Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:44 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks all .

Originally Posted by fatmike
Fantastic car.

To clarify on stance, 993's came to the US with extra height. Many of us lower our cars to the RoW (rest of the world). So your ride height is "lowered" by US standards./
Many thanks for clarifying, I now understand the 'stance' comment above .

Originally Posted by tangram
Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
That is a really nice example you have. Agreed, the retrim really looks fantastic.
-
Enjoy your fantastic machine. You have some great B-roads that are begging to be enjoyed.
Thanks for the kind words - indeed there are some awesome B-roads here to be enjoyed.... when it's not raining! .
Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is one VERY clean looking 993. Congrats!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:24 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Looks amazing! The interior looks incredible!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:24 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great car, WOW that interior looks minty fresh!!! So all the seats were reupholstered? by who in Germany?
Old 05-27-2014, 05:26 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations and welcome That interior is pristine! Enjoy.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow nice car. Beautiful interior and enjoy the drive. These cars sure are amazing rain or shine. It may just be a personal opinion but I feel the colour you have chosen is one of the better. Mind you all of the colours aren't too bad.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:19 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Originally Posted by nr1416
Great car, WOW that interior looks minty fresh!!! So all the seats were reupholstered? by who in Germany?
The interior work was carried out by Rühl Leder GmbH, at the request of the German owner of the car in late 2009. The main two items appearing on the invoice are sitze inkl. kopfstützen [seats including headrests] and seitenteile [side panels/door cards], although clearly the steering wheel and gear shifter have also been re-trimmed in the same 'soft touch' leather. I can sense it will become worn quite quickly/easily however, tips appreciated on how to best treat it.

Originally Posted by lopro
These cars sure are amazing rain or shine. It may just be a personal opinion but I feel the colour you have chosen is one of the better. Mind you all of the colours aren't too bad.
Thank you - I agree completely on all points .

Ecstatic to finally be part of the ownership community .
Old 05-30-2014, 02:52 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car congrats!
Old 05-31-2014, 05:43 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

beautiful, beautiful car! congrats. you are in good company on this board. not many NB C4's either...well done.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:28 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Default Update!

As I bought my 993 in early April this year and thought I'd share some thoughts and photos now that, in 10 weeks, I've covered 1.5k miles.

I'm using the car as frequently as I can and any initial doubts I had around whether it could be used as a daily if needed were soon put to rest. There is no doubt a standard 993 can be very civilised when needed .

There were a few items I wanted to address as soon as I could and the past 10 weeks has seen completion of those essentials:

- 4 x Michelin Pilot Sport 2
- 2 x Alarm stickers from Hamilton & Palmer
- T-Light HID kit courtesy of Tore
- 24k Service [inc. plugs]
- MOT

Next up I'm really tempted to go for Tore's rear LED kit too. The HIDs are really impressive and I think in absence of a third brake light on the rear, LEDs will really help not only freshen up the look, but also provide other drivers greater awareness of the small 993 on the road. I'm also contemplating the Hollamby Bypass / Hayward and Scott bypass / Gundo Hack - although this really is a 'nice to have' so can wait... I think .

We returned from a trip to North Wales yesterday, and whilst it wasn't a 'driving tour', many of the roads provided much fun, and the chance to get to know the car better . The highlight was probably the area around Horseshoe Pass:

The 993 also had the chance to rest alongside a fellow classic for a couple of nights:

Name:  reGgE3X.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  105.9 KB

Whilst I am still getting accustomed to the rear weight bias of the car, especially having come from a front-mid-rear layout, one thing has become clear... more so since the mini roadtrip: the greater the pace the car carries the more 'together' it feels, and it all starts to make sense... .
Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 PM
luft
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default aventurine green fabulous

yes also my favored color on the 993 congrats
Old 05-15-2016, 11:56 AM
ch3tman
Racer

Default 2 year update

It’s been a while, so time for an update!

Just over 2 years into ownership sees ~10.5k miles covered. The car was acquired to be driven & enjoyed and I’m glad I’ve managed to do just that. Yes that includes all weather driving, all year round - considered blasphemous by many fellow owners here I’m sure, but I didn’t buy it to keep locked away in the garage…

The downside is it does of course get quite filthy…:

Name:  be2pdQH.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  519.9 KB

Name:  I5HKW7X.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  571.7 KB

Name:  zc8PDvG.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  721.1 KB

Name:  VD2z6ec.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  761.7 KB

Since the last update, apart from scheduled servicing, a few items have been addressed when time and budget have allowed:

- Full AC diagnostic [showing no problems, full regas carried out]
- Suspension refresh [Bilstein B6 + H&R springs + full geo]
- DME relay [didn’t have a spare, the fear got to me]
- New bonnet struts
- RS Steering Wheel
- HVAC diagnostic followed new footwell mixer servo/mixing flap motor
- New brake discs & pads on all corners [Sebro + Textar]

A reminder of how the car sat on the tired factory suspension:

Name:  jSxeT2I.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  580.6 KB

Name:  N9Jm9Kv.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  394.7 KB

…and how it sits now….

