Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another front license plate install......

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another front license plate install......

Recently I have been pulled over several times now by the same local police officer and each time he was kind enough to give me a warning. I am thinking I may be running out of warnings......
For years now I have been thinking what would be the best option and even though I like the tow hook design it still takes away from the clean look on the nose.
The plate needs to be somewhat hidden so the only option really is the way Mike J. and Baron went.
I am not sure on the details how they did their install. And I believe they had to trim the plate which I was hoping I didn't have to do. So I removed the grill and noticed by cutting out the center section the plate would fit perfectly behind it.
All that was required to do was cutting some narrow slits on the back side for zapstraps and bob is your uncle!
So below are some pictures of what I did and re-installing the grill with the full plate mounted went without much trouble.
I'd like to play with a few options to conceal the plate and will share that later.
Anyways just sharing.......

Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

hans,
Very tidy solution! Can you take a pic from a few yards away and post it?

Andreas
Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 PM
n.dino
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice solution, any pictures from further out?

I just got 2 tickets this month for this. I'm switching to a classic car insurance this month and will try to fight it in court. I wonder if cars that are considered "classic" are required to have a front plate.
FYI: I'm in NY.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:50 AM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

further out:

Old 05-08-2014, 02:24 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great Hans!! Did you have to cut the centre section out of the grille to get he plate to fit??
Old 05-08-2014, 02:30 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that solution, but I wouldn't do it unless the grill part is still available to get it back to stock.

Did you check on availability and price for that plastic grill?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 AM
jlenze
Rennlist Member

Looks like a nice solution to your situation. When I moved to Pennsylvania and registered my cars the Dept. of Motor Vehicles gave me only 1 Plate. I asked her why only 1 plate, to which she responded " In Pennsylvania the police only chase you from behind."

Next you will be told your plate is not fully visible!!!

Best Jack

Last edited by jlenze; 05-08-2014 at 04:39 AM. Reason: left out word
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

that is a very clean look for those with a turbo nose. I didn't cutout any section of the grill, just trimmed the tabs on the bumpercover in that center section. The plate is sandwhiched between the black grill, and bumpercover.

Many States have laws against any plate obstruction, that included even frames around them. New York State is one such wonderful place. Chances are pretty good that if they wanna write you a ticket for a "partially obscured" plate, there's no talking your way out of it anyway.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2014, 10:37 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
that is a very clean look for those with a turbo nose. I didn't cutout any section of the grill, just trimmed the tabs on the bumpercover in that center section. The plate is sandwhiched between the black grill, and bumpercover.

Many States have laws against any plate obstruction, that included even frames around them. New York State is one such wonderful place. Chances are pretty good that if they wanna write you a ticket for a "partially obscured" plate, there's no talking your way out of it anyway.
My front plate is in the same place, however I adjusted the plate, rather than the car. As soon as I get it out to PA from IL, the front plate goes in the trash.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:18 AM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Make sure your plate doenst hide anything

At least here you cant have anything obscuring any portion of the plate...ridiculous

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...cmp=latestnews
Old 05-08-2014, 11:26 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

I read some weeks ago that someone photo copied their front tag then put it on vinyl. It was then adhered to the curvature of the nose. Clever but risky Lol!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The vinyl solution here in BC seems to generate tickets.

I guess the advantage of Han's solution is that you do not cut the plate - which you can get a ticket for here in BC. , but the disadvantage is the grill needs to be cut as well as removed. Great alternative!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-08-2014, 03:05 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Looks great Hans!! Did you have to cut the centre section out of the grille to get he plate to fit??
Yes I cut out the center section out of the grill - then grind'd the plastic back to flush with the edges and angled the slats.

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
I like that solution, but I wouldn't do it unless the grill part is still available to get it back to stock.

Did you check on availability and price for that plastic grill?
A replacement grill is about $36 and currently there are about 15 of them in the US.

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
that is a very clean look for those with a turbo nose. I didn't cutout any section of the grill, just trimmed the tabs on the bumpercover in that center section. The plate is sandwhiched between the black grill, and bumper cover.

I will be ordering Many States have laws against any plate obstruction, that included even frames around them. New York State is one such wonderful place. Chances are pretty good that if they wanna write you a ticket for a "partially obscured" plate, there's no talking your way out of it anyway.
I definitely did not want to remove the tabs on the bumper - it's cheap to get a spare grill.
Obstruction I hope is not an issue here as plate surrounds would do the same and are allowed here.

Originally Posted by Mike J
The vinyl solution here in BC seems to generate tickets.

I guess the advantage of Han's solution is that you do not cut the plate - which you can get a ticket for here in BC. , but the disadvantage is the grill needs to be cut as well as removed. Great alternative!

Cheers,

Mike
Yeah Vinyl is no option!

Removal of grill went easier then I expected. Re-installing with the plate attached went back in without any damage to the paint, plate or grill. If I wanted to I could actually switch back and forth between grills. But if my idea of an alternate option works I will share that here.

I will be ordering a replacement grill to put on the shelf.......
Old 05-08-2014, 05:43 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

This looks great. I wish there was a similar solution for non "S" front grilles....... Vertex Porsche carries replacement grilles.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Jeff
This looks great. I wish there was a similar solution for non "S" front grilles....... Vertex Porsche carries replacement grilles.
Step 1: install a Turbo fascia on the car...

Quick Reply: Another front license plate install......