itself.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nourm
Does anybody know of a Clutch Stop for our 993s?
Look at your wooden floorboard (depending on your model year it will look just like this and red arrows are for adjustment) and you'll find the clutch stop.

you want there to be (150mm ± 5) of pedal travel.

Quick Reply: Clutch Stop?