The aim was to firm up the ride and fill the arches better; the height was set to RS+10, give or take factory tolerances, and geo was completed to Sport specification via Beissbarth set up. I’m very happy with the outcome as the objectives were fully met!

One area that I was struggling with was the size of the steering wheel. Put simply, at 380mm, it just felt too big to impose full control in the tighter corners. I’d contemplated the RS wheel for quite some time and finally went for it .

A reminder of how it looked before, with the retrimmed 4-spoker:

Name:  53L4Qj9.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  586.5 KB

Name:  5li6u38.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  534.4 KB

Name:  YKoua98.jpg
Size:  433.7 KB

…and how it looks now…

Name:  dY19Lc9.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  484.1 KB

Name:  EBFwjMS.jpg
Size:  396.7 KB

Name:  MZzHwvf.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  442.1 KB

I really shouldn’t have waited this long to make the change - am kicking myself for it - the new wheel is pretty much perfect in so many respects; size, tough, weight… its spot on! Really pleased with how it looks at home amongst the other retrimmed interior too .

Speaking of the interior, it’s still holding up really well which is fantastic:

Name:  IHK0gLs.jpg
Size:  638.0 KB

Name:  k2JfqjY.jpg
Size:  523.5 KB

Name:  yJH6Frh.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  528.4 KB

We all know how good the brakes are on these cars, and I hope the new components will now last for many years to come. Interestingly, the reason for the refresh was not down to wear, but rather corrosion to the inner faces of the discs - something that had been flagged on past MOTs and services, and hence always on the ‘to do’ list.

Finally, taking advantage of the recent drier weather, the car benefited from a deserved and overdue clean last weekend:

Name:  rCHNYxn.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  1,014.3 KB

Name:  lN1JOQw.jpg
Size:  925.7 KB

Name:  NkfiVAC.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  1,017.1 KB

Old 05-15-2016, 01:35 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Beautiful car and glad you're USING it. Narrow-body coupe is my favourite 993 flavour and yours looks perfect with its ride height and Cup II wheels.

Thanks for the updates and of course the pics.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Lovely!
Old 05-15-2016, 03:14 PM
agonzaga36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ch3tman
ItÂ’s been a while, so time for an update!

Just over 2 years into ownership sees ~10.5k miles covered. The car was acquired to be driven & enjoyed and IÂ’m glad IÂ’ve managed to do just that. Yes that includes all weather driving, all year round - considered blasphemous by many fellow owners here IÂ’m sure, but I didnÂ’t buy it to keep locked away in the garageÂ…

The downside is it does of course get quite filthyÂ…:

Since the last update, apart from scheduled servicing, a few items have been addressed when time and budget have allowed:

- Full AC diagnostic [showing no problems, full regas carried out]
- Suspension refresh [Bilstein B6 + H&R springs + full geo]
- DME relay [didnÂ’t have a spare, the fear got to me]
- New bonnet struts
- RS Steering Wheel
- HVAC diagnostic followed new footwell mixer servo/mixing flap motor
- New brake discs & pads on all corners [Sebro + Textar]

A reminder of how the car sat on the tired factory suspension:

Â…and how it sits nowÂ….

The aim was to firm up the ride and fill the arches better; the height was set to RS+10, give or take factory tolerances, and geo was completed to Sport specification via Beissbarth set up. IÂ’m very happy with the outcome as the objectives were fully met!

One area that I was struggling with was the size of the steering wheel. Put simply, at 380mm, it just felt too big to impose full control in the tighter corners. IÂ’d contemplated the RS wheel for quite some time and finally went for it .

A reminder of how it looked before, with the retrimmed 4-spoker:

Â…and how it looks nowÂ…

I really shouldnÂ’t have waited this long to make the change - am kicking myself for it - the new wheel is pretty much perfect in so many respects; size, tough, weightÂ… its spot on! Really pleased with how it looks at home amongst the other retrimmed interior too .

Speaking of the interior, itÂ’s still holding up really well which is fantastic:

We all know how good the brakes are on these cars, and I hope the new components will now last for many years to come. Interestingly, the reason for the refresh was not down to wear, but rather corrosion to the inner faces of the discs - something that had been flagged on past MOTs and services, and hence always on the ‘to do’ list.

Finally, taking advantage of the recent drier weather, the car benefited from a deserved and overdue clean last weekend:

Nice update. Nice ride height. How many fingers can u fit between the tire and front fender? Thanks!

Quick Reply: The beginning of an Aventura Adventure ..continued