Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The beginning of an Aventura Adventure ..continued

Old 05-18-2016, 11:33 AM
ch3tman
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Beautiful car and glad you're USING it. Narrow-body coupe is my favourite 993 flavour and yours looks perfect with its ride height and Cup II wheels.

Thanks for the updates and of course the pics.
Many thanks for your comments - I'm really pleased with the ride height. From time to time I do get tempted by the Tramont Cup wheels but tend to conclude the Cup II wheels look 'just right'. I also woudn't want to upset the ride quality too much in switching up to 18s.

Originally Posted by Enso
Lovely!

Originally Posted by agonzaga36
Nice update. Nice ride height. How many fingers can u fit between the tire and front fender? Thanks!
Thank you Well, if I answer that, maybe the next question will be how fat are my fingers? The best way to compare heights, I believe, is by using the chassis points as per Bill Verburg's posts:

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
993 height measuring points

specs
For reference, mine sits at RS+10mm or so (give or take factory tolerances).
Old 06-06-2017, 05:06 PM
ch3tman
Instructor

Earlier this year, I managed to join the Tramont Cup Club . In fact, I ordered them in December 2016, waited for the worst of winter to pass, and had them mounted in March.

There was lots of great info posted on Rennlist which helped my decision making, including those by Magdaddy and alps. But special thanks goes to these guys:

Originally Posted by Jlaa

Originally Posted by 405

Both Jlaa & 405 were extremely helpful especially via PM, sharing extensive detail about their respective setups, recommendations, and supply of endless photos to help me make a decision... not to mention having the patience to put up with and respond to my silly questions - very much appreciated, thank you!

Whilst many tend to opt for an aggressive offset to achieve the deep-dish look, I went for the same size/offsets as the factory Speedlines, to ensure no fitment issues. Plus I'm not a fan of the super deep-dish look...

The spec:

F: 8*18 ET52 on 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres
R: 10*18 ET65 on 265/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres

The first pics taken in March:

Name:  oTyjFE2.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  675.6 KB

Name:  fOEdvUC.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  520.1 KB

Name:  hNQWi3E.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  656.3 KB

Name:  s3wU9C0.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  542.2 KB

I was and still am undecided on centre caps (coloured crests vs black and white) so by default I'm running without at the moment , especially as it seems there are no adverse risks of running without.

Hope to take some better photos once the car is back from its annual service, hopefully summer will have arrived too .

Last edited by ch3tman; 06-06-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Lovely! I am pleased to see that this turned out well for you. I'm partial to monochrome center caps on an Av green car and I changed out the hood crest to monochrome black/pewter to match.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Your car is great. I vote for black/silver caps.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the write-up, your 993 looks great, especially the interior. Did Porsche in Germany re-do the interior?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:58 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Your car is great. I vote for black/silver caps.
+1 pics of my 95 C2 also Av Green with black / silver caps

Old 06-08-2017, 12:12 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

God I love that color!!!!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:23 PM
ch3tman
Instructor

An update covering some of this year's work...

Following on from the new wheels, I was still undecided on coloured crests or black and white, but picked up a set of the latter and will see how I like them over the coming months...

Name:  wAnIxcV.jpg
Size:  887.1 KB

Old and new...

Name:  f40rbgt.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  399.9 KB

Name:  jyYQ9nd.jpg
Size:  366.1 KB

I had been after a set of new set of headlight lens for a while to help freshen up the front end, and it really makes a significant difference! The downside of having newish indicator corners and headlights is the foglight cluster now looks a little dated... contemplating whether to simply replace like for like, or go for an alternative ducting arrangement.

Name:  BNcMYIG.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  465.0 KB

Then came some more significant work...
I wanted to have the clutch replaced due to it still being the original one, and despite there being no signs of slippage, we had a planned a roadtrip for late summer (which sadly ended up being pushed to next year) and wanted the car to be tip top. The spark plugs were only changed around 15k miles ago in 2013 during the car's first service in my ownership, but with the engine being dropped, we took the chance to do a full 24k service.

The scope of activities therefore became:

- 24k service incl. plugs, fuel filter, etc.
- Clutch
- RMS
- Engine lid struts
- New engine bay insulation/sound pad - better solution than the 'motorraumdämmmattenleiste' aka tidy strip!
- Engine mounts
- Lower wishbone
- New battery [Bosch S5 096] - with the roadtrip in mind more than anything else

Allowing my wallet to recover a little , I took advantage of the recent mild weather and the car was washed & waxed ahead of the upcoming wetter months.
It will continue to be used through winter - and I really look forward to it .

