Sponsored by:

The beginning of an Aventura Adventure ..continued

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 02:58 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by drodg
Love this thread and just saw it this am. I too own an Aventura green 96 993 and I still think it is a beautiful color. Especially outside and the 993 is clean. Thanks so much for your posts etc.
..cheers!

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
OP - thanks for the updates. Cool to read the timeline of mods, you have a v nice car. I'm one of those lurkers that visits RL every day and never contribute myself. I appreciate the time to you take share so I have something for my coffee breaks.
Thank you for your kind comments! There are some seriously impressive build threads on Rennlist resulting in some truly outstanding cars . Clearly my 993's progress does not really compare to those; I'm simply trying to improve this already brilliant car through learning from others within the community have achieved with their 993, and then by adding a touch of personalisation .

Like you, I read frequently and yet rarely post. Nevertheless, it would be great to see your car, learn how you've improved it to your taste, and understand your plans for the future .
Old 06-18-2018, 04:44 PM
ch3tman
Racer

In late May the car went in for its annual service - given the major items worked on in the past 12 months, the plan was to very much keep this visit to a minor service followed by the MOT.

I'd also asked my local expert (Tognola Engineering) to give the car a general check-over ahead of a planned road European roadtrip. Just as I left the car with him, Peter noticed there was a split in the fan shroud air diverter - seemingly quite a common issue on our cars. A few days later Peter called to notify me he'd observed two of the CV boots in rather poor condition - and probably wouldn't advise going on a long run given the damage that could occur to the driveshafts with the joints drying out. The recommendation was to replace all 4 - inner and outer boots - I gather this is a messy and tedious job!

Having formed a positive rapport with Peter over the years, I trust Tognola Engineering without hesitation so taking the recommendations into account, the work-list became:

- Minor service
- MOT
- Replace fan shroud diverter
- Replace inner/outer CV boots
- Air-con re-gas
- General checkover/adjustments ahead of upcoming trip

Once again the car flew through it's MOT which was pleasing .
Old 06-18-2018, 04:55 PM
ch3tman
Racer

So with the car back from service, it was time to set off on the overdue roadtrip, which for one reason or another, was pushed out from last year. It was also the first time taking the 993 on the continent; excitement and nerves in equal measure, especially as I'd convinced my wife it'll be more rewarding than flying out to a relaxing beach destination!

The general order of the route as follows:

>>> Eurotunnel UK>FR
>>> Metz, FR
>>> Baden Baden, DE
>>> Lake Constance, DE (via B500 Black Forest High Road, DE)
>>> Innsbruck, AT (via Hahntennjoch Pass, AT)
>>> Grossglockner High Alpine Road, AT
>>> Karlsruhe, DE
>>> Reims, FR
>>> Eurotunnel FR>UK

We really wanted to cover Silvretta High Alpine Road on the way into Innsbruck, however it was still shut from the winter (only just opened in recent days), so we headed to Hahntennjoch instead. Credit to fellow 911uk'er infrasilver :thumb: - his past trips, reports and personal correspondence aided our route mapping. The aim was to cover no more than 400-450km a day. A previous trip in the pre-911 days had seen us cover up to ~725km in one hit, we knew that was just too much to make an enjoyable trip for us both.

All in all a manageable ~1,805 miles or ~2,905 kilometers were covered over 9 days, with 2 nights in Reims (champagne tour of course ) and 3 nights in Innsbruck (small city with a cool vibe).

On to some photos, starting with the almost obligatory one:

Name:  2RI25NB.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  401.7 KB

Name:  quEpZxw.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  427.2 KB

Not too many photos along the B500 - it was so enjoyable - free flowing, fast moving roads with sweeping bends... we covered most of it without stopping . Certainly lived up to expectations and it definitely won't be the last time we visit the Black Forest 8).

On our way into Lake Constance, we came across a pleasant surprise. We'd earlier seen a blacked out Porsche '992 test mule' absolutely flying - I'd not seen a vehicle move so quick 'in the wild' for a long time. Turns out we were heading into the same town, so after we caught him up and swapped a headlight flash/hazard light exchange, stopped at a petrol station:

Name:  CE6V93z.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  700.2 KB

Name:  VP1uGsl.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  545.0 KB

He was indeed a test driver for Porsche and a very friendly one at that. They have felt coverings which they have to apply across the whole of the dash, centre console, door cards, etc. whenever parked up to prevent uninvited photos. The 992 has an interesting dash/gauge .

A quick comparison...

Name:  zeoalqM.jpg
Size:  545.3 KB

Name:  S8vwxYE.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  470.8 KB

I preferred mine...

Onto the Lake, a nice buzz at the waterfront and a perfect place to eat/drink/relax after the B500...

Name:  dxDabWF.jpg
Size:  522.7 KB

Name:  QHXECGI.jpg
Size:  427.4 KB

Name:  Aqsi3Be.jpg
Size:  370.1 KB

Name:  oGFpIbo.jpg
Size:  611.7 KB

Heading into Austria, the scenary became rather spectacular...

Name:  OM0dS1m.jpg
Size:  494.3 KB

Name:  n7itAB5.jpg
Size:  613.8 KB

Name:  MYY8RH8.jpg
Size:  663.8 KB

Name:  l6Ts75i.jpg
Size:  768.6 KB

Hahntennjoch Pass definitely lived up to it's dangerous roads tag; at times the pass can get quite narrow and often without any barriers, pretty intricate, and not too many overtaking opportunities (unlike the B500). This technical nature of the road, with its very tight back to back hairpins coupled with a steep ascent at pace, meant I worried about grounding out a few times! It was a thrilling drive with some breathtaking views along the way .

