Sponsored by:

OT: Mini Cooper or New Beetle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 01:22 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT: Mini Cooper or New Beetle?

If this is too off topic I apologize, but I suspect some of you folks have valuable experience with both these cars.

Need to decide within the next couple of days between a new Mini Cooper CVT (continuously variable transmission) or a VW New Beetle 1.8 Turbo with Tiptronic. The car will be driven year-round in the Midwest, primarily by my wife to and from work about 30 mi. per day on 45 mph roads.

Will consider either a sunroof coupe or a convertible with the VW; Cooper would be a sunroof coupe. Priorities are reliability, resale value and fun to drive. Will likely keep the car two to three years.

Any opinions or words of wisdom to share?? Any input appreciated, also feel free to e-mail me directly. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:09 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bob...

I've heard mixed things about both the Beetle and the Mini cooper. I suspect that if your time frame is just 2 years ( and most likely you are leasing it ), then the reliability, resale, etc doesn't really factor in.

Which one do you like better? I would think that the mini cooper would be a more fun car to drive. I've also heard there is a waiting list for the Mini and longer for the cooper S.

On another note, I got some personal issues with both the new Beetle and new Mini. Both those cars represent a "generation" and time that has been repackaged and remarketed. And the product that was produced doesn't come close to having the same impact when the cars originally came out.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:43 AM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No brainer if there ever was one-- Mini Cooper. This question is like asking which should I get a 996 or 993-- a 993 of course!
Old 08-04-2003, 03:13 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven both pretty extensively and would take the Mini Cooper S over the Beetle any day.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Be careful about the cvt - its fuel consumption is as low as 13mpg - something that BMW dont/wont tell you!

Caused a bit of a stir here in the UK, but the sotry was simply quashed by the media and the BMW press machine. But some journos still grumble about it..

As for us, we're getting a manual Cooper next month - so that answers your question!
Old 08-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd get the beetle.

Mini is probably better but new beetle was first one to do this retro thing and that's a big plus.

Now they're all doing it (PT, Mini, T-Bird, Mustang, GT-40...) and you gotta hate that.

And I'm w/ Jeff,
none of them will never be even close what the original was. Never.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Remember guys, this will really be my wife's car--I will drive it some, but she will be logging most of the miles on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, she doesn't really know or care about either car's history. She is attracted to both of these cars simply by their looks, and both are short enough to fit into a very small garage space that we have available for this car.

Jeff, I won't be leasing the car, it's just that I know from past experience that the car nut in me will probably want to shuffle around the cars in the family stable within two or three years.

I am leaning towards the Cooper (among other things, the turn-in is unreal) but the VW feels more substantial and the turbo gives it an oomph that the Cooper just can't muster...this is a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't the Cooper S have some oomph to it? I would definitely go with the MINI. It has all the engineering features and quality of a BMW and I think it does justice to its roots a lot more so than does the new Beetle to its predecessor.

My 81 yr. old grandmother just got rid of her new Beetle for a MINI. Of course, my dad talked her into a lot of options since he's likely to "inherit" the car. No contest - MINIs rock and I also think they're about the best bang for the buck out there, as far as style, performance, appearance and fun go.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

The mini is more fun to drive - by far...

The Beetle has the best crash rating of any car in that class - by far...

How well does your wife drive ? ;-)
Old 08-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I would definitely vote for the Mini! I just don't like the VW UNLESS it's an orange convertible or beige convertible with the beige top and beige boot cover!!! I saw them both at the NY auto show and they are awesome looking.

Truly, to me, the Mini says sportiness, coolness, total funkiness all over it. When I see a Beetle, I think - well, I'll keep those comments to myself. I'll just say that the Mini looks great, drives tighter, would offer a more sporting performance and handling, and you can get it in some outstanding color combos. I saw this guy yesterday who was wearing all blue and white - and his Mini was blue with a white top... it looked so dramatic, the two of them together.

I also saw my first yellow one yesterday that had a white top and white stripes on the yellow hood. Wayyyyy cool.

My 2 cents.
Steve
Old 08-04-2003, 11:06 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Bob D.

Didn't the Mini recently rank among the worst in the JD POwer survey of initial ownership quality and reliability? Saw something a few weeks ago on msn.com.

You may want to investigate this. How about the Audi A4 with Quattro?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I met two owners at our veterinarian one day and they were swapping stories about how great and reliable their Mini cars were. They were amazed by the little things! BUT, their dealers were very far from their homes. Something to consider. They might be VERY far from your home too.

Steve
Old 08-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Bob:

FWIW, my spouse just got an '03 turbo beetle. She considered the Mini, but the Beetle had the feel of a lot more room. ALso, she was more comfortable with the VW name over the newly formed "Mini" badge. We had concerns about BMW's commitment to the "Mini" badge if sales slump. Sort of the Buick/Opel/Izuzu thing...

If you further consider the Beetle, look for a "concept color" option turbo. It is a great value if you find one without dealer markup !

Another point I think is worth echoing, this is the "wife's" car. As much fun as us 993 owners might have with the Mini's responsive handling, should not this really be about what your spouse is looking for???

Best of luck with your choice.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:30 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Which is a safer car? I think VW...
Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 PM
NRK
Advanced

I'll echo others. Just bought a New Beetle convertible for my wife, trading an aging 540i. It tracks pretty well, though probably not like a Mini, which I suggested but did not test. It also rides pretty well, which I gather the Mini does NOT.

Bottom line: She loves it. Great curb appeal, gives her 'happy feelings' all day long. And that's what it's all about, right?

Quick Reply: OT: Mini Cooper or New Beetle?