Name:  3gbeRNo.jpg
Size:  670.9 KB

Name:  sQA6wjF.jpg
Size:  478.7 KB

Name:  ceXemSx.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  450.8 KB

Name:  4JZSZhh.jpg
Size:  658.6 KB

Name:  qOpsGUE.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  678.5 KB

Name:  9aoepUw.jpg
Size:  300.8 KB

In my mind, this year's activities marks the end of a lot of the big ticket items I had planned when I first acquired the car: Brakes, Suspension, Transmission. Phew....

What's next? I'd really like to visit Wayne at ChipWizards - the UK's go-to guy for live mapping - the feedback speaks for itself!
Old 04-15-2018, 07:12 PM
ch3tman
Instructor

A small 'winter 2017' update, covering 2 items that had remained on the 'nice to have' list since ownership began.

Firstly, sound deadening of door cars and a much needed upgrade of speakers. Whilst the tweeters were the original factory Nokia units, the mid-range/woofers in the doors (as well as those in the rear/parcel shelf) had been upgraded to a set of Pioneer units several years ago when the Becker Grand Prix was installed. Out came the fronts and in went, along with a set of new speaker grills, a set of components: Hertz ESK165 They may not blow away our resident audiophile's, but they are massive improvement in terms of sound quality . The other contenders were the Audison Prima APK165, though I was advised whilst they are better performing for the mid-higher frequencies, you may find them lacking in the low end and hence would benefit from a separate/dedicated sub-woofer. I opted against going down the amplifier and sub-woofer route, and so far, no regrets!

Along with the speakers, sound deadening in the form of Skinz Pro 2mm/Skinz Wave Diffuser/Skinz Liner 6mm was installed to address road noise and improve acoustics.

Out...
Name:  W0rEeDk.jpg
Size:  548.7 KB

In...
Name:  0WeKTfX.jpg
Size:  137.0 KB

Name:  MMp0J5N.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  154.6 KB

Name:  CcK9MsY.jpg
Size:  194.9 KB

Name:  wY8mAGZ.jpg
Size:  178.7 KB

Name:  kxYJ4u5.jpg
Size:  183.4 KB

Name:  6gs1rZ0.jpg
Size:  167.6 KB

Secondly, I finally managed to get the car booked in with Wayne Schofield at ChipWizards for a live remap session. Not sure what else I can add to the overwhleming feedback he's already received from the community - he's clearly passionate about what he does - backed up by phenomenal knowledge and ability - whilst being happy to educate along the way.

Results as follows:

Name:  tkxwLhQ.jpg
Size:  273.9 KB

Pleased with the delta! I should add I'm still waiting for the torque figures...:roll:. The most noticeable benefit has been the way power is delivered across the rev range, feels 'opened up' a little and generally very smooth and linear - especially low end - no juddering both when coming on and off the throttle.
The long drive home was... enjoyable .

Next month welcomes tax, MOT and the annual service. Due to work and travel, the car has only seen ~1k miles since the last service, but there is most certainly a plan to pile on the miles this year...
Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking car. You are right the aventurines are pretty rare. I like mine quite a bit too. When I first saw it in the showroom, I was underwhelmed, but when clean and outside, it looked completely different!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:03 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
Great looking car. You are right the aventurines are pretty rare. I like mine quite a bit too. When I first saw it in the showroom, I was underwhelmed, but when clean and outside, it looked completely different!
I have the same experience ---- the color is underwhelming when not well kept and in unflattering light. However, if the paint is well kept and viewed outside, especially with one's own two eyes on a sunny day, it is the *best* color. :-) Aventura Green is the connoisseur's choice. :-)

BTW - ch3tman --- good to see this progress on your car. I noted that the interior metal of your door is coated with primer (?). I remember when I was working on the interior of my doors (a '96 model year) it was body color. Just an observation.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:37 PM
ch3tman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jlaa
BTW - ch3tman --- good to see this progress on your car. I noted that the interior metal of your door is coated with primer (?). I remember when I was working on the interior of my doors (a '96 model year) it was body color. Just an observation.
Interesting point, Jlaa! Something I'd not noticed myself. A quick search online shows up a few more examples (1 , 2 , 3) with the middle section of the inner skin without body colour. These three examples (plus mine), incidentally are C16 cars in case that has an bearing on matters. There are also plenty of images online showing the inner skin completely body coloured per your photo. So I'm really not sure what would be considered factory standard. Above all, I suppose we should accept our cars - now at 23 years old - will have seen paint during their lifetime!
Old 04-24-2018, 02:12 PM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Love this thread and just saw it this am. I too own an Aventura green 96 993 and I still think it is a beautiful color. Especially outside and the 993 is clean. Thanks so much for your posts etc.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:14 PM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default My Aventura green this weekend in the garage

Old 04-24-2018, 05:13 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

OP - thanks for the updates. Cool to read the timeline of mods, you have a v nice car. I'm one of those lurkers that visits RL every day and never contribute myself. I appreciate the time to you take share so I have something for my coffee breaks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The beginning of an Aventura Adventure ..continued