Name:  1kWRiLq.jpg
Size:  656.6 KB

Name:  XiQXPQV.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  344.7 KB

Name:  aq7oX8F.jpg
Size:  585.9 KB

In fact the route we took leading into the Hahntennjoch Pass was just as enjoyable & memorable - catch the 200 from Müselbach and follow it into the 198 around Warth all the way until Elmen for the pass .

Innsbruck:

Name:  0pF8mlk.jpg
Size:  179.6 KB

Next up, the Grossglockner High Alpine Road. Not much more to say other than it lived up to the billing of one of the best driving roads in Europe . Definitely allow more time than you think; you'll be stopping more often than you expect to take in the phenomenal landscape... The change in weather from bottom to top was also quite dramatic!

Name:  VVEaLnV.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  578.6 KB

Name:  S4IolcQ.jpg
Size:  442.3 KB

Name:  YgSAGTA.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  630.9 KB

We headed back into Germany via the Autobahn where the 993 managed to stretched it's legs - satisfying to know that despite it's age, performed well and remained pretty stable at high speed.

Name:  25C9RSQ.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  378.3 KB

I think the car feels better for it!

Finally, we stopped at Reims-Gueux on the way back to Calais...

Name:  bKoL0uu.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  553.8 KB

Name:  GDw3uwL.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  489.1 KB

Finishing with 2 of my favoured images from the trip:

Name:  DvuSNr5.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  588.6 KB

Difficult not to be impressed with the 993's curves from above :

Name:  T8cMJbH.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  712.9 KB

The tone of the trip was set from the outbound Eurotunnel; a gentleman from the next carriage up came over to check out 993 during the journey. Lots of appreciating nods of the head or waves were exchanged across France/Germany/Austria which was quite cool too .

Along the way, we saw a handful of pre-'89 911s, maybe 8 to 10 964s out and about, and maybe 20+ 997s (by far the most friendliest, always offering a wave! ) ...but only ONE 993 - a stunning French plated C2S in Arctic Silver. Where are the others all hiding?

We're so glad we did the trip, we came back buzzing - whilst it wasn't a relaxing break there was a real sense of adventure. Massively relieved the car behaved, too (I carry a spare DME relay in the car, but other than that... ).

In future we hope to experience either the Spanish Pyrenees or the Italian Dolomites. Hopefully both!

Last edited by ch3tman; 06-23-2018 at 03:50 AM. Reason: correction to order of route!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts

Great photos! Must have been very cool running into the 992 while driving your 993.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:09 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

You should make a calendar out of your photos. You certainly have a great eye for epic photos.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:07 PM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Those pictures are beautiful. I am pretty envious of the trip (I have an Aventura 993 also) but doubt I will ever do anything like that. I am still amazed how big the new 911's are compared to our 993's. Thanks for posting everything. I would agree that you could do one nice calendar!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:49 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

Awesome!
Old 06-23-2018, 03:41 AM
ch3tman
Racer

Originally Posted by Brig993
Great photos! Must have been very cool running into the 992 while driving your 993.
Absolutely! Though my wife didn't quite understand the excitement... That said, the comparison does underline just how big and bloated the newer cars are..!

Originally Posted by drodg
Those pictures are beautiful. I am pretty envious of the trip (I have an Aventura 993 also) but doubt I will ever do anything like that. I am still amazed how big the new 911's are compared to our 993's. Thanks for posting everything. I would agree that you could do one nice calendar!
Originally Posted by IHTFP
You should make a calendar out of your photos. You certainly have a great eye for epic photos.
In truth I am very much an amateur who uses a 7 year old m4/3 camera body with a single pancake/prime lens (not very flexible kit but this combination means it's easily portable which encourages me to take the camera with me in the first place!). With this in mind, thanks so much for your extremely generous comments - very kind!

Originally Posted by Cactus
Awesome!

Last edited by ch3tman; 06-23-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 AM
ch3tman
Racer

In late July, Luftgekühlt crossed the Atlantic for the first time and landed at Bicester Heritage. Described as:

In the Porsche vernacular, Luftgekühlt represents all the air-cooled cars in the manufacturer’s history, from the Pre-A 356 through the 993 model line, which ended in 1998.

The Luftgekühlt brand is the brainchild of two-time Le Mans class winner Patrick Long and noted Southern California creative director Howie Idelson. A true Porsche happening, Luftgekühlt is an experiential car culture event centered around a tightly curated list of historically significant or interesting cars, both race and street. There's no set formula for our events, but we're excited by cool venues, fun people, and creative expression, so you can bet those elements will always be in our recipe.
More info here: https://luftgekuhlt.com/

Name:  c2zpJcC.jpg
Size:  70.7 KB

Despite a 24hr downpour in the middle of 'the heatwave of 2018', the event was really enjoyable with several iconic Porsche present - quite easily the most impressive I've seen - stunning eye candy behind every corner . Many images can be found using the tag #LuftGB - I posted a few here: instagram.com www.instagram.com/ch3tman/.

Here are two images of my 993 from the day:

Name:  CLUJ8Ue.jpg
Size:  124.2 KB
^courtesy of Yellow Hound Photography

Name:  txSADSl.jpg
Size:  124.9 KB
^courtesy of Jason Easton Photography

Last edited by ch3tman; 11-10-2021 at 06:32 AM.

Quick Reply: The beginning of an Aventura Adventure ..continued