993 Forum 1995-1998

Blipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blipping

I watched Porsche video today depicting as new GT3 makes its performance on Leipzig track. I noticed that the driver blips every-time he slowed down at the corner...just before he was downshifting.
What is the main purpose for this technique?
When I downshift I noticed it is sometimes hard to get the shift-stick from/to the gear. If I press the clutch (to the floor) while being at the gear, blip, keeping the clutch pressed (to the floor) shift out and to another gear (ussualy downshift) eliminates the difficulties of shifting at low RPM.
When I up-shift...like from second to third to fourth...there are no difficulties to get the shift out/to the gear...so no blipping required....as opposite to downshifting..
My guess that when I up-shift (accelerate the car) then the revs are kept high ( I am accelerating).
When downshift..the revs are low....so blipping before shifting out and into the gear "mimics" the up-shifting...by increasing the revs...

As a side note..it sounds great ...i mean blipping...kinda sporty...aggressive mix of sounds...

but how bad is this blipping to the clutch...?
Old 08-03-2003, 09:11 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

The purpose is to make life easier for the clutch by reving the engine to approximately the right speed for the next gear down. You should spend less time out of gear this way too.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Here is what I mean

1: Approaching the stop light at third gear. Still being at third gear gently pushing the brakes. Revs drop to 2000 - time to shift out of third gear and shift into the second gear.
2: Still being at third gear press the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it pressed. Blip. Revs increase for a second and drop down again. Still keeping the clutch pedal pressed to the floor - shift out the third gear and down into the second.
3: Release the clutch pedal and push to the gas.

If i follow these steps I never experience the difficulties of shifting.

What graham_mitchell says is matching the revs while downshifting. Completely different thing. When you match the REVs for downshifting we assume the REVs are high already - so no "lo-rpm difficulties" while shifting...something I described above.

I am sorry...may be I am not using word "blipping" as it is supposed to be used.
By "blipping" i mean pushing the gas pedal for a duration of second. Short pushing of the gas pedal toward the floor...as soon as desired RPMs reached - quick release of the gas pedal.
All thing takes one second.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:39 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

I think this not an easy thing to describe but from what you have written, it sounds as if it is what I was also describing. While the clutch is in, you blip the throttle to raise the revs and change the gear at the same time. Finally you let the clutch back out while the revs are still higher than they were. If you get the revs right there will be no shudder from the engine or gearbox as you drop the clutch.

I do this whenever I have to change down a gear.

Sorry if I still misunderstood...
Old 08-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Let's make the thing easier...

Would you blip just before you shift out of the third gear to shift into the NEUTRAL?...as follow:

1. You are at the third gear. Braking. Revs are at 2000.
2. Push the clutch pedal to the floor.
3. Blipping shortly. Revs raise and drop down to minimum (the clutch still at the floor).
4. Shift out of the third gear into the NEUTRAL.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Sometimes... the gearstick occasionally seems to stick in gear, and I found that rather than forcing it out, reving the engine a little solves the problem.

I am going to be taking notes next time I drive
Old 08-04-2003, 04:24 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey Sputnik,

Just want to add. Blipping is a very important technique to use when driving a manual. As stated earlier, you need to match revs when downshifting. This makes the shift smooth and helps you avoid "unsettling" the car when shifting. If you just throw your clutch you are causing a drastic change in what your wheels are doing, this can cause some unexpected surprises like loss of control.

But lest go a step further.

HEEL N TOE downshifting...

Since we know that blipping makes your engine match speeds at downshift it's also important to know how and when to use it. Blipping should be used while braking. You simulatnieously are braking and applying throttle.
So with the inside of your right foot your depressing the brake and using the outside of the same foot, your blipping the thottle. That is what you are hearing in the race video.
The driver is braking and blipping all at the same time. It is a great technique to learn and is most necessary for aggressive driving. Fast is smooth and HEEL N TOE/Blipping is necessary for smooth driving.
If your ever in the L.A. area, drop me a line. I'd be happy to teach you the technique on the road. And it becomes very natural to do just like driving stick.

B
Old 08-04-2003, 08:30 AM
Jan_M
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When driving old manual cars, you also blip. This is because they usually don't have synchronisation rings. Blipping puts a lot less stress on your gearbox by putting gears and engine at the same rotation speed.

Are you guys often blipping your car into 1st? No effect on your tranny?

Rgds,

jan
Old 08-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by B-Line
...But lest go a step further.

HEEL N TOE downshifting...
And then there's double clutching which is even better than "just" HEEL N TOEing.

Sputnik,

Once the search works, try and you'll see lot of post about these.

Quick Reply: Blipping